Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin Box hitting Roll-n-lock "tonneau" cover side rails

We brought home our new 337rls on Friday. Leaving the dealer we had questions about clearance between top of truck bed sides and bottom of fifth wheel - we have about 4.5-5" clearance. No one at the dealer said it would be an issue, and we didn't come across anything related to clearance in our pre-purchase research. Backing in, the back of pin box hit the side rails of the Roll-n-Lock cover that's in the back of truck once we are about at 85-90 degree. Nice crimp job. It's about an inch too long (the pin box). We have the 16k pull-rite superglide mounted so that the entire hitch can be removed and when you take it out you have a flat bed for cargo. We either need to raise the hitch or lower the pin box, or look into a new pin box, or remove the roll-n-lock (which we really don't want to do unless it's the last resort). We have the standard OEM Lippert pin box that came installed on it and have been considering replacing it at some point with a Mor-ryde. Any suggestions or thoughts? Anyone had to deal with a similar issue? When hooked up the trailer looks pretty close to level so we're also a little worried about being nose high. Eye-balling it, it looks like we need about an additional 2" of clearance. We're going to call the guys that installed the hitch today and see if they make a riser for it, but wanted to see what else people might be doing.
    2017 Ford F350 dually, Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2016.5 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think raising either the hitch or the pin box would affect your trailer being level. Do you have any pics of what you are speaking of? I can't picture quite what you mean. I think you are saying when you turn the pin box makes contact with the rails. If I recall correctly the roll n lock has pretty heavy duty rails and hardware which might just be too wide for the pin box.

I have a Truxedo Lo-Pro QT soft tonneau cover side rails that only intrude about 4 inches into the bed area on either side.
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    '17 Ram 3500 CTD Sport CC 4x4
    B&W RVK3600

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MJ - Congrats on your new 337. You have encountered the same issue I had 13 yrs ago when I had an '03 Chevy Dmax with Roll-n-Lock cover. Depending on how level your 337 is with your current setup, the answer may be the same that I had back then; getting a different brand of cover. The issue is probably with the cover side rails protruding into the bed which reduces the clear distance as you have discovered.

I loved the Roll-n-Lock, but did find that Fold-a-Cover works just as well; however differently and there isn't as much loss of side clearance. I liked the cover so much that a new one was installed on my current Ford F250. Just info food for thought.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
    I would think raising either the hitch or the pin box would affect your trailer being level. Do you have any pics of what you are speaking of? I can't picture quite what you mean. I think you are saying when you turn the pin box makes contact with the rails. If I recall correctly the roll n lock has pretty heavy duty rails and hardware which might just be too wide for the pin box.

I have a Truxedo Lo-Pro QT soft tonneau cover side rails that only intrude about 4 inches into the bed area on either side.
    I don't have any pictures....yes, it's the back side of the pin box making contact with the roll-n-lock rails. The rails protrude into the bed about 1-1 1/2".
    2016.5 Reflection 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    MJ - Congrats on your new 337. You have encountered the same issue I had 13 yrs ago when I had an '03 Chevy Dmax with Roll-n-Lock cover. Depending on how level your 337 is with your current setup, the answer may be the same that I had back then; getting a different brand of cover. The issue is probably with the cover side rails protruding into the bed which reduces the clear distance as you have discovered.

I loved the Roll-n-Lock, but did find that Fold-a-Cover works just as well; however differently and there isn't as much loss of side clearance. I liked the cover so much that a new one was installed on my current Ford F250. Just info food for thought.
    There's also only have about 4 1/2 inches of clearance though between the bottom of camper nose and top of sides of truck. It seems this is supposed to be closer to 6". Truck is not squatting at all in the back and we are below GRAWR.
    2016.5 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJBROWN View Post
    We brought home our new 337rls on Friday. Leaving the dealer we had questions about clearance between top of truck bed sides and bottom of fifth wheel - we have about 4.5-5" clearance. No one at the dealer said it would be an issue, and we didn't come across anything related to clearance in our pre-purchase research. Backing in, the back of pin box hit the side rails of the Roll-n-Lock cover that's in the back of truck once we are about at 85-90 degree. Nice crimp job. It's about an inch too long (the pin box). We have the 16k pull-rite superglide mounted so that the entire hitch can be removed and when you take it out you have a flat bed for cargo. We either need to raise the hitch or lower the pin box, or look into a new pin box, or remove the roll-n-lock (which we really don't want to do unless it's the last resort). We have the standard OEM Lippert pin box that came installed on it and have been considering replacing it at some point with a Mor-ryde. Any suggestions or thoughts? Anyone had to deal with a similar issue? When hooked up the trailer looks pretty close to level so we're also a little worried about being nose high. Eye-balling it, it looks like we need about an additional 2" of clearance. We're going to call the guys that installed the hitch today and see if they make a riser for it, but wanted to see what else people might be doing.
    Hi MJBrown, I had the same issue and had posted this on another site. You "Might" be able to find a shorter pinbox depending on your frame. MOR/Ryde has a great doc for reference, I have copied the link here so you can see what you need.

http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downl...ationGuide.pdf

"Hello all, added a RetraxPro cover to my 2015 F450 and found the existing Mor/ryde pin box was about 3" too long with the new cover in 90 deg turns. It came off my 2010 Montana 3750FL. The model number is RPB72-1716 (it is the 15,500 lb max version) (Lippert 1716 replacement). Excellent condition, just too long for me. I replaced it with the Mor/ryde RPB72-1116 as the reduction in "chucking" and overall better ride is actually a real thing!"

Good luck!
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about the rear of the pin box, I've read that some have cut off the excess steel on the rear of the pin box to gain more clearance. If you look at the rear of the pin box there are "fins" for a lack of a better description, that can be cut that will do nothing to affect the strength/durability of the pin box but will allow greater side-to-side clearance.

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    If you are talking about the rear of the pin box, I've read that some have cut off the excess steel on the rear of the pin box to gain more clearance. If you look at the rear of the pin box there are "fins" for a lack of a better description, that can be cut that will do nothing to affect the strength/durability of the pin box but will allow greater side-to-side clearance.
    I explored that option as well but was told by the pinbox manufacturer that it voided the warranty and reduces the "strength" of the component. This now becomes a liability issue should it fail, and the manufacturer won't be the one holding the ball when/if it does...
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJBROWN View Post
    There's also only have about 4 1/2 inches of clearance though between the bottom of camper nose and top of sides of truck. It seems this is supposed to be closer to 6". Truck is not squatting at all in the back and we are below GRAWR.
    I believe that Pullrite sell a 3" lift kit for their hitches. That may be a little too much for your application but you can raise the pin box one set of holes (1") to net a 2" change. Towing a little nose high isn't the end of the world and quite normal given the ride height of the newer HD trucks.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keywestparrothead View Post
    I explored that option as well but was told by the pinbox manufacturer that it voided the warranty and reduces the "strength" of the component. This now becomes a liability issue should it fail, and the manufacturer won't be the one holding the ball when/if it does...
    Would expect nothing different from Lippert. I believe the warranty is only 1 year so depending how long you've owned the RV, you may not have much of a warranty left anyways. I can't imagine trimming a little excess steel would have any effect on the strength of the pinbox.

If you rig tows level now, to gain side-to-side clearance you'll have to raise both the hitch and the pinbox to maintain level which you may want to consider as your clearance is a little low. As you stated, 6" or more is optimal and you don't have that.
    The other option is to keep everything as is and remove/replace the bed cover.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast