Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of adding two 6 volt batteries along with OEM 12 volt

We plan to do a lot of dry camping. I installed a Trimetric 2030 RV battery system monitor so I can keep track of how many amp hours we are using and how much is left in the battery. In checking out how much we draw using lights, fans, etc., it is clear we can't dry camp very long with just the Deka Marine Master DP27 that came with our Reflection 27RL. Once I figure out how much we use in our normal dry camping, I will size solar panels and the battery bank we will need. Since the 12 volt battery is so inadequate, I will have to add at least two 6 volt deep cycle batteries. So I am thinking about adding them now and go ahead using three batteries to figure out our amp hour usage in real camping.

Here are my questions - 1) Are there any problems I should watch for if I use a combination of 6 and 12 volt batteries?
    2) What is the best way to secure and vent the two 6 volt batteries?
    3) Is there an advantage to having a switch where I could run off either the 6 volts, or the 12 volt or both? If so, when would it make sense to use each of those options.
    4) Any suggestions on which 6 volt batteries to use? I have seen a lot of people use Trojan.

Thank you in advance for any advise you can give me.

Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend mixing 6 & 12 volt batteries. It is not even a good idea to mix same voltage batteries of different amp hr ratings.

If you go with 6 volt battery in my opinion go with AGM batteries. More money but they are sealed and you don't need to worry about checking water levels. Get a vented battery box, check out NoCo boxes on the web, and just run a house to the outside.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There are many resources available that agree with Rick that you should never mix 6 volt and 12 volt batteries in a system. Even in adding a second 12 volt battery you should ensure they are a "matched" pair.

It is very easy to vent multiple batteries. Just add some PVC T pieces to join vent tubes from each battery box to the single existing vent tube (see my picture for an example). You would also need to replace your existing battery box to ones that fit the larger 6 votl batteries.

I have 2 - 6 volt Trojan flooded batteries. They give me about 225 amp hours of storage. Next time I may spring the extra money for AGM batteries to remove the need to add water and the need to box and vent them. AGM batteries do not need to be vented.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    AGM batteries do not need to be vented.
    Not needing to vent "sealed" batteries is a common misunderstanding . . .
    AGM batteries can, in some circumstances, produce hydrogen gas and still need to be vented. This would certainly not be a regular occurrence, but can happen. The attached link is a boating reference, but the situation is the same for RVs.
    https://www.boats.com/how-to/sealed-...-need-venting/

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Not needing to vent "sealed" batteries is a common misunderstanding . . .
    AGM batteries can, in some circumstances, produce hydrogen gas and still need to be vented. This would certainly not be a regular occurrence, but can happen. The attached link is a boating reference, but the situation is the same for RVs.
    https://www.boats.com/how-to/sealed-...-need-venting/

Rob
    Good article. Thanks for shedding more light on that issue Rob!
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice. the venting looks good, are the hoses available at a hardware store? Did you screw the battery box into the floor? The explanation about the need to vent AGM batteries is good.

I think I will not combine the batteries, but keep the 12 volt as a "spare". I should be able to do that with a switch that gives options to battery 1 or 2. then I can run off either the two 6 volts, or the 12 volt. I realize I would also have to charge them separately.

Thanks,
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the way to vent the battery box is to cut a hole in the top, insert a plastic flange, and connect a hose or tube to it. I am having a hard time finding a flange and hose that will work for this application. Any suggestions?

Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably look at Marine sources. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave27 View Post
    Thank you for the advice. the venting looks good, are the hoses available at a hardware store? Did you screw the battery box into the floor? The explanation about the need to vent AGM batteries is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave27 View Post
    It looks like the way to vent the battery box is to cut a hole in the top, insert a plastic flange, and connect a hose or tube to it. I am having a hard time finding a flange and hose that will work for this application. Any suggestions?

Dave
    Sorry I didn't get back to these questions Dave but .....

The hose should be available either from a major hardware store (like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-1...BCHD/100275481) along with the PCV T piece and 3 short pieces of PVC pipe. I glued the insert pipe pieces into the T so the clamps would have something to grab. The battery boxes are fastened to the floor with self tapping screws. When went from 12 volt batteries to the 6 volts the 6 volt boxes did NOT have ports to attach the vent hoses to so I drilled large holes on them and the I cut the flanges out of the original 12 volt boxes including a large square piece of the box top, then I just slip them into the hole in the new boxes from inside and they're held in tightly with the hose clamp.

I do have a bunch of pictures of modifying the boxes if you need them but I think you get the idea.

Luckily I had the original 2 - 12 volt boxes with the vent outlets to use but if you don't have those boxes you will have to fab up something similar.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with 4 Trojan T-105's, and a battery box from Century Plastics. It was easy to cut a hole in the top and attach the vent line.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    2017 Reflection 29RS, towed by 2013 F-350 Diesel King Ranch, Crew Cab, short Bed, with Andersen Ultimate 2 Hitch
    540w Solar, 4x6 Trojan T105's, MS2812 Magnum Energy inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV and SC-2030
    WeBoost 4G-M cell booster, DirecTV portable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast