User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COTraveler

Just bought today, and excited to get started!

Hi all,

After doing a TON of research over the past couple of months, and in large part to this great forum, my wife and I decided to purchase a GD Solitude. Today we pulled the trigger on a 2017 375RE, which was slightly longer than we were intending to go. But, the space is perfect for both of us to work full time while on the road! We take delivery in two weeks, and hope to get on the road by September 1 after selling our home.

We also bought a 2016 RAM 3500 CTD SRW short bed today. We briefly considered a DRW, but after consulting with experienced RV friends and family, decided to not go that route. The 20" tires that came standard on our truck are, I believe, E rated and at 3460 load capacity each (I need to double-check that). Besides from making sure our tires are well-equipped, any other suggestions on what to ensure our truck is equipped with would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a sliding hitch that is more compatible with the RAM fifth wheel hitch 'puck system' mount that came standard with our truck, that would be greatly appreciated! We've heard about the Curt system that doesn't require another bracket between the puck system and the hitch?

Thanks again for all of the advice. We can't wait to hit the road!

-Scott

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COTraveler View Post
    Hi all,

After doing a TON of research over the past couple of months, and in large part to this great forum, my wife and I decided to purchase a GD Solitude. Today we pulled the trigger on a 2017 375RE, which was slightly longer than we were intending to go. . . . . . . .

We also bought a 2016 RAM 3500 CTD SRW short bed today. We briefly considered a DRW, but after consulting with experienced RV friends and family, decided to not go that route. The 20" tires that came standard on our truck are, I believe, E rated and at 3460 load capacity each (I need to double-check that). Besides from making sure our tires are well-equipped, any other suggestions on what to ensure our truck is equipped with would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for all of the advice. We can't wait to hit the road!

-Scott
    Your 375RE's kingpin weight of 2840 lbs. and total weight of 13,600 lbs. will likely be much higher after you load your fiver. That's considered a "full size" fifth wheel. So much weight is worthy of dual rear wheels--simply put.

If you've not taken delivery of the truck, see if you can switch to a dually that will do exactly what you need it to do. Yes, a single rear wheel truck will tow it, but there are so many other factors to take into consideration--like stability and roadworthiness.

This question comes up time and time again on RV websites, and experienced fifth wheel owners and full timers will tell you the right answer--go dually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and welcome to our group! The 375 RE is beautiful coach with great livability. We had a 369 RL but just traded to the 376 TH to take a toy with us. You can't go wrong with a Grand Design. When you do your PDI you may want to consider videoing the important parts. There is a lot to remember on these things!
    Hope you have many years of happy traveling in your new home!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would also echo Bamaman's advice. I believe once you get everything loaded up your going to at or over your carrying capacity with a single wheel configuration. I'm firmly in the camp of having too much truck rather then just enough truck. DRW will provide you with a safety margin and peace of mind especially around any mountainess terrain. You may want to reconsider.

If you haven't discovered the RV-Dreams website there is a ton of information that you may find beneficial. Congratulations and be safe.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your Solitude purchase Scott. Welcome to the Grand Design family.

But my thoughts are with Rick and Bamaman on your truck purchase. The Solitude has a GVWR 16,000 lbs. And when full timing it's easy to overload the trailer. The only reason I'm saying anything about the truck is you might be able to upgrade to a dually without too much trouble.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Welcome to our group! Don't worry, be happy
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Bamaman, Rick and el Rojo on the truck, right brand but not enough carrying capacity. We have the truck and Reflection in the signature and we have NO margin of safety. Your Solitude has a dry weight 3000 lbs. over our Reflection, please do the math! We are overjoyed you are joining us, but we want you to be as safe as possible! Again, I recommend RamGunners advice! Best to you!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LC is giving you some balance from us other guys! He is a valuable contributor to our group. He also has a Solitude that weighs 200 lbs. over yours, and a DRW Ram! His worries are less than yours could be! www.RamGunner.com
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow Planner estimates you pin weight at 3609 lbs lightly loaded for weekend trips not a full timer. You still have to add in the hitch weight, passengers, and misc stuff in the truck. Here is a link to Towing Planner. http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/...0&lw=15100&a=3
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Scott: Congratulations on your new RV. I know you'll enjoy it. I'm not sure about the RAM, but my 2015 GMC 3500 SRW has a payload capacity of 4080 lbs. and towing capacity of 17,200 lbs. That is well within the range of safety for your new RV. If your new truck doesn't have air bags, I would definitely consider them. I have towed a similar weight 5th wheel for the last 10yrs with a 2006 GMC 2500 with upgraded tires and air bags. It handled it great.

Sounds like you have done the research and know what you like. There are many advantages to the SRW over the DRW, especially if you plan on destination type camping. Going to restaurants, shopping, parking, touring down narrow roads, drive through's, and just the overall non hauling driving experience is much more pleasant with a SRW.

The Pulrite superglide automatic slider hitch is the way to go if your bed will accept it. It takes all the worry out of accidentally turning to short and damaging your trailer and or truck. Mine has worked flawlessly for the past 10 yrs.

I would also consider an auxiliary fuel tank...or a tool box fuel tank combo. Sure makes it nice not having fuel stations dictate where you stop every 2 or 3 hundred miles.

Another good investment would be a tire pressure monitor system for your trailer, and truck if it doesn't have one. This will warn you if a tire is getting low or building to much heat.

There is no doubt a DRW gives you and extra degree of safety...but everyone needs to use a little common sense and weigh the pros and cons for their individual situation. Looks like you have done that and have chosen the SRW. Hope you have a great time RV'ing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast