User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Let's talk about audio baby, Let's talk about you & me...."

So I wasn't really sure where to post this thread, but since I'm a Reflection 5er, I decided to place it here. Hopefully the thread will spread like that gallon of white paint that you accidentally kicked over on your brand new hardwood floor.

As you probably already know, I pretty much solved the outside speakers (thread and pics on this forum) and although not "audiophile" in quality, they do a yeoman's job for what their mission is outside - i.e. Barry Manilow would be over joyed at his voice coming outta those Kenwood's. As is always the case, the inside speakers didn't sound so bad only because the outside OEM's suck. Now that they don't suck, the inside OEM's have now taken up the suckiness charge. And THAT.....Tom will not allow on his watch. So......

Off to Best Buy I go (coulda gotten 'em cheaper on eBay but I believe in helping the economy while the dollar is still a viable fiat currency) to get a pair of JBL 6.5" GX602 two way speakers (they're on sale for $80 bucks which is a steal). They fit with minimal effort, have a very smooth an accurate sound, mounting depth isn't an issue, and they're esthetically nice looking. The best part is where they're mounted and the stuffing around them. Oh - and Barry Manilow isn't worthy of these speakers. Steely Dan and Acoustic Alchemy are.

To get technical for a moment, the mere fact that the speakers are mounted in a area with insulation is acoustically almost perfect - especially for bass frequencies. You see....a "driver" (aka speaker) is composed of a cone and the speakers "motor". This "motor" is comprised of a magnet and in the middle of the magnet, there's a voice coil (which is nothing more that a paper tube with a some very thin wire wrapped around & around & around it based upon the number of turns some geeky Engineer specified) that's attached to the speaker cone. When that coil gets an electrical signal from the receiver/amp, it produces a magnetic field. The field is opposite in polarity from the magnet. So the cone moves outward due to the opposing magnetic fields and when that happens, the cone (in this case a pretty good size of 6+") moves forward, excites the air and produces a wave front that is low in frequency. Hence a "bass" sound. However, when there's no electrical signal going to the voice coil, the cone's suspension system (paper, rubber, cloth) pulls the cone backwards. Now, if you're following all this "movement", you're probably saying, "Well ain't there a wave front produced off the back of the cone when it retracts?" And you'd be spot on Hickory Smoked Bacon breath. I won't go into push-pull or passive radiators or servo or whatever subs. However - if you EVER can't get to sleep at night, lemme know and I promise you those subjects will have you zzzzzzzz'ing in no time.

So there's a couple of things speaker designers can do to fix this back wave issue. One is to design a cabinet that is so large in volume that the pressure wave is a non-issue. Another trick is to use the back wave to reinforce the bass using a "port" in the cabinet which is essentially a plastic tube of a known diameter and length that is flared on the outlet end. Another would be to stuff the cabinet with some type of foam or fill like what's used in pillows. This technique is typically used for small speaker enclosures because the fill's total surface area is "seen" by the cone as a larger volume than is in reality. So now we've come full circle.

All that insulation in the ceiling aids in the quelling of the cone's back wave thus making the bass output "tighter" (less boomy"), the overall sound being smoother, more accurate, and a speaker that has modest specifications being an over achiever! Ain't that some shi.......uh.....I mean......cool????

But what I really think is the cat's meow (not sure why I said that because (sorry cat owners) I don't like cats) is a solution I've come across in my research to find an audio system that will not only fit but not break the bank and has excellent sonics. Yep - tall order. However.......I am so great and talented that that challenge was routine for me (cough....gag.....puke).

So here's what I think is the dogs bark. Frankly......I'm not going to invest in this Harman Kardon system now (unless the bad angel of my second Martini wins). But this system is in my future because it rids, IMHO, all of the short comings of the Furrion system - from power to DVD playback to connectivity to expandability to musicality to.....whatever. And you can count on HK delivering high quality components. Best of all - it fits our cabinets with minimal modifications. Check this system out:

http://www.harmankardon.com/home-the.../BDS+3772.html

OH GRAND DESIGN GREAT FAVOG......hear the plea of YrHmblanObdientServnt. I beg ye to venture down the righteous path of innovation to the game changer well and pull this product from the clutches of the Harman Kardon warehouse. If not, I will be forced to open a reto-fit business and make millions of dollars.

Tom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, you should write a book. You are hilarious!!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could talk audio theory all day long. Ask me how many positions I've tried my dual subs in for my home theater!

If I had more time I would completely revamp the audio system in the camper. Put a receiver in the cabinet instead of the Furrion head unit, add a subwoofer behind the fireplace, and replace the ceiling speakers as you did. Probably wouldn't be that hard, but I'm afraid of what I'd find behind that Furrion -- I'm guessing there would be a lot of "figuring out" once you're back there...
    2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)
    2010 Ford F350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke 4x4 CrewCab SRW
    PullRite SuperGlide 20k hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    I could talk audio theory all day long. Ask me how many positions I've tried my dual subs in for my home theater!

If I had more time I would completely revamp the audio system in the camper. Put a receiver in the cabinet instead of the Furrion head unit, add a subwoofer behind the fireplace, and replace the ceiling speakers as you did. Probably wouldn't be that hard, but I'm afraid of what I'd find behind that Furrion -- I'm guessing there would be a lot of "figuring out" once you're back there...
    Not really - and plenty of room for fishing extra cables through, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm humbled that you find my musings entertaining.

Thank you.

Tom

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you done the trick whereby you place your subs in your listening position. Then, using a bass tone, you walk around the room listening for where that tone seems to be amplified. This is the room's "node". Theoretically, if you place the sub in that location, one should hear the same amplitude results in your listening position. Another more tedious method, and one that requires a VERY patient (strong helps too) assistant, is sit in your listening position and have your assistant place the sub in various locations in the room while you listen for the response. Once you find that location, you're done.

Another subwoofer system that tends to be immune to room nodes and bass pickiness are infinite baffle systems. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Infinite baffle.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	4946

In this example, the subs are al facing into a box (plenum). All of them are in phase, which means they all excursion outward at the same time when a signal is applied. The pressure wave is then vented upward out of the plenum into the room above through an ordinary looking vent register. Since bass frequencies are non-directional (for the most part), the room is filled with bass without any areas that are attenuated or amplified. The term infinite baffle comes from the fact that the rear of the sub operates in an area of virtually an infinite volume - in this case a basement.

Or, since I perceive you pg to have unlimited funds, You may wanna consider a subwoofer horn such as this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sub.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	4947

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............

Tom

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    The mix of humor and information is awesome! keep it up.

Thank you very much,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, were the speakers you replaced with the JBL's the 6" furrion speakers?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they were.

Tom

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And were there easy to remove and replace?
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast