User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lippert spring info that Pat attached to post #16, has an "interesting" column. Loaded arch height = 1.75".
    If I/we can figure out how to measure this and it is less than this number on a trailer that is not overloaded . . . I would say that the OEM spring selection does not meet their own supplier specs.

From what I can find on the internet, arch height is centre line of eyes to top of spring pack.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob that figure you came up with of 1.75" looks like what the springs in the picture have. If you look at the center of the u bolt which is the bottom spring to the top of the spring at the axle it appears to have that 1.75" arch.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The Lippert spring info that Pat attached to post #16, has an "interesting" column. Loaded arch height = 1.75".
    If I/we can figure out how to measure this and it is less than this number on a trailer that is not overloaded . . . I would say that the OEM spring selection does not meet their own supplier specs.

From what I can find on the internet, arch height is centre line of eyes to top of spring pack.

Rob
    OK, I've been I am working on a spread sheet to calculate spring rates, and came over to forum to see if there was anything new and it looks like Rob and I are on the same page.

I am doing calcs based on, 3" unloaded arch and 1.75 loaded arch @ spring capacity. So basically there should be 1.25" of travel in the spring when rated weight is applied. I am using 3" unloaded and 1.75" loaded based on spring mfg research, not perfect but will be close enough for my needs. This is also based on 25.25" eye2eye springs.

I will report results probably tomorrow morning.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question, can I post an excel spreed sheet in the forum or do I need to do a table? I will probably post both ways if possible so those that use excel can do their on calcs. if needed.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pat,

We will figure out how to work with your excel spreadsheet. Either within the forum, or we could go to email and post PDFs on the forum. I have some data to add. I measured each location from U bolt top plate to underside of frame. Not exactly "loaded arch" measurement but related. I will go back at this tomorrow and try to measure loaded arch. I also lifted each U bolt location with my Sherline weigh scale, so I know how much weight each spring is carrying. Part of the problem is that my driveway slopes down towards the front of the trailer so, with the trailer adjusted to level, the rear trailer tires are carrying more weight than the front tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time you're on the road check the temps on the left side wheels vs the right side wheels. I checked mine a couple days ago during a long haul down I-10 and the left side wheels were quite a bit hotter than the right side. Not overly hot where I was concerned about them going out, but very noticeable. I had no idea this thing was heavier on the left side but that would explain it. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why one side was so much hotter. I run with 1/3 tank of water for emergencies. I'll make sure there is plenty of grease in the bearings and keep an eye on it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leon,

I just did all my brakes and manually packed my bearing an did an 1800 mile round trip to Idaho. Checked my hubs and brake temps with my hand at every stop. The temps were just a little warm on the hubs and brakes typically about the same except for one time after a 6% grade going south on I-5 and the drums were still touchable, hubs ok.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Sent you a PM re: Spring Rate Spread Sheet, think I need you email address if you want to see it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Next time you're on the road check the temps on the left side wheels vs the right side wheels. I checked mine a couple days ago during a long haul down I-10 and the left side wheels were quite a bit hotter than the right side. Not overly hot where I was concerned about them going out, but very noticeable. I had no idea this thing was heavier on the left side but that would explain it. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why one side was so much hotter. I run with 1/3 tank of water for emergencies. I'll make sure there is plenty of grease in the bearings and keep an eye on it.
    Leon T,

I have not seen a significant hub temperature difference side to side, but sun load will make a significant difference to tire temperature and pressure. The tires on the sunny side will always run several PSI higher than the tires on the shady side . . . even though they all started at 80 PSI that morning.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    Rob, don't quote but if memory serves me correct, the arch is measured the distance from the straight line eye to eye to the top of the main leaf spring. If that's makes sense.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast