User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bent spring on 303RLS?

Adding 10ga. wires to axles for right brakes I noticed my left Springs seemed to have a bit of an S shape to them. My fist barely fits between top of tires and trailer on left side and fit easily on right side. Is this the normal look of the springs on the left side on a Reflection 303RLS?

I have read on this site that someone replaced their Springs with 7000# Springs to gain some height which might be bonus to me once I add air bags on truck. I also encountered a situation where I thought I blew a tire (saw puff of smoke on left rear) when I had a full load of water for dry camping, but found that the left rear tire slightly rubbed on plastic above tire (rolling 2 lane road appx 35mph).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160706_163258.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	4991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160706_163828.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	4992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160706_164058.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	4993
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Upon my first glance at the pictures I'm thinking there's no arc what so ever on those springs. Either the trailer is overloaded or the springs are weak. Just my take. Maybe someone with the same trailer will look at theirs and chime in.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the one that switched to 7K springs, initially to gain enough clearance for 16" wheels but it also helped level the trailer some. It is still a bit lower on the left side but not nearly as much as with the original springs. The 303 is quite a bit heavier on the left side. All the appliances and most of the inside storage is on the left side. According the weight sheet that came with our unit, the left side wheels are carrying 600 lbs more than the right side with the trailer empty and I bet it is more like 900 lbs when loaded.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTulsa View Post
    Upon my first glance at the pictures I'm thinking there's no arc what so ever on those springs. Either the trailer is overloaded or the springs are weak. Just my take. Maybe someone with the same trailer will look at theirs and chime in.
    Rick,
    Yes they look pretty flat to me also. The trailer is level on a level pad with supports down just enough to stabilize. Maybe 100 lbs in pantry and tanks empty. Heaviest I've loaded it was fresh tank full 1 time and only traveled about 50 miles that way. Have hit some unavoidable rough spots in the 5k I've towed it, but no big pot holes. It did get a lot of oscillating bouncing on I-10 through Louisiana, man that part of the road sucks. Previous owner only used 5 times and a very meticulous guy, so not sure of that part of its life.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick,

EDIT: Found the link where you talked about your springs and tires: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...-on-the-303RLS
    But would like to know spring mfg. and part number.

Yea, love the layout of the 303 but don't like the weight distribution. Thanks for the L/R weight numbers.

How are those 7k springs working out for you? Did you put the 16's on and what kind/size tires? How much clearance between top of tires and trailer? Any rubbing issues? I really don't like how the stock tires on the left look when ready to travel so would like 16's on mine also. Note: I typically only run with about 15-20 gallons of water in the fresh tank and maybe 150 lbs. in pantry/refer. combined. Oh wait forgot about all the cloths my wife packs.....

Sorry for all the questions, but inquiring minds need to know :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat,

Below are pictures from our 303, front axle passenger side, Rear axle drivers side. I have a few more things blocking the view (shocks and Disc Brake lines), both of the driver side springs have some degree of negative arch. The front axle driver side is more pronounced (I did not take a picture do to glare). All 4 are relatively flat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6797.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	4995 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6798.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	4996
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7K springs are working out well. Things seem to ride just as well inside. I'm using 235/80 16's. We did have one make contact before installing the 7K's but it didn't do any damage other than a tear in the fabric with was easily patched. Probably did it on a speed bump in one of the parks we used. No problems since installing the new springs. I'm thinking of adding some spacers, 1" on the right side and 1 1/2" on the left to even it up a bit more and add a little more clearance in case I want to go to 235/85's which are 1/2" greater radius, but I don't need them for my present setup. I think someone else has already done this.

Our 303 came with a sheet from the factory giving the actual empty weights for left side, right side and pin for our VIN. Check you documentation package, you might have one as well.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody tried heavier springs on just the street side ?
    It would seem to make some sense to match the springs to the load they are carrying.
    If the street side is 1000 lbs heavier . . . why would we expect it to have the same springs as the curb side ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Has anybody tried heavier springs on just the street side ?
    It would seem to make some sense to match the springs to the load they are carrying.
    If the street side is 1000 lbs heavier . . . why would we expect it to have the same springs as the curb side ?
    Careful Rob, now you are talking like an engineer. Logical, data driven concept!
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey neighbor Chuck,

We are up by Auburn, CA

WOW you went all out on your suspension!

Thanks for the pics, your spring from what I can tell don't look as flat as mine.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast