User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funky sewer smell after flushing

Ok, I've searched and can't find the answer. I cleaned the camper last week including flushing the black tank until everything coming out was clear. Now when we flush the toilet, there is a sewer smell coming in the bathroom. I crawled into the storage are and opened everything up but there is no leak or smell from the storage area, even after flushing. Found the black tank flush Vacumn breaker but in my searching, mention was made that the smell won't be coming from that. But i flushed with my nose near the vacumn breaker just to check. I went up on the roof and took the cap off the vent and doesn't appear to be a problem there. I've gone so far as to fill the bowl and flush and no bubbles which tells me the vent is clear and breathing properly. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick,

You have checked all the logical things.
    When liquid is put into the tank, the displaced air (and smells) are supposed to go up the vent stack. Obviously they are not. There was discussion recently (that I can't find for some reason) where someone found a broken vent pipe. Can you track the vent pipe from tank to stack . . . looking for a break or a crack ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick,

Theory #2 . . . this one would require a plugged vent stack and a faulty AAV.
    Is the smell coming from under the sink? Grey tank AAV (air admittance valve) failure is a common problem.
    The black and grey vent lines connect to the same vent stack. If the stack is blocked, the black tank air could find its way into the grey tank and out through a leaking AAV. Just a (rather unlikely but possible) theory . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Patrick,

You have checked all the logical things.
    When liquid is put into the tank, the displaced air (and smells) are supposed to go up the vent stack. Obviously they are not. There was discussion recently (that I can't find for some reason) where someone found a broken vent pipe. Can you track the vent pipe from tank to stack . . . looking for a break or a crack ?

Rob
    Rob, that was my post. I can't link to it from my phone. The title of the thread was "new odor source located". If somebody can link to it, it might help him.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link to the thread and posts Jim references: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...highlight=odor

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put more fresh water in the toilet and clean the seal at the bottom of the bowl...that should solve it.

P.S. make sure the flush valve comes (foot pedal) comes all the way up to seal the ball too.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually