User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Counter Top Scratch Repair?

Last year on our travels we got into a bad habit of placing our sink cover on the counter. Now our counter has hundreds of shallow scratches in the surface that I suspect is from the two surfaces rubbing on each other. All in I can find in my materials is that the counters are listed as "hard surface" but I couldn't find any clarification on what exactly the material is.

I guess my question is if anyone knows how I might be able to restore these without replacing them? On another forum someone asked a similar question and was being advised to sand them with a very fine grit paper while others suggested buffing them out with a compound. I certainly don't want to do more harm or leave them dull but they are driving Deb crazy.

Thoughts?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul--I had this link saved as someone on the forum shared it as the counter top material/color/style for our Reflections. http://www.lghimacsusa.com/products/89/89

I did not verify so trust you can with the HiMacs and/or GDRV. If you go to the Customer link above right, there is a care and maintenance section.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's timely !

I just took a picture of ours (which looks almost exactly like Paul's) and was about to post a question on what to do about these light scratches.
    No point in posting my picture. Dan, thanks for the link !

Paul, when you drilled the hole for something (soap dispenser maybe?) do you recall how thick the surface material is ? Are we working with a veneer or more like a solid surface ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Paul--I had this link saved as someone on the forum shared it as the counter top material/color/style for our Reflections. http://www.lghimacsusa.com/products/89/89

I did not verify so trust you can with the HiMacs and/or GDRV. If you go to the Customer link above right, there is a care and maintenance section.

Dan
    Thanks Dan. I will check out the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Well, that's timely !

I just took a picture of ours (which looks almost exactly like Paul's) and was about to post a question on what to do about these light scratches.
    No point in posting my picture. Dan, thanks for the link !

Paul, when you drilled the hole for something (soap dispenser maybe?) do you recall how thick the surface material is ? Are we working with a veneer or more like a solid surface ?

Rob
    Rob, it is not a veneer and probably 1/2" thick? I'm guessing, of course I could go out and take a quick and easy peek but I'm laid up wit a damn cold and trying to shake it. But, it is definitely a solid piece. Solid doesn't in this case denote toughness because these fine scratches were produced with really very little abuse.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Man Dan (I know), that does look exactly like our counter tops. Here is what they say:

REPAIRING SCRATCHES
    For removing superficial scratches, rub in a circular motion with a wet #7448 Scotch Brite buffing pad until the scratches are removed. Clean thoroughly with soap and water and let dry.

Deep scratches can be removed by carefully sanding lightly with 120 grit sandpaper followed by 220 and 320-grit sandpaper. Then rub the surface with a wet #7448 Scotch Brite pad in a circular motion to restore the finish. For added protection, or if any additional luster is desired, after the surface is dry, apply a non-wax polish cleaner or other recommended surface dressing and wipe with a clean, dry cloth. Wipe dry using another clean cloth.

I'm going to try it.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I can't find this particular pad (#7448) anywhere locally so I guess I will order a box from Amazon. $25 for 20 pads. I'm sure I'll never need 20 pads but its a small price to pay to keep Deb happy.

Happy wife, happy life
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let us know how it works out for you Paul. We have some minor scratches too.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to the rally next month Poppy you could sell them for $5 a piece, I'm sure everyone has some scratches that need to be fixed.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Let us know how it works out for you Paul. We have some minor scratches too.

Jim
    Will do. Amazon says it will be here Tuesday. If it works I'll mail you a couple pads
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    It's likely a similar material to Corian. I have cut that material with a radial saw and lathe. I'm pretty sure it is an acrylic polymer material (I have 42 years in the plastic industry). It can be polished with plastic polishing compound and/or pads. The finish, from satin to high gloss can be controlled by the finishing grit level you use. I'm sure you can find larger and cheaper pads on Amazon. They are best used with water dipping them into a container of water to flush the grit frequently. 8,000-12,000 grit will give you a very high gloss finish. If you polish the surface too much you can always go back to a larger grit to achieve the desired look.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/145...nding-kit.aspx

Regards,
    Kevin
    PS: For larger areas you can use a car buffer and liquid plastic buffing compounds.
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast