User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General observations from a 2014 303 owner after two years.

After dragging our part-time house for 13,000 miles and probably 85-100 campsites in the last two years here is list of what has broken, what we like and would like, and to make sure everyone knows up front, we love our Grand Design Reflection, and will continue to "drag" it around for quite some time. But we just returned from a 2+ month trip and I was trying to capture these thoughts in one place. Hope to see you in Elkhart in August!

2014 303 RLS 5th wheel.
    We have unit build #405, we purchased in May 2014

Things we liked initially and still do -
    The insulation package
    The space utilization
    The colors
    Things we added before picking it up
    Slide Toppers
    Fantastic Fans w/remotes in the Bathroom and Kitchen
    Things we found during the walk through
    Dining Room Slide front window wouldn’t open (ordered a new window)
    Things we found after we picked it up (not all at the same time)
    The table insert wouldn’t fit (ordered a new top)
    The furnace didn’t work (found the tubing was crushed and not connected)
    The kitchen grey tank only held 19 gallons (ordered a new tank)
    The kitchen island interior stain was not sealed (ordered new doors)
    The electric side of the refrigerator went out (rv dealer fixed – part on hand)
    The strap that holds the LP line on the kitchen slide broke (has now broken 3 times)
    The tires were only “D” rated, not “E” rated as the tag stated (ordered new tires)
    We discovered Grease on the wheels, and took it Lippert in Goshen, In. to repack.

So, during the first 6 months of ownership, we used the trailer twice, and had it in the shop for a total of 4 months. Now, since we’ve owned it, it has now been in different shops 8 times.

Fast forward 8,000 miles of travel this year, and it’s now Summer of 2016.

Problems since that first year -
    We had one serious breakdown where the bearings that Lippert repacked 2015 seized up and we had to have one axle replaced along with one tire, all of the bearings repacked, and realigned.
    The Kank Leak water system developed a leak behind the panel, and it’s now in the shop getting that repaired.
    The TV quit working, and Grand Design sent a new one to replace it.
    Small changes we’ve made to make our life easier –
    Changed out the towel bar for one that’s 4” wider
    Added acrylic plastic to the bathroom “open” cabinet to hold stuff in place (actually cut 8x10 picture in half)
    Added adjustable shelf brackets to the wardrobe to stack shoes and laundry
    Added a shelf in the pantry to hold a collapsible step
    Bought a pizza stone so that the oven will cook more evenly
    We must have stock in Velcro and Drawer liners – use them everywhere.
    Things we’ve discovered we don’t like – in 13,000 miles of RVing with the 303.
    Rocking recliners – there’s no room to move in them, they bang the walls in route, there is no place to set your drink.
    The couch – it’s very uncomfortable, impossible to sleep on if you needed to.
    The bed, we gave it away after the 1st outing. We replaced it with a “bed in a box”
    My wife hates the cooktop (too small)
    The kitchen faucet – we replaced it with a Moen residential faucet
    The bathroom faucet – we are looking for a replacement
    Leveling the rig manually, but we won’t spend $$$$ to add auto levelers. (Our dealer says they are a gimmick, the only “real” self -levelers are on the Solitudes). We think we have this figured out, except in extreme sites that we’ve been in.
    Things that have changed since our 2014 was built that we would like to have –
    Extra chassis lift from the welded square tube where the axles attach (might actually make the trailer ride level while attached to our truck, and allow us to not unhook some nights.
    New chairs and couch (maybe they are more comfortable?)
    Placement of the electrical plug on the side of the unit instead of the rear
    Wired access for a back up camera
    New Water panel
    Trailer Hitch
    Different Refrigerator
    New awnings appear to have a better angle on them
    Improvements we would like in general
    Better brakes
    Roto-Flex pin box or equivalent
    Dexter Axles as options
    16” tires as options
    More insulation in the wardrobe slide
    Better sun/heat control for rear window
    So, there you have it - 2 years of our learning curve.
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting! Having only become aware of the 303RLS (and Grand Design!) late this past winter, I was unaware of some of the design tweaks GD made to the 303RLS over the last 3 years. Wife and I have had ours out twice (in 2 weeks!), 3rd trip coming up the first weekend of August. We are very pleased with what we've purchased. Only two items that I shake my head and think, "what were the designers thinking?" #1 - key and lock mechanisms. Three keys (which I can live with), but all cheap feeling and temperamental getting the keys in and out, a shot of WD40 (I know the debates!) has helped, those are on my list to replace. #2 - A black awning! Oh yes, coordinates with the A/C covers and color scheme well, stand under it on a summer afternoon and you can feel the heat coming down from it. I saw a Solitude at the park we were at last weekend, brown multi-color/fade, looked good. Wish I had seen the black awning before signing the purchase agreement, I would have asked them to change it. That too, is on my list to replace, maybe next spring when I add the slide-toppers for a touch of shade over the slides.

From your experience, and that of others, I'm well aware of the axles, possible "thin" grease and seal failures. Your reference to the strap holding the LP line to the kitchen slide caught my eye. I have added that to my list of Quarterly PM Checks.

Mods already made, the usual mud-dauber screens over water heater and furnace vents. Vent covers. Progressive Industries hardwired EMS. Yesterday, I received from TorkLift, a set of their GlowStep Revolution steps to evaluate. I had purchased a set for my last trailer, posted pictures and provided feedback, continued my dialog with Torklift and was offered a free set to evaluate on this trailer. Those go in this weekend.

Overall, solid trailer, good value for our money and I'm confident in the quality. I'll try to post yearly updates, give others a sense of change over time and how things are holding up.
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike and Tom, thank you for your thorough input on our favorite brand of homes on wheels! I can certainly relate to many of the items in both of Mikes lists. The improvements that you made we duplicated to some extent in our 337, mostly as part of the initial purchase. As full timers, we have put more wear on the interior and exterior probably traveling at least 35000 coach miles (50000 on our truck). Because I spent 40 plus years in many facets of the automotive field, the issues with the axles and brakes really produce frustration and anger. Thoroughly cleaning brakes on my original set of axles due to seal leakage, replacing brakes due to seal leakage on my replacement 6000 lb. axles after less than a year is not what we should expect from parts from the leader in the industry! Mike I do not know whether you are pursuing compensation for your axle(s), but a piece of evidence- even though my brakes were soaked and saturated with grease this last go-around, there still was plenty in the bearings that Lippert packed and installed! As I recall, your pictures showed a dry, dry condition. We are glad you are enjoying the RV life despite the breakdowns!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have a 2014 303, January plant 3, line 3 , unit 003. Thats alot of 3s!
    Been on a 3 month trip south, 4 month trip west, 4 months stationary in FL and several shorter trips.

After 2 & 1/2 yrs we still love almost everything about our 303. The layout still works well for us and most problems have been minor .
    We agree, the sleeper couch is horrible to sleep on (so we're told by guests). Over all we have a pretty good build and think we'll keep it

What we changed or added
    Added a residential mattress, we sleep great
    100 watts solar, portable. May add another 100 someday

We changed the brakes to auto adjusters in the first year , no greasy brakes before we did. We're ready to grease and new seals b4 we head to the rally.
    on edit, while doing routine wheel maintanance we just found evevidence of old leaky grease, lippert service center in Elkhart changed the brakes to self adjusters on the way home from the first (2014) rally. Half assed cleaned it up, repacked the bearings ,put on dexter seals which have not leaked. BUT, they had never informed us of the leaking.
    Added a lift to accomodate the 16" tires the dealer thought would fit and did not place our order correctly or as requested. Dealer paid for the lift to be done at a welding shop.
    Ordered with rocker recliners, still happy with those. I use a chair for a side table and push the recliners up against the wall for travel. They have never crept out.
    Removed 2 dining chairs and added a small short ,light storage drawer unit under the table/ window where the 2 chairs were. Still have plenty room to sit at the table.
    Added a 2nd ducted AC after the 2nd long trip
    Fantastic fan in bath and kitchen

​Problems in the past 2 1/2 yrs , most all repaired under warranty. Most issues were with components that GD did not make and minor irritations.

• Bedroom closet door scratched, replaced before we took posession
      Dining slide out of adjustment, 2 trips to dealer for that
    • Drawer bottom in hutch fell out while in transit
    • Bottom seal under dining slide torn, replaced by GD
    • Exterior bottom protective black panel came loose directing water into trailer Dining slide. Simple fix with adhesive caulk.
    • Shower door came loose after 2 yrs ( note to check screws now and then)
    • The most traumatic to me was I got locked in with 3 dogs and a broken arm and nobody in sight to help. Was Irate with dealer because we complained about lock early on and all they did was lubricate it. I had to one handed dis assemble the lock to get out Dropped it off on the way home from camping local for lock replacement under warranty.
    • The awning motor just stopped working on our last outing, while extended. Will address that with GD and Lippert at the rally
    • Entry step were crooked, replaced by lippert last year
    • Somehow I managed to knock off the oven door while opening it one time, Gary got it back on
    • Propane strap broke, replaced under warranty
    • Fridge seal replaced undeunder warranty.
    • awning pulled away, fixed by GD. Still holding

What we don't like from day 1
    The LED porch/awning light is mega bright and should have a dimmer. Someday we might add one
    A larger awning would have been nice
    The origonal mattress outright sucks

Last edited by WhittleBurner; 08-02-2016 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Forgot about the awning, added leaky seals
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whittleburner,
    What did you do about the bed lift struts when you changed out your mattress? We also have a 303 and changed out the GD mattress for one from Denver Mattress - a great improvement. But since changing the mattress lifting the bed up is very hard.
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchild View Post
    Whittleburner,
    What did you do about the bed lift struts when you changed out your mattress? We also have a 303 and changed out the GD mattress for one from Denver Mattress - a great improvement. But since changing the mattress lifting the bed up is very hard.
    Jchild,

See this thread and the included link to another one for all there is to know about replacing the OE bed lift struts .
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ghlight=struts

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchild View Post
    Whittleburner,
    I have Gary lift the bed and I put a short stick in place to hold it up if it's going to be more than a quick grab.
    We don't store things we need often under the bed so we havent changed the struts yet.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	5112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	5113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	5116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1496.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	5118The LP strap broke on my 303 after a couple of outings also. The hard plastic just can't bend that many times and not break. Its really a poor and cheap design but there is a simple fix. Just add a hinge at the pivot point, the photos show my fix.
    Paul & Julie
    Cody our Australian Cattle dog
    Jack the Ripper ( our cat )
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 F-350 Super Duty

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul
    Mike George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, we will be doing this one! I have a bald spot on my head from holding the bed up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast