Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings from Iowa

Well, it is now official, so time to put the post up. Today the DW and I picked up our 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH. This is our first ever camper/travel trailer/etc. Pulling it with our 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4. Got the Equal-i-zer 10K hitch setup. Got the trailer picked up today and finished all paperwork. Have to go back for a replacement on the outside kitchen drawer as that was an issue, but GD couldn't get dealership new one in time. And they were to do mud dauber screens on outside, but forgot and were out today. So when go back for the drawer they will do those.

So, on the unit we had MaxxAir II covers put on the master bedroom and bathroom vents and the MaxxAir Fan Mate on the kitchen one in case we upgrade that fan at some point. We also had the GD rear ladder installed. That was all done and looks good back there. And glad we have it to get up and check or clear slide before closing.

Took it home and loaded up with stuff we had been keeping and putting together. So far have tons of room left. Got to KOA camp ground for overnight shake down. Got everything hooked up, except waste as wasn't close enough for our 20' hose to reach. Note to self for next time. Will just have to pull forward some and hook up to flush and dump. Do have city water and cable hooked up and all that is working.

Only issue so far is it is 100 degrees or so out and taking a bit to get cooled down. Does have 15K A/C, but just damn hot out. Now, while running A/C, TV on doing cable channel search, and radio on, the main fuse kept blowing. With TV and A/C or radio and A/C we were fine, but add that other one and it would pop. Not sure if that is something in the trailer or the power supply we are hooked up to. We are running a Technology Research 34830 Surge Guard. So not sure what is up with that.

Last issue is how it tows down the highway. So, after we got loaded up at home and were heading out we stopped at the CAT scales and weighed the setup. I was in the truck with our lab, about just under 3/4 tank of gas and had following:

- Steer Axle: 3320 lb
    - Drive Axle: 3260 lb
    - Trailer Axle: 6080 lb
    - Gross Weight: 12,660 lb

Now, truck front and rear axle ratings are 3950 each and GCWR of truck is 15,000. So we seem pretty good on everything. My concern is the truck/trailer combo does not run smoothly down the highway. We feel like we need to take some dramamine or something. Back end is really bouncing around. Any input on what to look at doing to help with that? Do our numbers above look good or are we too light on the drive axle? Truck and trailer setup look to be setting almost perfectly level. Just get that bad bouncing. Trailer tire pressures were at 70 psi at all four tires. Truck rear tires running down the road were about 41-42 psi each and front tires were running about 39-40 psi each. Again, running about 95 degrees out when we were on the road. But just gets to bouncing bad. Tried speeds from 50-65 on the highway (in 70mph zone) and still did it at all speeds. Any input on what to check to fix that would be greatly appreciated. The truck runs down the road absolutely smoothly unloaded, but not so much loaded. Not getting hardly any sway, no issues when we got passed by or passed semis, but has this bad bouncing that would like to get resolved.

Let me know if you need any other info on the setup to help figure that out. We have the Equal-i-zer on the second from the bottom hole (one hole left down) for the setup at the a-frame of the trailer. And, again, it is supposed to be the 10K setup. No experience with WDH, so not sure next step on that one...

Pics coming...
    Eric & Andrea
    2016 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooked up at dealership getting ready to head out:

Sent from space on my com link.
    Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new camper...now get out there and enjoy it!

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are out doing overnight tonight. Just DW, the dog, and me. Taking our 2 girls out all next weekend. Already setup for local KOA KVR free night stay weekend. And they do local punch card where get free night after every 2 you pay for.

Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't read all of your posted weighing before the other post. Would have been good to weigh the truck without the camper attached and another weighing with the camper attached but without the W/D bar snapped up in place. From that you'd be able to see what your tongue weight is (around 13% is best) and how tongue weight is being re-distributed by the hitch.

The addition of air bags on the truck will stop most of that bouncing you're experiencing.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Iowa Doughy42
    Looks like we got our rvs at the same place. We have a Solitude we got in April. Marshall County here. Where are you located?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow congrats. Nice pics. You have a nice looking truck. You should definitely look into stopping that bounce. I get a little bounce with my Silverado and 2600 when hitting uneven road on a bridge or something but otherwise it rides and pulls smooth. I think Dave is right on with saying you need to look at tongue weight. Seems to heavy. Good luck and have a great time at the KOA.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in Polk County up in Ankeny. Good Life was pretty decent to work with.

Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey did you try to move some things from front storage and load it back in the bunks? Just as a test to see if bounce stops?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast