Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator issues and extreme frustration!

Was out last week and the onan 5500 in our new momentum 328m ran flawlessly on Wed & Thurs. Started it up on Friday am...it ran maybe 2 min and immediately shut down. Restarted it again and again it ran maybe 2 min and shut down. Due to circumstances on needing some "electrical" power, We drove two hours to the closest town and bought a Honda 2000i (just for small electrical needs...NO AC use!!) and then back to the camp. Got Back to camp and I checked the oil in the onan and it was fine. I tried restarting it...fired right up and ran perfectly the rest of the weekend! Figures!!

Yesterday we took off for the weekend. Got all set up cranked the generator and again...ran 2 - 3 mins and shut down! Code is 58. Extremely frustrated and luckily I had not returned the Honda! Can anyone give some advice or is my only chose to take it back to the dealer??

Papa Bear
    Me, My Wife and our two Boys
    Sophia, our Toller
    2015 Momentum 328m
    2016 Chevy LTZ CC, LB, 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison (Brand NEW)
    B&W Turn-Over Ball with B&W Companion fifth wheel Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an odd intermittent issue with our generator as well (Onan 5.5k). 90% of the time it fired right up and did its thing. The other 10% it would start slowly or not start at all. No rhyme or reason what caused it. Was causing the transfer switch to hang once it fired up and wouldn't switch the trailer over to generator power. Took it into Cummins in Portland and they cleaned up the fuel lines and checked the electrical connections which all tested okay. Not sure exactly what they did but it hasn't done it since.

Tech gave me this tip if having issues or if you haven't fired it in a while - flip the 2 breakers "off" on the generator itself prior to starting it. Let it run 10-15 minutes and get up to operating temp then flip the breakers back on. Supposed to help with generator life, transfer switch life, etc. and gives it a chance to warm up prior to having a big power draw.

Good luck amigo! The dealers I talked to didn't even want to look at it and said there was little they could do for it without voiding the Onan warranty. Cummins knows these generators inside and out so if you have one close by it may be worth a trip.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the fuse on the control panel. The connections get loose or corroded, cause all kinds of intermittent problems
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I found, error 58 is "high exhaust gas temperature" and requires dealer service. I'd contact GD direct and let them refer you to someone.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have an appointment 8/8 with the Onan dealer. Will post results.
    Thanks guys.

PB
    Sophia, our Toller
    2015 Momentum 328m

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PapaB - I was going to add that Onan will get you in much more quickly than most dealers but I didn't want to jinx you...

Hope it turns out well for you. Please do keep us updated as I am not 100% sure our issue is fixed but rather less frequent. Guess I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop....I, like you, really dislike being hung out without a working generator when you are depending on it.

Edit - Where are you at in MT? We are currently in Libby just chilling and fishing after a long home visit.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to frighten you but just had mine repair it was doing same thing basically. Run and shut off. Mechanic cleaned carburetor it ran little longer but still shut off. Then found pumped had small leak and changed pump. It ran for 30 minutes and shut off. Then. It showed an error code. Low oil pressure , he manually put a gauge to check pressure and pressure was good. Long story short the brain was malfunctioning and hanged the brain runs like a champ now. One thousands dollars later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse the misspelled words.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavergne View Post
    Not to frighten you but just had mine repair it was doing same thing basically. Run and shut off. Mechanic cleaned carburetor it ran little longer but still shut off. Then found pumped had small leak and changed pump. It ran for 30 minutes and shut off. Then. It showed an error code. Low oil pressure , he manually put a gauge to check pressure and pressure was good. Long story short the brain was malfunctioning and hanged the brain runs like a champ now. One thousands dollars later

Mine still under warranty...thank goodness!!
    Sophia, our Toller
    2015 Momentum 328m

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours was intermittent last week too, seemed to help if I pulled the carb fuel line off and manually primed it. My buddy had a similar issue and Cumming seems to think it is heat related. Here is what he told me:
    -----
    BTW...my generator stopped working on saturday evening... I took it in to cummings and it was a bad fuel pump... but... they said the generator is pulling in the hot air and creating a heat loop which is causing the fuel to boil in the carb then re-condense and drip out of the air filter.***Good news though....they have a “upgrade” or fix and for only $300 they installed a diversion kit the should help...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast