Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furnace failing to ignite at higher elevation

The Attwood furnace on our 2016 Reflection 303RLS would not ignite while camping in Colorado at around 7,500 ft. At home (650 ft) and at the Dealer in Texas it will ignite. Has anyone experience any altitude problems with their furnace's? I saw a thread in the Forum where one person described similar symptoms (trying to ignite for 1-2 seconds and failing). That RV'r had his Thermostat replaced and it seemed to resolve his issue. Of course, hot water heaters can be adjusted by owners to function better at altitude - by opening the air venturi to allow greater air in take. I'm told that furnaces are pre-set and owners are not supposed to make any adjustments.

Additionally, I saw a thread about the A/C fan and Furnace running at the same time on a different Grand Design model. On the thread the solution was to change a setting on the Thermostat from manual to auto. I found this discussion interesting, because I have already called Grand Design and spoke with a technician about this situation and was told that the 'newer' RV's are designed for this to occur to improve air flow and circulation and that it is normal now for the A/C fan to run while the furnace is running. Honestly, I am not aware of how to change the setting on my thermostat (Refl. 303RLS) to auto as described on the other thread.
    Joe & Kim Procter
    2016 Refection 303RLS
    2011 Ford 250, 6.7L Diesel 4X4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my thermostat changed and while it seemed like it helped initially it went back to doing the same thing.....cycling as it trys to start. I live at 7000ft and it did the same thing last week at 4000 ft. Dropped it off today for them to try and fix it again...shop is at 1100ft in Newcastle Calif.....problem is the days are in the 100's this week and nights in the 80's. Might be a futile attempt right now.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you the best of luck with the furnace/altitude issue. We have had the exact same issue with our Atwood furnace not working in high altitudes in our 2015 337 Reflection. Attempts have been made by a repair person in Colorado and then back in Kansas, all unsuccessful. Atwood has been useless to respond to our requests, though I believe several other owners have gotten replacement furnaces. Our dealer in Kansas can't reproduce the issue, of course. They did check the propane regulator per Atwood's instructions and found no problem. We are going on our third trip to the mountains with this RV soon and I'm sure the furnace will again not work. At that point it will be 2 years old and at the end of warranty. Atwood said they will honor the warranty beyond 2 years since we've documented issues with them. This has been beyond frustrating. We are grateful for the fireplace which has done a good job keeping us warm enough, along with a small space heater in the bedroom. But the furnace should work. Period.
    Happy Kansans .... DeWayne & Benita
    and one crazy little ShihPoo puppy named Olive Ann
    2015 Reflection 337
    2017 Ford F350 Super Duty SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a very thorough review of this issue at; http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...gher+elevation
    I don't recall the details, but you aren't alone with this problem.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Kansan, TNF Solitude - thanks for your replies. Reading the prior threads of folks having this issue is disturbing. Appears that Attwood and GD really don't want to accept that there is a problem with some of these units, nor have they developed a systematic method/procedure to check all the factors that could cause this issue. What I saw in the threads was a lot of the "run around" - escalations to various higher managers did not even yield results.

I am intrigued by the fact that some people have seen the same symptoms at sea level caused by gas flow issues. I don't think that is my issue because other appliances worked ok at altitude...but I wonder if it could be a contributing factor. One person discussed oil in the lines that restricted flow. I am going to ask my dealer if their technicians have a way to check and validate that the gas flow from the tanks is to specification.
    Joe & Kim Procter
    2016 Refection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that there is plenty of evidence of failure at higher altitudes. I wonder if working with a mobile tech at your destination would be helpful? Good luck going forward.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the mountains now. We called Atwood and they suggested we take our camper to a service center. Not happening. We are on a big family vacation and this is our fourth trip to the mountains with no furnace. After a conversation with my husband being supremely, ridiculously polite, the Atwood rep finally mentioned a high altitude kit. They are going to hopefully overnight it here and my husband will install it. Stay tuned.

Interesting side note: we are camping with two family members with Atwood furnaces. They both work splendidly. One camper is a new Jayco, the other a new Keystone Premier .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Kansan View Post
    We called Atwood and they suggested we take our camper to a service center. Not happening. We are on a big family vacation and this is our fourth trip to the mountains with no furnace. After a conversation with my husband being supremely, ridiculously polite, the Atwood rep finally mentioned a high altitude kit. They are going to hopefully overnight it here and my husband will install it. Stay tuned.

Interesting side note: we are camping with two family members with Atwood furnaces. They both work splendidly. One camper is a new Jayco, the other a new Keystone Premie .
    Well I for one will be anxiously waiting to hear both what this kit entails and if it resolves your issue.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that is interesting and a potentially positive development...that Attwood might actually have a kit to address high altitude issues. Please let us know how what you can about it...how complicated it is to install and especially if it resolves the issue.
    Joe & Kim Procter
    2016 Refection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello I purchased a 303 Refection in April 2016 great 5th wheel by the way. But took it up 8,000 feet in CA. Sierras for two weeks and heater wouldn't lite water heater was manual only wouldn't cycle. Out of eight trailers that went with us the biggest and the best didn't work. Talked to three different G.D. tec's but couldn't help. Froze at nite wife not happy got home to 1,100 feet everything works fine . reading other post sounds like there's no fix. Not happy and not a good selling point.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast