User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the best response to how much truck do I need.

This should have a sticky in the proper location.

Thank you sir. Your response is what many of us are trying to say and we're just beating around the bush. You hit the nail on the head. Spc19498 is responding to a post about is this enough truck for this trailer.

Spc19498
    Site Sponsor

Don't listen to either dealer when making your purchase regarding tow ability. They will tell you anything to make a sale. A newer Ram 2500 Diesel will tow it no problem. However, as said before check the payload weight on the drivers side door jamb. The problem isn't the insurance company covering damages, regardless of fault. I have GEICO ins. and I called them and asked them if they'd cover damages if I was towing my trailer with a truck that wasn't rated to tow that much weight. Their answer was yes, up to my policy limits, if you have an umbrella policy the umbrella policy will also kick in up to whatever amount you have. However, after that you're on your own. In a civil lawsuit with a major injury or fatality you're talking about millions of dollars, losing your house etc. GEICO also advised me to call my local police department to ask about criminal charges. So I did. They said, if I was knowingly operating a vehicle beyond manufacture specifications and I knew that it could result in injury, death, property damage, etc. that it could be considered negligent operation, and I could face Criminal prosecution, if someone died, the charges could be negligent homicide... I'm sorry but I'm not risking prison to tow my truck in "style." I'm not a fan of DRW but I am also not a fan of prison, or just going through all the BS to fight it in court. You could try to play stupid and say you didn't know, but then they (lawyers) find this post where you're asking the question...

So I went out literally the next day and bought a Chevy 3500 DRW just to use to tow my 388M. I previously towed it with a 2016 Ram 2500 mega cab SRW diesel, 4wd, air bags, tuner, air intake, exhaust brake, I bought the truck to tow the trailer. Selling dealer advised it would tow the trailer fine, even allowed me to drive the truck to the RV dealer and have them look at it and make sure it would fit and tow the trailer. (Fit because the Ram is lifted.) RV dealer said, no problem... so I bought the Ram, and the 388M... I love them both, and technically the Ram tows it fine, actually great, just not legally. Now the Ram is my driver, and the Chevy is my TV.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree - best response I have seen on forums. Get the right tool for the job with capacity to spare and leave your worries behind [emoji106]
    Taj & Carmen (Counting the days...)
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2016 F350 DRW Lariat FX4
    Discovery Bay Ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red, good response! I also think it's better to have more truck and not need so much, than to have less truck and suffer consequences.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only additional comment I would make is yes insurance will pay the claims up to your policy amounts but if you end up in court the judge can award restitution and damages. What happens in that case is Insurance company gets paid back first then the lawyer and what is left over goes to the effected person.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You hit the nail on the head. In fact being in the tire industry for a number of years I trained our kids that in the event of an accident to check and if possible take pictures of the other drivers tires. I would also do the same if I felt that a truck/trailer that hit me was not sufficiently spec'd. I'm am not a huge fan of lawsuits but I have no problem holding people accountable for their action/decisions ( which is a huge problem in today's world)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RickTulsa, I sent you a private message
    Lyle & Cathy plus Boomer (English Lab)

2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2016 RAM 3500 DRW Laramie Limited 4X4
    6.7 Cummins with Aisin Transmission

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome post! So many people fool themselves into believing that they are ok with a SRW truck pulling these heavy 5ers, overloading tires, truck and the trailer itself.
    Mark and Janell aka Blue Moon Explorers
    2015 RAM 3500 4WD CTD CC Dually Aisin 4.10
    2015 Momentum 380TH
    Salida, CO