Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Two days old and coming apart?

So I picked up my 30BH Saturday and thats about were the excitement ended. After getting it parked, leveled and plugged in I ran the slides out. A short time later I discovered that the rear slide wasn't complete out. So I attempted to bring the slide back in however it came in about half way and stopped. I wasn't able to get it to fully close or open and it only traveled about a foot either way before it stopped. To make matters worse the skies opened up and because the slide wasn't at its extremes water came in in a hurry. I tried it once more and for whatever reason it finally fully extended which is where I left it until the weather improved. The following day I gave it a go again with similar results. Again I was able to get it back out which is where I left it until a could call Grand Design. After speaking with them today, they advised me that the system needed to be re-synced and they provided me with instructions on doing so. I gave it a go as soon as I got home from work and it did not work the slightest bit. So after giving the entire slide a once over looking for any possible reason, I noticed screw heads looking a little odd on the rails on the side of the slide. I rubbed my finger across the head of the screw and it fell right off with absolutely no effort. I checked each screw on that particular rail and every screw on that rail was broken, although not able to be pulled out of its spot with a brush of the finger. There are several screws that have a similar appearance on the other rails also, as well as on the portion mounted to the back of the trailer. While taking photos to send to Grand design I also discover a huge opening in the seal on the roof above the same slide that has been swallowing rain water up as fast as it could go in. So now I have serious concerns about delamination back there. Not to mention the corrosion that is apparent on the screws that are broken. Either they corroded because water protruded in the loose and broken screw heads or there was moisture already in there that corroded them and weakened them to the point they broke. Either way, its apparent moisture was involved which again has me concerned about delamination on the side of the slide. I'm not sure how they will rectify this issue but I don't know how I feel about them drilling out the bad screws and adding larger screws to get the threads to bite on a trailer thats 2 days old. Between the screws and the evidence of moisture I almost want the slide replaced. Curious how others would feel?

Sorry for the rant.
    Greg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160731_194154.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	5192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160731_194238.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	5193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160801_181206.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	5194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160801_181823.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	5195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160801_182112.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	5196
    2015 Ram 2500 Diesel, 2016 Reflection 30BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear your issues. I know you've been excited and waiting for a while for your unit to come in. Hope Grand Design will get you fixed properly, I'm sure they will. Here's to better days ahead.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us posted. It looks like it could have been leaking for some time and I think you are right to be concerned about delamination. I would.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg, I'm curious as to the involvement of the dealer you bought it from. Have they come forward with offers to make it right?
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That would be real frustrating
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
    Greg, I'm curious as to the involvement of the dealer you bought it from. Have they come forward with offers to make it right?
    At this point they haven't been involved. They did get a copy of the email that was sent to GD last night. They are over 2.5 hours away so it's not just a drop it of, pick it up sort of thing. I'm also hesitant to let a dealer go at without getting some input from Grand Design on how to properly repair it. The list continues to grow. My door rubs the awning when it's out, the DVD player won't accept discs, the flooring is bubbling up throughout the unit, especially bad in the bunk area. I really hope Grand Design will stand behind their product and make this right.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    2015 Ram 2500 Diesel, 2016 Reflection 30BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'd be P'od for sure. Someone's obviously going to have to fix it. I would call GD and see if you can take it back to the factory. Not sure a dealer will get it right the 1st time. You may make several trips to the dealer. Unless you have a dealer closer that GD will authorize warranty work. I'd want GD to pay for the shipping to have a driver bring it back.
    Best case scenario is the dealer takes it back and you get another one.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope GD steps up here, I wouldn't be satisfied with them 'fixing' it, its only 2 days old GD should be replacing IMO. PA may have a 10 notice of cancellation for your purchase contract, check with the attorney general if you don't get a response quickly.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks my friend. I took a hard look at ours this morning and didn't see any issues with the screw heads or tracks. My thought would be they over torqued the screws on assembly and the small slit in the membrane may have allowed enough water to seep in to deteriorate the screws enough to pop. I'm surprised the missing heads were spotted during their (GD) internal PDI before it got to the dealer. Keep pressing GD and they'll surely step up and cover the repairs.

On My 30BH I did notice on the underside corner the flashing was pushed away 1/4" and the screw was not fully seated (see pic). I did have a circuit fault once when trying to open the rear slide, but it quickly reset itself and has been fine ever since.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160803_092928.jpg  
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    '17 Ram 3500 CTD Sport CC 4x4
    B&W RVK3600

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know what happens and what you find in the end, I found the same issue on my 2 week old 2016 Momentum 348 recently when I got it home and began to re-caulk all seams and joints to be safe. I had 4 screw heads broken and rusted like yours on the wardrobe slide that fell off in my hand. Also had 2 on the top corner metal trim piece on the front of the rubber roof where it bends over the side of the trailer, those I could attribute to the pressure of the metal trim and maybe torqued to much. I would be curious what they find if they open your up, is there water damage inside that caused the screws to deteriorate or are new screws and sealing sufficient? I need to check the rest of mine as I was about done when I noticed mine and dont have time to go over it again until we get back from Sturgis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast