User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardwiring a PI EMS-HW50C in a new 397th - void warranty?

Taking delivery of a 2017 Momentum 397TH next week. One of the first "mods" I'd like to accomplish...install a PI EMS-HW50C.

The million dollar question....will this mod void the warranty?

Thanks for any insight here!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any modification or accessory cannot void a warranty unless it directly causes a failure. Even then the voiding would be restricted to the particular thing damaged.

Research the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just something to think about. I had Progressive fail on the second day of a 10 day trip and won't come back on line. I call Progressive and they said it did job sacrificed itself to save the RV and send in and we will repair at no cost. I was lucky it was a plug in type so all I had to do is make trip to Camping World and purchased a cheaper Surge Guard to use while my Progressive was off for repair.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Customer View Post
    Any modification or accessory cannot void a warranty unless it directly causes a failure. Even then the voiding would be restricted to the particular thing damaged.

Research the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.
    I believe the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act only applies to motor vehicles. A fifth wheel or travel trailer is not a motor vehicle.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I was lucky it was a plug in type so all I had to do is make trip to Camping World and purchased a cheaper Surge Guard to use while my Progressive was off for repair.
    So that begs the question, does a hard-wired EMS do it's check BEFORE allowing current to flow to the coach?

I can see where a portable EMS would be handy in that it does its diagnostics...when you get the green light, you would plug in the coach's electrical cable.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both wait for a "green light" before sending power through.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureRider View Post
    So that begs the question, does a hard-wired EMS do it's check BEFORE allowing current to flow to the coach?

I can see where a portable EMS would be handy in that it does its diagnostics...when you get the green light, you would plug in the coach's electrical cable.
    I'm not sure if right or wrong but I plug the coach into the Progressive, plug the Progressive into the pole, then throw the breaker. It takes between 30 to a minute (never time just a guess) before it will allow power to go to the coach. When it detected a hot ground it wouldn't let power thought to the coach until the condition was corrected.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    ]I believe the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act only applies to motor vehicles. A fifth wheel or travel trailer is not a motor vehicle.
    Not so. I won't quote the whole act but I will share this:

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. The Act was sponsored by Senator Warren G. Magnuson of Washington and U.S. Representative John E. Moss of California, both Democrats, as well as Senator Frank Moss of Utah, who co-sponsored it with Magnuson.

A "consumer product" is generally any tangible personal property for sale and that is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. It is important to note that the determination whether a good is a consumer product requires a factual finding, on a case-by-case basis. Najran Co. for General Contracting and Trading v. Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc., 659 F. Supp. 1081 (S.D. Ga. 1986).
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Both wait for a "green light" before sending power through.
    Talked with a tech guy at PI, and indeed, no power is applied to the coach for a little over two minutes, with either EMS model (portable or hardwired).

Now to figure out a spot to install the EMS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureRider View Post
    Yes. The PI EMS-HW50C saved by bacon when I stupidly tried to use a welding adaptor to extend the shore cable the last few feet. I'll save you the details of how I made that mistake, but it put 240vac across each leg to common (L1 & L2 were joined). That mistake would have cooked every 120v appliance in the RV including all 3 A/Cs if it hadn't been there. Oh, and the EMS didn't have to fall on it's silicon sword either. Once I realized what I'd done (by reading the fault codes it was flashing), I fabbed a correctly wired adaptor and all was well.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra