Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awning issues

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning issues

First I want to say that we love out 376TH, but we are having an issue with our awnings. This may be repetitive to some of you, but what I'm trying to do is bring this problem to the attention of GD. After looking at a couple of different threads I have found that I am not the only experiencing this issue. What I'm trying to do is generate I thread that everyone can contribute to so that GD can see there is a problem.

At the time of this post we have had our coach for one week. On day 4 with the awnings out, a slight breeze blowing and our rear awning failed. The arms collapsed. After a conversation with GD they have sent replacement arms but we are responsible for having them replaced, not to mention we had to extend our stay at the camp ground (at my cost) because the coach could not be moved until the repairs have been completed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree I believe Carefree needs to go back to the drawing board on these awnings and issue a recall. Grand Design needs to put a little pressure on Carefree. When my arms buckled I wouldn't even consider it a breeze. I had to get all four arms replaced. I am going to be very scared to use these awnings. I do want to say on a brighter note Grand Designs customer service has been excellent in dealing with my issues.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone else is having the same issues would you please post here, the model of your coach and when the awning failed and what GD has done. I'm only trying to bring to the attention the issues with the awnings so that GD knows they have a problem and that we as their customers know about it also.

Thanks in advance.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a very similar occurrence on our first out trip and I got the dealer to replace it. $$$$$$ My dealer submitted the pictures to GD and Carefree (awning maker) but they would not warranty it. Carefree advised that their warranty did not cover damages caused by wind. I had the dealer replace the arm instead of being without a awning for weeks waiting for the warranty process. The final cost to replace the arm was $693.18. My wife and I are now afraid to extend it for fear of a repeat episode. I am disappointed with Carefree for apparently knowing their arms are weak by design and not compensating the customer for the problem.
    Benny and Valinda w/ Dakota (canine)
    2016 Momentium 350M
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 3500 DRW 8' bed 6.6 Duramax w Allison
    B&W Companion RVK3500 20K FW
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got off the phone with Ray Duffy (GD rep) and he said that they feel that they do not have a awning issue!! I respectfully disagreed with him and he stated that 5-6 people having the same issue with their awnings was not a quality control issue. I asked for some suggestions on how to better secure the awnings when they are out. We will see if they can suggest something.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you. There may be more instances of these failures of owners that don't post or view the forum but only GD would know from the warranty claims filed. I feel that is not backing the customers on this issue even though they probably support their customers better than any other manufacturer.
    Benny and Valinda w/ Dakota (canine)
    2016 Momentium 350M
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 3500 DRW 8' bed 6.6 Duramax w Allison
    B&W Companion RVK3500 20K FW
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had my rear awning arm collapse from a small breeze on our first trip.

I had a mobile repair guy come out and help me secure the awning to the trailer, then
    I drove it to a local non-GD dealer (because the GD dealer in town was too busy) and they took the arm off. I finished my vacation with
    my awning inside my trailer.

Had to wait over a month (taking it in this Friday) to get scheduled with my dealer for repairs.
    I am still waiting for my awning arm to show up, Jerry had Carefree ship it to my house.
    Seth and Becca
    2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 DRW "Brown Beast"
    2017 Momentum 376TH "Tajmahauler"
    2007 Road King "The Girlfriend"

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdelejw5x.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anything different with the new arm or are they just sending you the same problematic arm?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james3406 View Post
    First I want to say that we love out 376TH, but we are having an issue with our awnings. This may be repetitive to some of you, but what I'm trying to do is bring this problem to the attention of GD. After looking at a couple of different threads I have found that I am not the only experiencing this issue. What I'm trying to do is generate I thread that everyone can contribute to so that GD can see there is a problem.

At the time of this post we have had our coach for one week. On day 4 with the awnings out, a slight breeze blowing and our rear awning failed. The arms collapsed. After a conversation with GD they have sent replacement arms but we are responsible for having them replaced, not to mention we had to extend our stay at the camp ground (at my cost) because the coach could not be moved until the repairs have been completed.
    I don't see how this will bring this to GD's attention as they do not officially monitor any of these posts. You need to post your comment in the Manufacturers Corner section or send them an email or, obviously, call them!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you guys saying the aluminum arms on the awning are buckling (bending) while the awning is open with no breeze? Or is it happening while you're opening or closing the awning?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast