User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Blowing fuse for lighting in front slide-out & basement lighting (337RLS)

I was installing our front A/C unit in the bedroom of our 337 RLS and I checked the water/battery level panel to see if the battery was up to snuf. The leds only glowed for a second and went out. I then went to the basement for more tools and noticed the basement lights no longer worked. I changed the fuse, which was a 7.5 amp and the bottom fuse. It seemed to be ok, and we dry camped for a week (with only electric for the camper). The fuse blew several times during that camp out. We don't know if it merely blew with our backs turned, or if it blew when we turned on something.

The wife said the lights in the bedroom slide out were out as well. So I took the brushed eyeball light fixtures out and checked them out for any bad wiring. The only thing I could see was that the screws (too long) looked as though they were in the path to screw into the wires. I replaced the fuse (again) and the lights worked, so I put the fixtures back up. As soon as I turned the one light on over the bed, the fuse popped again. I blamed the screws. I went out and bought two new light fixtures that had a different screw pattern so as to avoid hitting the wires with the screws. Everything seemed ok for three days - - and it blew again.

There is a pair of wires going from light to light over the bed, and on one side there is also the wire coming from the source. It appears to head toward the other fixture, but does not. Can someone please tell me how the 12volt lighting wires in the slide out are routed so I can find the short? Yes at this point I'm assuming it is that leg of the circuit, and it may not be.

Since the battery/water level panel, bedroom slide out lights, and basement lights are all on the same circuit, can anyone tell me where they spliced them all together?

Has anyone else had this issue?

By the way, we did not have any problems until we installed the front a/c unit. and the a/c unit is on a different 12 volt circuit. Of course the new install is suspect, but why? The A/C unit and single zone thermostat works fine...
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Upgraded 2014 337RLS to a 2019 311BHS, Then Upgraded 2019 311BHS to 2020 367BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
    ...By the way, we did not have any problems until we installed the front a/c unit. and the a/c unit is on a different 12 volt circuit. Of course the new install is suspect, but why? The A/C unit and single zone thermostat works fine...
    Well, the A/C is 120VAC, not 12VDC. You're safer to search for this problem with a multimeter than with a box of fuses.

Ben
    Sharon, Ben & Maggi-Ann (the Cockapoo)
    2014 Reflection 293RES with Airborne Sidewinder
    2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab with Reese R16

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    Well, the A/C is 120VAC, not 12VDC. You're safer to search for this problem with a multimeter than with a box of fuses.

Ben
    ...but the control board for the A/C is 12V DC. I think the wiring for the headboard slide including the slide motors is in the front of the bed base, I think you'll have to remove the hinged plywood cover of the bed base to access.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the fix: There is a nicely framed panel in the bedroom attached to the wall adjacent the bathroom wall. This trimmed paneling was stapled to the side wall and apparently went through some of the wires thus causing an intermittent short.

I pulled all the staples, glued the piece of paneling to the frame, and screwed the frame back up using really short screws.

No more problems...
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Upgraded 2014 337RLS to a 2019 311BHS, Then Upgraded 2019 311BHS to 2020 367BHS