User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Okay, I need some Electrical Help ASAP

Hi All,

So we are 1 week into our 5 week trip and something has happened to the power in the trailer. We can no longer run the A/Cs or much of anything else that is AC but it kind of happened slowly. At first we still had some AC power but it was weak. A very dim night light in an outlet. The lights on the microwave, etc..

It was very hot today and both A/Cs were on all day as was the television. I was at the CG pool with my grandsons when Deb called and said the TV went out and there was smoke behind the TV. I ran down and there was just an electrical smell but no smoke. I checked all my fuses and, of course, the SurgeGuard but couldn't find anything wrong. I decided to check the inverter and pulled both 35 amp fuses and they are fine but the fan is not turning and it makes no sound. I think it usually makes some sound and the fan should turn.

Anyway, I would have expected it to go out suddenly and completely and what was with the electrical smoke/smell in the entertainment center? I couldn't find anything at first glance.

I'm going to post this and then try the entertainment center on the inverter to see what happens but hopefully someone will have some advise for me. Unfortunately it's too late to call tech support but I will tomorrow I suspect.

Thanks
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First measure the voltage, then check the amp draw. Get to and smell the converter, if it smells burnt replace it. What about the power at the power pole? Anybody else having issues. Can you measure the voltage at the power pole...it might read 120V with no load though. Is you power cord hotter than the neighbors?

Hope that helps some,

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

This sounds more like a "brown out" on the shore power . . . although, if this is the case, I am surprised that your SurgeGuard did not shut everything down due to low voltage. Since you have a generator, try disconnecting shore power and running off generator as if dry camping. If this brings everything back, you know that it is a shore power problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Okay, I don't have time to check your comments yet. It's getting dark on me. Everything that still works, works on the generator. It appears the TV shorted out and that's where the smoke came from because it will not turn on anymore. I've tried it's powere cord in other outlets with the same result and I've plugged other electrical items into the outlet it was plugged in to and they work so Dead TV.

The surge protector I had my blu-ray player and satellite box plugged in to also is shot. Both the units still work if plugged directly into outlets, so they are still good. Finally, it appears the fireplace has burned out although it wasn't on so maybe it's the power to the fireplace so I will have to pull the fireplace and check the outlet.

I also double checked the converter while the generator is running I can see and feel the fan running and the batteries are charging based on my meter so I think I was wrong about the converter.

Also, my SurgeGuard says both legs have 121V and 122V but next to each of those it says 00A. What does that mean?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This definitely sounds like a shore power problem. Either high voltage or low voltage that your SurgeGuard did not block. If you are running on shore power and the SurgeGuard shows no current (0 amps), then it has certainly failed.

It would be worth asking around to others in the campground as to whether they had similar problems. I presume you would have mentioned if there had been lightning in the area.

Back to the brown out (low shore power voltage) theory . . . this seems the most likely . . . but, why did the SurgeGuard not protect you from this ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Okay, I did take my SurgeGuard to an empty site nearby and got the same readings. We are in a fairly run down KOA. I went to the office but it was after 5 so no one there. I called their supposed after hours number but, based on everything else around here, I doubt I will get a call back.

Could the power problem burned out my SurgeGuard?

Oh, I plugged my 30 Amp SurgeGuard in to the 30 Amp outlet and it tested okay but nothing came on in the trailer that way either.

I guess I'll have to wait until morning and see what they say. Of course the power could be back to "normal" by then.

Then I'm stuck with why the SurgeGuard, the power strip and the fireplace all burned out.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering about a dropped ground in the park or one of the other legs. Yep sounds like a park power issue. Better double check for melted wires in the rig...i.e. in the walls behind the tv etc. Years ago we had a similar issue...drawing not an unusual amount of power and wires started smelling and melting together...Good luck sorry to hear this...
    Bradley & Glenna
    2016 29rs Reflection
    2016 Ford F250 - B&W Patriot 18k Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Hi All,

So we are 1 week into our 5 week trip and something has happened to the power in the trailer. We can no longer run the A/Cs or much of anything else that is AC but it kind of happened slowly. At first we still had some AC power but it was weak. A very dim night light in an outlet. The lights on the microwave, etc..

It was very hot today and both A/Cs were on all day as was the television. I was at the CG pool with my grandsons when Deb called and said the TV went out and there was smoke behind the TV. I ran down and there was just an electrical smell but no smoke. I checked all my fuses and, of course, the SurgeGuard but couldn't find anything wrong. I decided to check the inverter and pulled both 35 amp fuses and they are fine but the fan is not turning and it makes no sound. I think it usually makes some sound and the fan should turn.

Anyway, I would have expected it to go out suddenly and completely and what was with the electrical smoke/smell in the entertainment center? I couldn't find anything at first glance.

I'm going to post this and then try the entertainment center on the inverter to see what happens but hopefully someone will have some advise for me. Unfortunately it's too late to call tech support but I will tomorrow I suspect.

Thanks
    Paul, that's not a good thing. I hope you get it resolved. We were in a KOA a few weeks ago that had power issues. My EMS was showing 104 volts. Owner said it was my problem because his meter showed 110 volts at outlet. I tried to explain no load to him, but he had bananas stuffed in his ears or something
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, based on your description I would think you may have got a power surge that the SurgeGuard didn't handle. It would show 0 amps without a load. If it shows 0 amps with a load it is likely defective.
    Several years ago a neighbor of ours fried everything they had hooked to a defective generator. It started producing over 300 volts and fried everything that was turned on.
    It is most likely that in your case it may have only spiked for a second or two.
    I agree with Rob the surge protector should have handled it.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I plugged my 30 Amp SurgeGuard in to the 30 Amp outlet and it tested okay but nothing came on in the trailer that way either.
    Hi Paul,

If you don't get power through a different source (30A SurgeGuard and different outlet) this is pointing to a bad power cord or a disconnect somewhere within your trailer. Maybe the shore/generator transfer switch ?

If the problem occurred downstream of your 50A SurgeGuard, it would not detect this and may still be functioning OK.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast