User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any one running the Reese Goosebox and a short bed truck or Anderson Ultimate?

I have a '17 Super Duty on order and will have a B&W turnover ball installed to pull my farm trailers.

I am looking at options to pull my Reflection 29RS. I currently have the B&W Patriot slider. So one option is to use the Curt X5 5th wheel base rail adapter. http://www.curtmfg.com/part/16310. I can get it for $350 plus shipping. Two issues here. One the Patriot and adapter are heavy and a pain to take in and out of the truck. Second I am wondering if the rails of the adapter can flex enough to bend the aluminum bed on my new truck? I remember that some that used a B&W Companion had dents in their beds and they had steel beds.

So I am considering the Reese Goosebox. Anyone pulling a Reflection with it? have any issues with a short bed truck? This would cost me $1000 plus shipping but give me air ride and be easy to hitch and unhitch but I don't want to hit the cab while backing.

Next option is the Anderson Ultimate. It would fit my B&W gooseneck hitch. I have several issues. One being with a Reflection how sharp can I turn while backing? Two would be the same as above. Will it bend my aluminum bed?

Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could also use the B&W 4" extender to move the ball back 4". This would give me more clearance for the Goosebox

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! A topic I actually have some knowledge of and can dispense!!

I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0L Cummins turbo diesel. The truck came with a goose neck tow system hitch from the factory. I wanted to use it because: a) I already paid for it and b) I didn't relish the idea of having to add the weight and complexity of a 5th wheel hitch plate system.

Since my truck was so new, it was a quagmire trying to get info on whether or not the Goosebox would work. Literally it came down to having me be a guinea pig - so we tried it.

I'm not familiar with your truck bed dimensions, but the system works for my application. One potential issue was the Goosebox contacting the plastic side boxes in the bed that comes with the truck. That turned out to be a non-issue. However, I cannot go a true 90 degree angle between Truck and RV due to the RV front cap being as close as it is to the truck cab. I've estimated I can obtain a swing angle of around 50 degrees before contact before the front cap contacts the truck's cab. This problem was solved when God invented the pull through camping site!! LOL......

All-in-all, the Goosebox works for me. I like that it has built in shocks and an air bag. I think with a bit of design tweaking by Reese, it would offer more flexibility for the Nissan product. I've done some measurements and if the Goosebox had three more inches of adjustability in overall height (vertical dimension from hitch ball centerline to pin box attach plate) and would place the RV back four to five more inches, the set-up would be perfect in order to get a 90 degree swing. However, the tailgate *might* become an issue.

I will also leave you with this.....the engineers (of which I be one) I spoke to at Lippert and Reese were very familiar with other goose ball systems (adapters, etc.) and were very adamant about their use being a "warranty" issue. YMMV.

I'm positive photos would be a tremendous help, so I'll try and dig some up.

Tom

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search the forum on "Andersen," (spelled with an "e" in the last syllable), you'll find many posts. Any number of us are using the Andersen Ultimate hitches (both rail-mount and turnover ball mount) to pull rigs bigger and heavier than the 29RS. (Paul/Poppy's Fifth Wheel is another very active member of the forum who uses the Andersen.) In my case, with a crew cab with 6.5' bed, I can turn at about 80 degrees without getting uncomfortable with the front cap of the trailer getting too close to the rear of the cab. The new front caps are designed much better than the old straight-across front overhangs on earlier fifth wheels. The combo works great - and is much lighter than conventional hitch options.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan XD View Post

I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0L Cummins turbo diesel. The truck came with a goose neck tow system hitch from the factory. I wanted to use it because: a) I already paid for it and b) I didn't relish the idea of having to add the weight and complexity of a 5th wheel hitch plate system.

Since my truck was so new, it was a quagmire trying to get info on whether or not the Goosebox would work. Literally it came down to having me be a guinea pig - so we tried it.

I'm not familiar with your truck bed dimensions, but the system works for my application. One potential issue was the Goosebox contacting the plastic side boxes in the bed that comes with the truck. That turned out to be a non-issue. However, I cannot go a true 90 degree angle between Truck and RV due to the RV front cap being as close as it is to the truck cab. I've estimated I can obtain a swing angle of around 50 degrees before contact before the front cap contacts the truck's cab. This problem was solved when God invented the pull through camping site!! LOL......

All-in-all, the Goosebox works for me. I like that it has built in shocks and an air bag. I think with a bit of design tweaking by Reese, it would offer more flexibility for the Nissan product. I've done some measurements and if the Goosebox had three more inches of adjustability in overall height (vertical dimension from hitch ball centerline to pin box attach plate) and would place the RV back four to five more inches, the set-up would be perfect in order to get a 90 degree swing. However, the tailgate *might* become an issue.

I will also leave you with this.....the engineers (of which I be one) I spoke to at Lippert and Reese were very familiar with other goose ball systems (adapters, etc.) and were very adamant about their use being a "warranty" issue. YMMV.

Tom
    Pixs would be nice. 50 degrees doesn't sound like much at all. I would suspect that with the Goosebox or a standard fiver you should be able to make 75 degrees. I am wondering in the 4" extension would be enough. I am not concerned about the warranty for if I see cracks I will weld it up and reinforce it myself.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you search the forum on "Andersen," (spelled with an "e" in the last syllable), you'll find many posts. Any number of us are using the Andersen Ultimate hitches (both rail-mount and turnover ball mount) to pull rigs bigger and heavier than the 29RS. (Paul/Poppy's Fifth Wheel is another very active member of the forum who uses the Andersen.) In my case, with a crew cab with 6.5' bed, I can turn at about 80 degrees without getting uncomfortable with the front cap of the trailer getting too close to the rear of the cab. The new front caps are designed much better than the old straight-across front overhangs on earlier fifth wheels. The combo works great - and is much lighter than conventional hitch options.

Rob
    Thanks. I am not concerned about weight issues with the Anderson just turning radius while backing

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom

How long is your truck bed? Are you running the B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch?

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the tardy reply. The Reese ball came with the Titan and it has a plastic "T" in the center of it that locks/unlocks the balls that hold the ball mount in the receiver. When not in use, I remove the goose ball from the bed and stow it away. My bed is 6.5'. Here's some pics of when we picked up our 337.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	5311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	5312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck7.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	5313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck8.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	5314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck9.jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	5315

Tom

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much. My Ford will have a 6.75' bed so hopefully the extra 3" will give me some added clearance. If not I will add B&W's 4" extender ball and that should be plenty good

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the tardy reply. The Reese ball came with the Titan and it has a plastic "T" in the center of it that locks/unlocks the balls that hold the ball mount in the receiver. When not in use, I remove the goose ball from the bed and stow it away. My bed is 6.5'. Here's some pics of when we picked up our 337.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	5311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck2.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	5312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck7.jpg 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	5313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck8.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	5314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck9.jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	5315

Tom
    Can you lower the Goosebox down one more hole or are you as low as it will go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast