User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dan9308

Awning rail arms twisted in wind and broke

I purchased a new 2017 Solitude 379FL about 6 weeks ago. My Patio Awning was extended and a small wind gust came up and twisted my two rail arms. How can I purchase replacements? I would like to replace this myself instead of taking my Solitude back into the dealer.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several have had this problem and a few have had them replaced under warrantee. Contact GD customer service and see what they will do for you. Or contact awning manufacturer and see what they can/will do.

From GD
    For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Dan9308
    Thanks, I contacted G.D. through their website. I guess I will wait and see what they say. The weather said “20 mph wind gusts possible” pretty calm for Amarillo. I would have thought it would have held up to that.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI, I have heard some complaints about timely replies when e-mailing to the general address.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the thread in "Momentum" - Exterior, there is some info in there that can help you.
    You will see you are not the only one.
    Good Luck.
    Seth and Becca
    2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 DRW "Brown Beast"
    2017 Momentum 376TH "Tajmahauler"
    2007 Road King "The Girlfriend"

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdelejw5x.jpg

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan9308 View Post
    Thanks, I contacted G.D. through their website. I guess I will wait and see what they say. The weather said “20 mph wind gusts possible” pretty calm for Amarillo. I would have thought it would have held up to that.
    During PDI, some techs (not just Grand Design) will say, "This is not an awning, it's a sail." Having sailed since the '70s, I would have to agree. A 20 MPH gust on that much square footage can generate some force. A lot of full-timers (not all) have a rule: awning is only out when we're under it. Others use auger type anchors and straps if they want to leave them out unattended or long-term.

As for Amarillo... I recall riding my motorcycle south on Georgia while leaning 15 degrees to the right to maintain balance in the wind (OK... it was 1973 and memory may embellish the story a bit).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan9308 View Post
    I purchased a new 2017 Solitude 379FL about 6 weeks ago. My Patio Awning was extended and a small wind gust came up and twisted my two rail arms. How can I purchase replacements? I would like to replace this myself instead of taking my Solitude back into the dealer.
    Hi Dan,

Curious. I'm assuming the awning on the Solitude is the same as on the Reflection, do you recall if the star nut (wing nut?) that can be tightened down after pulling in or tilting down one or both arms, do you recall if the nuts were snugged down? May not make any difference, but I've always been curious whether the structure would be any more forgiving if able to move some, or better to keep it from gaining momentum, possibly flexing and increasing the risk for failure.

Hope the repairs go quickly!

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Dan9308
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
    Hi Dan,

Curious. I'm assuming the awning on the Solitude is the same as on the Reflection, do you recall if the star nut (wing nut?) that can be tightened down after pulling in or tilting down one or both arms, do you recall if the nuts were snugged down? May not make any difference, but I've always been curious whether the structure would be any more forgiving if able to move some, or better to keep it from gaining momentum, possibly flexing and increasing the risk for failure.

Hope the repairs go quickly!

Tom
    My Solitude doesn't have a wing nut like that. The Tracer Air travel trailer that I traded in for the Solitude did. It's funny That $20,000 trailer handled a lot stronger winds than the Solitude.

Dan9308
    Does anybody know who makes the awning for a Solitude 379FL? I don't have any paperwork in Solitude folder that I received when I purchased mine. I talked to another new Solitude owner here and they didn't either.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 379fl is a carefree unit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast