Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How level is level?

I have been told by B&W that it is more important to have good clearance between the truck rails and the underside of the trailer than being exactly level??
    I understand the load on either axle but what is acceptable?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't want to exceed 2" nose high and that is about what I have.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone just recently posted (in another thread) what happens when the trailer is more than just a bit off level. It shifted hundreds of pounds from the front trailer axle to the rear trailer axle. Depending on how you're loaded, this could put the rear trailer tires over their load rating.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Someone just recently posted (in another thread) what happens when the trailer is more than just a bit off level. It shifted hundreds of pounds from the front trailer axle to the rear trailer axle. Depending on how you're loaded, this could put the rear trailer tires over their load rating.
    Hi Rob,

I had always been under the impression, that the equalizer between axles "should" keep the weight distribution fairly consistent, but would imagine there comes a point of no return. Do you recall how high the nose of the trailer was and what the axle or individual wheel weights were? Would be interesting to see the data.

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
    Hi Rob,

I had always been under the impression, that the equalizer between axles "should" keep the weight distribution fairly consistent, but would imagine there comes a point of no return. Do you recall how high the nose of the trailer was and what the axle or individual wheel weights were? Would be interesting to see the data.

Tom
    Tom,

I think this is the post I'm remembering - post #13 on page 2. Rob (one of the other Robs on the forum) doesn't give specific numbers but states that his rear tires run warmer than the front tires. It sounds like he might have the weight numbers if you want to contact him.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...se+high+weight

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I think this is the post I'm remembering - post #13 on page 2. Rob (one of the other Robs on the forum) doesn't give specific numbers but states that his rear tires run warmer than the front tires. It sounds like he might have the weight numbers if you want to contact him.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...se+high+weight
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reference, yes, I now recall reading that. What I'd like to see, are individual rear wheel weights when trailer is level, then extending the landing gear to raise the nose of the trailer by 2 inches, see what the effect on the scale is.

I'm trying to find the time to get to a location with individual wheel scales, if time allows (or maybe the weigh master has already done this), would be nice to unhitch and perform the steps described above. It would be good data to have for these discussions.

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob directed the comment at me and I didn't respond on that thread since I had a up coming trip. I run about 1" to 1 1/2" high but I have a Mor-Ryde 4000 that has 5" of travel which is a different than the GD has. I made sure the tires were as close to 80 psi I could get them before leaving home and we drove 320 miles and front and rear tires was within a degree of each other and at times the forward were the hotter one. The difference was side to side and I believe that due sun on one side of the coach. I would love to get a wheel by wheel weighting to confirm the weights. People going to the rally that would great question to ask GD about.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch