User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ER's 350m Mod thread (Solar, Tires, everything else)

Our 2017 350m is coming home with us tomorrow. I don't know how to leave well enough alone, so I'd figure I'd document my mods along the way. Please, feel free to ask any questions as I hope to share my knowledge and hopefully help some of you out there along the way.

Here's my current list of items that I have planned to do for the 350m:

1. Tires
    Stock Westlakes will be gone and I will be putting on Sailun 637 G rated tires. I have ran these tires before, and I honestly trust them more than Goodyear 614's. Metal valve stems for sure (required for the the 110 psi) and I will be threading on my EezTire TPMS.

2. Bearings. Yes, it's a brand new rig but I have always redone bearings on all my trailers and motorcycles (I have raced offload for years). It's easy enough, and gives me peace of mind.

3. Solar, inverter system:
    I have ordered a Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter charger, a Victron MPPT 50 charge controller, Color GX control panel, BMV 700 battery monitoring system.
    I am undecided on how much solar right now, but I have 400 w of Renogy Mono panels on the way and will probably go at least 800w. I will see how much I need once I get the trailer here and see how much roof space I will be utilizing. You can never have too much solar. I am rarely ever on hookups, so I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE solar. I am also a big techie to say the least, the Color Control GX has a small wifi dongle that I can tie in and see my system stats. I will be able to set alarms while in storage and constantly have an eye on it. I don't want to give up pantry space for monitor mounting, so I may mod the stock switch panel to fit everything on that panel.

4. Batteries:

Really on the fence here on AGM or Flooded. I just can't justify lithium at this point. We will be using the trailer a ton, but I just can't swallow the leap to lithium as much as it would keep things lighter and somewhat more simple. Again, once I get the trailer home, I will do some measuring and see if I go 6v flooded, 6v AGM or 12v AGM. I am already planning on reinforcing the heck out of the battery compartment to support the weight. I figure you can never have too much battery, but there is a balance. It will be 400 AH minimum, regardless of which route. I really don't want to use up any of my basement storage for extra batteries.

I will also run an Anderson high amperage connector. I have one on my truck as well. I spec'd my truck with dual alternators, and at idle it will kick out 200 amps. Instead of running the generator to charge in the event of weather where solar is not keeping up, I can connect the truck and charge efficiently and quietly. I can also run this configuration while driving when charging through the pigtail is not sufficient.

5. Exterior/ Interior storage:

I like the Lippert under chassis storage systems, but I'm not sure they'll fit. I may build up a similar system to fit into different spots.

I am looking for a good spot to store fishing poles. I have yet to settle on a perfect setup that will accommodate both spin and fly rods.

6. Exterior gas connection: I use my camp chef every day and I'd rather plug it into the trailer than have to remove a tank.

7. Directv setup. I have a tripod SL3 HD setup. I have a few options for distribution: Pull the wireless genie from the house when we go, or I have been looking at using either a wireless Balun or a coax balun and move it to which ever TV we want to watch.

That's it for now. I'm looking forward to this! Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group and congratulations on your new Momentum! I hope you enjoy your new Grand Deign RV as me as we do ours.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and Welcome Eric!

What kind of bearings do you replace the OEM's with.

6 volt AGM's will give you a longer life...thicker plates. But require more batteries. I put mine in the pass through and use the front compartment for other and lighter things.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Welcome to our group! Have fun
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will love your GD and welcome to the group. i am using 6V AGM batteries with all new cabling and replaced the disconnect switch to turn off everything. i also have Smart charging system that works well with the batteries and will keep them charged properly wont be over-charged. While running the honda 2000 generator a few hours daily through the smart charger the batteries stay fully charged while running the direct tv and all the twinkle light my wife puts up all night.

Todd
    Todd & Wendy
    Blossom Valley Ca,
    2 King Charles Cavaliers
    Firesian & Quarter Horses
    2013 Ford F-350 Lifted
    2016 Reflection 303 w/reese goose box
    1932 Ford Cabriolet
    2013 BMW R1200GS
    2013 Dodge Yellow Jacket
    Still Working :cool:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still waiting for fed ex and ups deliveries before I really get going. I had the tires replaced yesterday, and I checked bearings while the wheels were off. The amount of grease looks fine.

I'm now going trying to determine the route of the 2 gauge wires for the solar from the roof to the basement. A few options, I'd like to see what route others have gone.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching this thread. Picking up our 350M on Wednesday and will be doing essentially all the mods you mention.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wizbang, welcome aboard...I'm still waiting for parts to arrive but I'm hoping to do the bulk of everything this upcoming weekend. Boy, what a difference between the Westlake and Sailun tires. I know people have had good luck with the Westlakes, but my goodness are the sidewalls soft compared to the Sailuns!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Will be watching for updates on the solar/inverter install. I am ordering a Magnum MSH3012 right now and already have 4 6vdc AGM batteries to go into the coach. Will add solar in a month or 2. I have been reading a lot about people's installs on this and have a few questions I hope I can figure out. I'm pretty good with electrical (work with CNC machines), but some of the comments and directions are a bit hazy to me. Good luck with your installs.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got all my parts and components in and some time to get going on!

I started running wires from the roof to the basement for the solar. I went with 2 gauge welding wire, as I'll be running 800 watts of panels.

I first cut a hole in the linen closet in the bathroom where all the wires run up for the basement. This is going to be tight. I took some measurements in relation to the vent. My AC ducting takes up a lot of space up there. I also pulled the light above the toilet to gain more access.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	5437

I then went up to the roof, picked my spot and drilled a hole.

Views:	147 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	5438

It took a fair amount of work to get the wire ran, but after an hour I had enough wire in the basement.

Views:	139 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	5439

Views:	141 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	5440

I made up a combiner box by using epoxy to secure down bus bars to a conduit box and then installed the cable glands.
    I'll get this up on the roof as well as install the panels tomorrow.

Views:	150 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	5441

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast