User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 Volt AGM batteries or 6 Volt AGM batteries ?

I am in the process of setting up my 303RLS for dry camping ( boondocking ) and can't decide if I want to go with two deep cycle 12 volt AGM batteries or the pair of 6 volt AGM golf cart batteries.

I will be using the Xantrex 1000 Prowatt inverter and battery monitor and charging with a Champion 2000 watt inverter generator . Solar will be added later.

The 12 volt batteries I am looking at are the Duracell group 31 AGM deep cycle marine and RV battery with 105 amp hour rating.

Or the 6 volt group GC2 AGM golf cart battery with 190 amp hour rating .

The 12 volt batteries will have a combined amp hour rating of 210 and the pair of golf cart batteries will have 190 amp hours.

I am leaning toward using toward the 12 volt AGM because if one battery fails I would still have 12 volts from the other battery to run the trailer. Also if I wanted to add more capacity I could just add one 12 volt battery to the battery bank and with the golf cart battery I would have to add two batteries.

I know most of you are going with the 6 volt golf cart batteries but I know guys who use the 12 volt deep cycle batteries with good results.

What to do ?
    Paul & Julie
    Cody our Australian Cattle dog
    Jack the Ripper ( our cat )
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 F-350 Super Duty

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I went with the 6 volt flooded batteries but you make a good case for the 12 volt AGM's. I guess size and weight comes in to play so can you give us that info too?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are at the point of one of my next tasks. In our prior trailer I found that the 6 volt golf cart batteries out performed the 12 volt deep cycle. The 12 volt batteries even though they were rated similarly did not last as long and the worse part is that the did not live up to the constant cycling of draw down / recharge.

To you point on failure I had to replace both 12 volt batteries while on a spring 6 night trip to Yosemite with limited battery availability. Shortly afterward I replaced the 12 volts with the 6 volt Golf Cart Batteries from Costco, I was getting 4 years out of the batteries with no failures.

With that said the 303 appears to have a much higher draw (i haven't dry camped yet) than the prior trailer, I suspect that the Costco Golf Cart batteries may not have enough amp hours. Its seems as always there is a better product out there for more money which I suspect will be the case.
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use double 12's and so for no problems. We do dry camp (just me and the better half) so usage is not a big deal. We run the gen set (Honda 3000is) some in the mornings and again before bed time. Everything works well at this point.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys, the 2016 303RLS has all LED lighting so I don't think I will need a huge bank of batteries to start. I will only be boondocking during cooler weather so I won't need AC.

The Duracell AGM 12 volt weighs 69 pounds and is 13" long x 6 3/4" wide x 9 3/8" tall.

The Duracell AGM 6 volt weighs 70 pounds and is 10 1/4" long x 7 1/8 wide x 10 7/8" tall.

The Duracells are made by East Penn who also make many of the better batteries out there.

All the numbers as far as amp hours and weight are very close and the price is the same either way I go. Sams has these for around $180 each.
    I want to go with the AGM batteries because of the low maintenance and the fact that they charge faster.

It may just come down to which ones fit my battery compartment the best. I need to measure the area where I want to install these and make a decision.
    I will be mounting these on the curb side of the front storage area to better distribute the weight in the trailer. The original battery is mounted on the street side and I will be removing that one. The street side of the 303 is heavy from the factory so I want to even that out .
    Paul & Julie
    Cody our Australian Cattle dog
    Jack the Ripper ( our cat )
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 F-350 Super Duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i went with two AGM 6-volt setup, you said if you went with the 12 V option and if one battery failed you would would still one 12 to operate the trailer. this is not true if your batteries are connected together as they would be and if one battery failed you would not know this until both batteries went dead. when connected together your strongest battery is only s good as your weakest if that make sense. i run triple batteries on my fleet of buses and if one battery fails if bring the other two down quickly.

rootbeer69

Todd
    Todd & Wendy
    Blossom Valley Ca,
    2 King Charles Cavaliers
    Firesian & Quarter Horses
    2013 Ford F-350 Lifted
    2016 Reflection 303 w/reese goose box
    1932 Ford Cabriolet
    2013 BMW R1200GS
    2013 Dodge Yellow Jacket
    Still Working :cool:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spend the extra money and buy Lifeline brand AGMs. They are better built (in the USA) and are worth it for those who actually use their batteries. I have two 8D size batteries (huge, 165 lbs each and likely too big for your GD, but they make all sizes) in my MH and the first set (which were the smaller 4Ds) lasted 10 years (yes, 10 years!). Now that is atypical, but they use thicker plates and are just better constructed. You will likely find the best price in the size you want on the internet, in my case the local distributor matched the price. Also make sure you have a charge controller designed for AGMs if you choose that route. I have had flooded 6V, AGM, and standard flooded 12v. The 6V I bought were Trojan 145s. They are taller than the stadard Group 27 size battery but have more capacity. Trojan makes three sizes that are close to the Group 27...T-105 (the direct replacement), T-125 (usually will still fit the standard battery cases but more capacity), and T-145 (which are about 2' too big for the standard battery boxes/cases). My flooded batteries that came new with my GD were allowed to over discharge n the lot while waiting for me to get it. They are being recharged, but they will never be the same as new. I will be replacing with Lifeline AGMs
    2016 Solitude 369RL
    2005 Airstream 396 XL LandYacht Motorhome (Yes they made some!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sailboatr
    Something to consider....D.O.T does not spend a lot of time with RV industry vehicles compared to on road trucks/tractors Tractors and trucks with in the cab batteries are required to be AGM and are 12 volt. Another good source for purchasing batteries would be a local tractor/trailer dealer at usually reasonable rates Just my opinion but even that front hatch area with its "vent and hose" are still like an enclosed area I have switched to AGM 12 volt only as in case of battery failure still having 12 volts