User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ThruHauler

RV Driver Training - worth it!

Just wanted to share my opinion after taking RV Driver Training with a former CDL instructor. It's worth it! I feel a lot more comfortable behind the wheel. I can even back my 369rl into my camp sight now! If referrals are OK, I used this guy in Colorado, http://www.mmrvtraining.com/Contact_Us/contact_us.html.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, my wife wants to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insurance companies need to make training required of all new policy holders. \

With new fifth wheel and travel trailer owners, accidents are most often a "When" occurrence rather than an "If" occurrence.

Not only do drivers of these monsters need to concentrate, they also need a second set of eyes. I made a mistake and forgot to "look up" and I had my first accident after 5 days on the road. Wouldn't you know my wife and I were having a very nice talk about that time. Like I said, concentration is important.

ThruHauler
    Haha, Bamaman: you blame your poor wife for that accident every chance you get to bring it up. Own it bro

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of something closer to Pennsylvania?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thummel83,
    You might check with the site the original poster provided. Many times these folks will have affiliate instructors in different parts of the country. My wife attended one, rvtrainingschool.com. They had affiliated instructors in different parts of the nation. We live in central TX and the instructor was in Sanger, TX (north of Dallas) We thought the instruction was good and my wife benefited from it. If you google the subject there are others, one being rvdrivinginstruction.com. Usually they will come to you but it is much more expensive than going to the instructor.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I can't speak about this school (I was trying to setup something last year and the instructor in my area got sick and wasn't holding schools) here's a resource I found with locations throughout the country:

http://www.rvschool.com/school-locations/

Hope it helps!
    Mike K
    2014 Momentum 355TH
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4, 6.7L Duramax Diesel
    B&W Companion Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks...none in PA😑

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad this subject was brought up. Since I started driving, I almost immediately started towing something. First it was a small jon boat when Dad & I went fishin'. Then larger trailers as his boats got bigger. My youngest sister got into equestrian jumping, so I was called into duty to tow the horse trailer. LOL..... We'd go to these shows where all these multiple (nice) horse trailers were being towed by big dully trucks and even a Freightliner or two. And we'd roll in with our single horse trailer being pulled by my very stout and hot rodded '69 Camaro RS. Man - the looks we got when I would rumpity-rumped through the parking area. ANYHOW......the point is that I've pulled and backed up just about any kinda trailer you could think of....EXCEPT.....a 5th wheel trailer. If you've never backed up a 5th wheel, you need A LOT of practice because those things react waaaay different than a pull behind. And I suspect it has to do with the geometry and reaction forces of having the trailer pivot point directly above the TV axle.

The first time I backed that thing up I looked like a 2 year old having his first encounter with a Western Flyer wagon - I was discomboogled and all over the place. I'm getting better, but I'm not really happy with my learning curve. So I recently went to the Vo-Tech college about 5 miles from my house that teaches a truck driving school and asked if there was a way to take just a portion of the schooling or even private instruction. I got the instructors name and we've made plans for some private instructions.

There's no truck that is so large inside to house one's ego.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast