User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ThruHauler

Master list of common MAJOR issues?

I've good and scared myself over the last couple of days reading some of the horror stories on here and the facebook page. I'd like to pre-check against all of the big stuff before I hit the road. Can you help complete my list of things to look for, how I might identify them and how to fix or prevent them?

1) Kantleak can leak. They should have known they'd be cursing it by naming it that. It's like our HelpNow support desk at work.
    2) Slide hydraulic failure. No manual fail safe if the slides get stuck out?
    3) something where the one-way air valves fail and you get gassing from the black tank in the sinks. "It wasn't me babe. It's those cheap GD valves!"
    4) black tank collapse! Lord help me to never know this hell on earth.
    5) rain and road water pooling in the under belly, because it was apparently designed that way.
    6) the whole-home water filter isn't. or it is, if you only ever use the cold water?
    7) leaking seals - grease in the breaks. Sounds like a bad prank but it's for real?
    8) using the awning in a gentle breeze appears to destroy your awning and void your warranty.

I think that's all I remember but please include anything I've missed. And if you've got the checks and solutions handy and can save me going back and finding all these threads again I'd really appreciate that too.

Thanks!
    th

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. They don't use the KantLeak system anymore. It is now Nautilus.
    2. Haven't heard of any slide failures, but you have to manually push them in if the pump fails.
    3. Sometimes the rubber membrane fails. It ha[[ens in other brands also.
    4. I've only heard of the black tank falling out of early production Reflections. Has been redesigned.
    5. Again, haven't read or heard much about that. Our dealership has several hundred GD products on the road, and none that I know of with this issue.
    6. ? Not sure on this one.
    7. It is a common problem on any trailer with Lippert axles.
    8. The Carefree awning is not designed for use in wind, or rain for that matter if you read their manual. Again, a handful out of thousands on the road. I wouldn't call a major failure. Put them away in the wind.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think more people complain about problems than brag about good results. Grand Design has built over 25,000 RVs to date. We have a little over 5,000 members here. Every RV built will experience some problems, that's a fact of life. I have had my Solitude almost 2 years and I'm very happy with it. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've had in over 40 years of RVing
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 30 month-old Reflection 337. This summer:

1- AC unit dead after being used maybe 5-6 times. Not repairable.
    2- Short in 120 volt microwave circuit. Bad connection in underbelly.
    3- Complete disconnection between galley drain and gray tank. On a recent trip all water drained into underbelly before we discovered it.
    4- Outside shower leaking behind Convenience panel into underbelly.

Glad we purchased extended third party warranty coverage. Buy it!
    Last edited by Hotelguy234; 08-29-2016 at 06:51 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have not had any major issues to speak of. Kantleak value been about the only thing. My current concern is the Westlake tires. I have a wear on one tire that is not normal, no one seems to know but GD is sending me a new tire. Spare is currently on.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an alignment issue! They could have sent you a certificate for an alignment check at a Hunter equipped shop, the equipment MorRyde uses according to Second Chance Rob.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hotelguy is posting about the Molex connector for the microwave we have visited before. Not a good design!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, might agree except for the following:1.) No wear at all on the edge ribs or the middle rib- 2.) the rib between the outside rib and the middle rib is wore about 1/3 of the way around the tire (backside rib). At worst place, almost down to the wear bars, balance of that rib shows no wear. One of the guys at GD said I must have locked it up, I replied, wouldn't all of the ribs show that wear, another said alignment issue, I replied wouldn't that have shown across the tire? No answers so they are sending me a new tire. As to my previous alignment issues, Lippert thought there might be a spring problem so there are sending me a new set of springs (3000# instead of the 2600#). At this point, I am considering buying 2 new 6000# dexter axles in the near future also.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsp8 View Post
    We have not had any major issues to speak of. Kantleak value been about the only thing. My current concern is the Westlake tires. I have a wear on one tire that is not normal, no one seems to know but GD is sending me a new tire. Spare is currently on.
    Wear on one tire is not a tire problem - it's an alignment problem. Ours ended up being a bent axle/spindle. Again - a Lippert issue but neither they nor GD will make good on it (I can't prove I didn't "curb" it). Of all the vendor-supplied components, I think Lippert is the worst and most dangerous. The WestLake "Super-ST" tires are really not a bad tire.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure it is complaining about problems, but more of using the expertise of this forum to understand resolution to a problem. I love my Grand Design and think it, and the customer service is the very best out there. As in the case of the problem with my Microwave circuit and the connector getting wet, I was able to get to the fix for the problem very quick by getting info from the folks on this forum and that is outstanding ! We are already dreaming of our second Grand Design down the road, and that speaks volumes for this product, they truly are the best unit out there in my mind.
    Steve & Bunny
    Michigan
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 6.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast