Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30BH shakedown trip

We picked up our new 2016 30BH a week ago Friday and took it out on its first trip Thursday through Sunday about an hour and a half from home.

The trip started off on the wrong foot when my rear lights and camera quit working. Turned out that the wires of one of the clearance lights had shorted out on the rough edges of the hole cut for the light. The wires were melted so I filed the edges of the alumininum inside and put some electrical tape on it. Couldn't find the fuse at the auto parts store, so went without the lights (Ok since we were now in daylight.) Called GD cust service and they had offered the suggestion where to look, thanks fellas!

Had a fair amount of issues, which I hadn't expected with this brand.

The electric hot water heater didn't work. We just used gas, so not a big deal.
    The bluetooth on the stereo quit working. Tried resetting it and its still a no go.
    One of the outside speakers didn't work.
    The tv sound doesn't play through the speakers and I can't hear the TV when the AC is on. I had bought a cable after figuring this out at home, but when I looked at installing it thought that it was too much work as it looks like the refridgerator and the fireplace would have to be pulled out to do it.

Our camping spot was on a hill, and the front was pretty high. As I sat there and looked over, I noticed that the front axle has an arch to it, and the rear is straight, so I expect that the front axle is bent. At first I thought that maybe just because of the landing gear being extended in the front maybe it took some weight off the axle, but when we left it was the same on the road. I don't know how this would have happened as it has only about 3 hours of driving on it, and I haven't hit any potholes or anything. This one is a bigger concern than the other issues of course.

Some people with the 2016 30BH's had complained of the door hitting the awning when extended. Ours did, but when I retract the awning slightly it doesn't. I like the angle of the awning, and the rain protection it offers. We had a really rainy day, and sat under the awning eating and playing cards and everyone else I saw had to scurry inside, so I am going to deal with the arms on it vs requesting the replacement arms.

I am going to contact Grand Design and have plans to bring it to the dealer after work today since our next trip is in 2 weeks.

Overall we were pleased with the 30BH. It will work out well for the needs of our family, and I expect that the issues we have will be resolved and we will not remember the frustrations in short order. There was a Reflection in the seasonal area, and a Momentum pulled in on Friday, so there were 3 Grand Design owners there. On the way home I stopped for fuel and we ran into another, this one an Imagaine TT. That was the most Grand Design units I have seen!
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
    2016 Reflection 30BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I think there is always a slight arch to the axles when unloaded. Have you compared weights on front axle to rear axle?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, we are really enjoying it!!! The issues we may be having are minimal, and we won't remember them when we are sitting by a fire in a couple weeks!!

I haven't weighed it, but hooked up, loaded and ready to travel it is arched in the front too. I'll call and see what the deal is with customer service. Thanks for the reply.
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
    2016 Reflection 30BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Homegrown,

Congrats on your 30BH! We are loving ours!

The TV in our 30BH doesn't play over our speakers either. However if you are watching a DVD the movie will play over the speakers. Do you have the vent's on your AC unit closed? This will force the air through the ducted AC vents and will quiet the AC unit down. Unless you are 7' tall you will need a stool to reach the vents. They slide back and forth to open and close the direct AC vents.

Also, if you have the 2nd AC in the bedroom you can just run that unit when watching TV in the living room and it will be much quieter. Again close the direct vents on the bedroom AC to force the air into the ducts and into the living room.

We must have lucked out with our awning because the door doesn't come anywhere near the awning when it is out. Its such a huge awning we have had a group of 8-10 of us in chairs under it at one time. We love it!

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails