User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    davidbowlby

Question 2015 GD 317 RST - Question after maiden voyage

I just purchased a 2015 GD 317 RST and took it on it's maiden voyage this weekend, dry camping. We chose somewhere close to home and overall had a good time. I ran into an issue with the water system though. The fresh water tank strainer that is right before the water pump on the water lines was not secure. I can't say if it was like that the whole time it was owned or not. The strainer was on the ground beside its mount. I just picked it up and snapped it in, problem fixed (after hours of investigation, a trip back to the fill to make sure we did it right, a Walmart run for some much needed tools, and some quality hem and hawing).

My concern isn't necessarily with the strainer as much as what happened as a result. Water had leaked under the main storage compartment and was stuck in the belly of the camper at the bottom. The liner under the camper appears to be caulked to the frame as well as screwed in. I loosened a couple screws to peer in to see if I could see the standing water. All I could see was some silver lining that I assume is insulation. I ended up putting a small 5/16th hole in the center of the water swell to drain it and I sealed it after it drained. It was a shallow hole because I didn't want to hit anything important, just the liner.

My concern here is how do I access the belly to make sure there isn't anything damaged? Is this something I should just hand off to the extended warranty company? Has anyone had this happen? I saw something about someone having an issue with road water filling the belly, how should I drain it if that were to happen? Is there an access panel I'm missing? My biggest concern is mold developing because of it.

Any ideas or help would be fully appreciated. I'm already considering cutting an access panel door in the cover inside the storage compartment, to check and secure the strainer every time as part of my set up procedure. I had to unscrew 10 or 15 screws to see the plumbing, so an access panel would make it easier to check every time.

ThruHauler
    if you mean the water filter, there should also be a filter cap, confirm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that strainer pop out a couple times. If the selector is in wrong position on Kantleak valve,,it will pop loose
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

davidbowlby
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    I had that strainer pop out a couple times. If the selector is in wrong position on Kantleak valve,,it will pop loose
    I was afraid the Kantleak position was a possibility, we did mess around after with it after the pump didn't appear to work the first time. Did you run into the flooding with your run in with the strainer? If so, what did you do to drain it?

davidbowlby
    This is a little metal screen that literally clicks in place right beside the water pump. It isn't the circular flowjet inlet strainer, sorry for the confusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbowlby View Post
    I was afraid the Kantleak position was a possibility, we did mess around after with it after the pump didn't appear to work the first time. Did you run into the flooding with your run in with the strainer? If so, what did you do to drain it?
    I have a 379 with dropped frame. The water came out by my fresh water tank drain. It did flood the front compartment. I left the doors open until it dried.. Good luck, have fun! Make sure Kantleak is on city water when you are on city water.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

davidbowlby
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160829_175725.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	5391

Here is a photo of what I mean. The clear plastic part on the bottom is the metal screen that was not in place, notice the black plastic clips that hold it in place. The water appears to have went from there down the crack where the gray of the storage floor meets the black of the elevated area where the plumbing is located and dropped down into the belly under the camper. I checked again today and the water does appear to have drained out of the bottom thanks to my "manual release value" I am just curious if there is a way to access that area to visually confirm and inspect any other damage.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dropped the underbelly on our 337 a couple times. There are screws along the edges on the frame rails. I don't remember any sealant/glue holding it in place. Just loosened screws and it pulled down. The silver lining you saw is the insulation in there, not fiberglass insulation like I expected. Water shouldn't hurt that, other than that a lot of wires and debris laying on underbelly. Should be ok with your "manual release vave"
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

davidbowlby
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott and Jan View Post
    I have dropped the underbelly on our 337 a couple times. There are screws along the edges on the frame rails. I don't remember any sealant/glue holding it in place. Just loosened screws and it pulled down. The silver lining you saw is the insulation in there, not fiberglass insulation like I expected. Water shouldn't hurt that, other than that a lot of wires and debris laying on underbelly. Should be ok with your "manual release vave"
    Thanks that really sets my mind at ease. It seems to be dry now, as far as I can tell. I think the seal/glue may be part of the winterization package, not sure if yours had that or not. Maybe the previous owner did it to prevent any road water from getting in, I'll have to ask him.