User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Abby Normal

New Reflection...new to FWs

Hi All,

We are newbies who have just purchased a GD Reflection 337RLS. We are anxious to join the camping community, but before we set out we have a question. I've read that the tires on these RVs are of poor quality because they are made in China. We don't want to start out on the wrong foot, so we would appreciate any advice on whether we should have new tires (and what kind) put on before we pick up the RV.

Thanks in advance.

Melody

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Grand Design family! There are a couple long threads about just this topic. To summarize, many folks feel the Westlake tires are fine and get many thousands of miles out of them without any problems. Others like myself feel tires are one of the most important safety items on the RV and decided to replace the factory tires with something better. Whatever you decide to do, I'd recommend getting a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) like this one https://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/. Always keep your tires properly inflated and check them visually at each stop.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard, and congrats on your 337. We are finishing up our first season with ours and we love it.

We have been RVing for 40 years now, and I have yet to have any tire problems.I keep them covered in storage, check air pressure often, and crawl underneath to check the general condition before every trip. Lucky maybe, who knows. There are so many opinions out there, it's impossible to count. I would say, if different tires will make you more comfortable, then go for it.

John
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome guys, congratulations on your new camper, you're gonna love it!

I'm with oldguy John, never had tire trouble, but have heard plenty of horror stories. Buy a tire pressure monitoring system (TPM), and keep a close eye on that, keep the tires covered when not in use, and be sensible when you are towing (it's not about how fast you get there, it's about getting there). But also, as John mentioned, by all means, be comfortable in towing that thing around...you won't save any money IF something bad happens..
    Marlin & Laree Snyder
    Piper (Golden Retriever)
    Baker City, OR

2016 Reflection 337RLS (Piper's new dog house that she condescends to allow humans to inhabit occasionally)
    2016 Dodge RAM 3500 Shortbox Mega Cab 6.7L Diesel SRW
    Mopar (Ha! Curt) 25k Hitch

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...pswxidsicb.gif

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like a couple of the other "old guys," I've been pulling RVs and large boats for over 40 years. I've only had one tire problem with a trailer, but it was due to road debris (rebar, I think). It happened to be on a WestLake on our current Reflection, but it certainly wasn't the tire's fault. In fact, with the damage inflicted by the rebar, a lesser tire might have started to disintegrate and do damage to the RV. Also as stated above, we run a TPMS and it alerted me immediately to the loss of pressure and allowed me to get to the side of the road quickly.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you go to a G rated tire, it is very difficult (maybe impossible) to find an ST tire that isn't made somewhere in Asia. A lot of people go to LT tires as an alternative and the GD manual says either are acceptable. I don't know anything about Westlake tires because I went to 16 inch wheels on our 303. While we have all heard lots of stories, I have been using ST tires on our 5th wheels since 2002. Two sets of Goodyear Marathons, one US made, one Chinese and currently a set of Carlisles. I always use the max sidewall pressure on the tire, don't exceed 65 MPH for anything other than a very short time and keep them covered when not travelling. So far I have had no tire problems at all except for abnormal wear on one because of a bent axle. Not the tires fault but I ended up changing them all because they were six years old.

I agree with John though, you want to do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Takes the fun out of things if you are continually worried about your tires.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    notsosan, educate me as to where GDRV is OK with LT tires. I cannot find it!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Abby Normal
    Thank you all for your input. I feel more comfortable now and feel no need to change the tires.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no ST tires made in USA. All of them are made overseas. T

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched to Bridgestone Duravis R250's as soon as I got my new trailer to the campground--LT (E) tires.

You wouldn't believe the difference in beef vs. the OEM Westlakes. The sidewalls of the Bridgestones are 1" thick, and the tires must weigh 10 lbs. more each. It's hard to believe the NHTSA would rate ST tires higher in weight carrying capabilities, as there's no way the Westlakes are in the class with the Bridgestone ribbed tires.

The Bridgestones cost $197 @ Costco, and they were fresh out of Bridgestone/Firestone's warehouse in Nashville--2 hrs. from me. I sold the Westlakes on Craigslist within a week so Peace of Mind cost me a net $600.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast