User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossing Canadian border with numerous bottles of wine.

I know this is not the best place to post this, but this thread gets viewed more than others. I'm from Wetumpka Al and planning a trip to the NY Finger Lake area for the wineries. We will then be crossing the Canadian/US border at Buffalo NY and crossing Canada to the Sarnia Ontario crossing back into the US to go to Traverse City MI, wait for it, to visit the wineries! There will be an over niter in Grimsby Ontario. I imagine we will have 48 bottles of wine at that point. Will we have to pay duties on that wine going into Canada and then again coming back to the US. Has anyone actually done this? I know I can take one bottle free into both the US and Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have been away from Canada for 48 hours or more, you are allowed to import one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we crossed into Canada we had 7 bottles of wine and some beer. We didn't get charged but we told them we had it. If they think/feel it's for personal consumption they can let you go without paying the duty. They don't want you to sell or give it to Canadians to avoid the taxes. Now 48 bottles looks a little more like boot legging than personal consumption...just saying. The US doesn't care about booze from Canada because nobody stocks up Canada, it's too expensive. I was told if you had hard liquor if the bottle was open with some gone it was classified as personal.

Can you rent a storage area in the US or have the winery's ship it to you, I think it would be much cheaper than the duty.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, two days ago we crossed the border into Canada and the next day back into the US with 4 cases of wine. The only thing they wanted to know on either border was where we were going and if we had firearms. No one asked if we had anything to declare. So at this point I still don't know what would happen, but it no longer matters. Happy wino!!!!!!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually