Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Camping Weekend

We camped this weekend at East Harbor State Park on Lake Erie-a very nice park. Sunday we were going to run to the grocery. Was shutting a basement door and my wife noticed the floor was went in area. We have the infamous Kantleak leak! I had ordered a spare valve and tried replacing that to see if that was the issue-it was still leaking. Opened up the access panel and found the leak. Didn't want to try to fix it there so we just shut the water off when not using and it wasn't a big deal.

We were about an hour away from home when we stopped at a Love's to walk the dogs and grab a Subway sandwich. I did my usual walk-around and found something in the front driver's side tire on the trailer. Thank God we found it there rather than have to change the tire on the road. Took about an hour after airing up the spare and cleaning up.

When we got home, I started on the Kantleak issue-followed Rob's instructions (outstanding job Rob!). The only issue I had was removing the pex clamp. Tried using a flathead screwdriver to pry it open-no luck but was able to stab my had 3 times (nothing serious). I finally Googled how to remove and someone posted a video doing it with a hacksaw. That finally worked. Will go to Lowes tomorrow and get the T and fittings. I did ruin the pex line from the T to the connector that screws into the back of the valve so will need to replace that too.

I do have a question regarding that connection-will a sharkbyte fitting work on that T to pex setting or will I need an actual pex connector? Also can I use a brass nut instead of the plastic one?

Thanks.
    Dave and Anne
    2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 3.55 Crew Cab/SB
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS w/King Size Bed and Dual A/C
    2 Golden Retrievers - Ivy 6 yrs and Ruby 2 yrs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A shark bite fitting will work fine with Pex that has not been chewed up with a previous Pex clamp. See details in the Kantleak repair document. For removing Pex clamps see http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...hlight=Nippers

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I really put a hurt on that pex line today so I assume I will need a new piece. What would you recommend to use to connect the pex to the T?
    Dave and Anne
    2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 3.55 Crew Cab/SB
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS w/King Size Bed and Dual A/C
    2 Golden Retrievers - Ivy 6 yrs and Ruby 2 yrs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dihtn1 View Post
    Thanks Rob. I really put a hurt on that pex line today so I assume I will need a new piece. What would you recommend to use to connect the pex to the T?
    Hi Dave,

I used a 1/2" Sharkbite to 1/2" MPT fitting screwed into the Tee and then the Pex pushed into that.
    Most of the water lines are Pex and GDRV uses the crimp clamps because they use plastic fittings. You can use the solid copper rings (as commonly used in residential Pex) if you switch to copper/brass fittings. The Pex crimp clamps and the tool to install these are available at Home Depot or similar. A good tool and good spare parts to have. Along with some standard Pex tubing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure that it is PEX pipe and not that rubber flexible heater hose that is used. That stuff is not the same diameter as PEX and will not hold in a PEX or Sharkbite fitting. On my 27RL, the Kantleak plumbing mess had both PEX pipe and that cheap rubber hose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Rob and minnow101 for your replies. Will get the parts today and work on it tonight.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When carrying spare pex is 1/2" sufficient or do we need other sizes too?
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    When carrying spare pex is 1/2" sufficient or do we need other sizes too?
    I carry 10 ft. of 1/2" pex tubing (they sell that length at Home Depot), a couple of Tee's and Elbows. Small bag of Pex clamps and the clamp crimp tool. Get ready for sticker shock on the price of the crimp tool.

I have seen where others carry the Sharkbite Push-to-Connect fittings.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not ever worked with pex-please excuse this 101 question but what is used to cut the pex tubing? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dihtn1 View Post
    I've not ever worked with pex-please excuse this 101 question but what is used to cut the pex tubing? Thanks.
    Best is a Pex cutter. A sharp knife will cut it.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast