Near the base of the Spanish Peaks in Southern Colorado lies the town of La Veta. Incorporated in 1876, La Veta is home to about 500 residents, a growing arts community and some wonderful small restaurants serving locally raised meats and vegetables.

About an hours drive from The Great Sand Dunes National Monument, La Veta there are a lot of opportunities for camping, hiking, mountain biking, hunting, cross country skiing, fishing or just sitting under a tree. Public access for fishing can be found at Bear and Blue Lakes at the Cuchara Recreation Area south of La Veta, Trail information can be obtained from the San Isabel National Forests office in La Veta. Horseback riding, golf and other activities are also available in the region.

We also visited Colorado Gators in the town of Mosca (http://www.coloradogators.com/) A surprisingly good exhibit in the midst of the San Luis Valley. I was impressed to see the animals thriving in what is traditionally a very harsh high mountain valley.

Circle the Wagons (http://www.circlethewagonsrvpark.com/) is a fairly small RV park, with decent sized sites said to be 40x60. While RVs are reasonably close together, we never felt cramped or disturbed by our neighbors. All sites have power (some 30- some 50amp,) water and sewer. There are a couple of tents sites available as well if you have others in the area that prefers to rough it! Rates are on their site, and they offer a discount for cash or check instead of card. The couple that own and operate the park are very welcoming, and even share their DVD collection with guests. There is free WiFi within the park, a small library with board games, bathrooms, washer/dryer, and some outdoor games to play as well. The Cuchara River also borders the park, while I didn't see any fish, my son had a great time climbing around and falling in!

The centrally located propane fire pit became a social area when the sun went down. Full timers spending their late summer in the area, and those in the area for less time, came together with their adult beverages to enjoy the star filled evening. We enjoyed good conversation, without being something that would embarrass the parents that brought their children along.