Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 5th wheels and looking at GD/Reflection 303RLS. Lots of silly questions...

HI, please forgive me in advance for asking a lot of “stupid” questions and for being long winded. The wife and I are looking into our first 5th wheel and are in uncharted territory. The kids are getting older and soon we will be “empty nesters”. As such, it is time to sell the bunk house hybrid move into a little more space and comfort as retirement nears. I believe we have settled on a 5th wheel. It is the natural progression from Pop-up to Hybrid, to… Since we enjoy state and national parks along with more secluded campsites we want to keep the length down in the 30’ range (+/-). I won’t bore anyone with our long list of wants and needs but it does seem that GD has some units that fit the bill. From everything I have read on the forums GD does seem to have their act together supporting their customers. We all know this is severely lacking in the RV business. While I am a cheap SOB I have spent 30 years in customer service and do have a lot or respect for a company that stands behind their product.

Anyways, while at the long end of our length window, the 303RLS (Reflection) seems to hit many of our wants. I have not been able to physically look at one but hope to at the Hershey RV show. Our plan is to scout a many units in the 2 days we plan to be there and come out with a solid direction. I have many questions that I am hoping folks can help me with in advance. Some are unit specific some are not.

303 specific:
    -Is the refrigerator accessible for loading and use with the slide in on the 303? This is a real desire since we often stop on route for lunch, etc.
    -Can you access the Pantry with slide in? (not as critical)
    -Is there an external propane port on the 303 for an outside grill, etc. If so where is it? We do much of our cooking outside.
    -Can a second awning be attached to the passenger side bump out? My concern is the structure of the bump-out. Can it handle an awning? That location seems like the most logical place for an outdoor Kitchen area as we like to put a picnic table under awning also and that takes up space of the
    supplied awning.
    -Is there power accessible anywhere outside other than in the front storage bays? (again looking at outdoor kitchen setup)
    -Other than at the convenience center on the driver side is there outside water? I see on the 29RL that there is a port on the back passenger side on the floor plans.
    -I know this sounds silly but where do you mount a TP holder for the bathroom? No pictures on the internet show this important piece of equipment?
    -What is the frame construction of the 303? 8” or 10” I-beam.

GD/Reflection general:
    -I see that GD does not offer bump-out awning/toppers as an option. Any idea why ? Has anyone put their own on?
    -How well do the auto levelers work? In reading directions it says the unit must be level before use. So does that mean you still need to park the unit on wheel ramps as appropriate first and “pre-level”? If so what is the benefit of the auto leveler system over the electric jacks?
    -What/How is the floor made? Is it 5/8 on 16” centers? Plywood or OSB? One piece or tongue and groove? I am VERY gun shy after having rebuilt the entire floor of our hybrid due to a water leak that separated the thin luan plywood and styrofoam “sandwich” of our existing Hybrid. I do NOT want to deal with soft spots and delamination of a floor again (very ugly). It seems many “lighter weight” units are still built this way. Has anyone heard of “soft spots” with GD units?
    -Turning radius. Some brands are offering a Reese sidewinder as an option moving the 5th wheel pivot point back for short bed trucks. GD does not offer this. Will I need a slider setup in a short wheel base truck? FYI, I don't have a TV yet. Looking at 3/4 ton or better units. The real question is gas or diesel but we wont go there in this string.

I am sure there will be a ton more questions but this posting is far too long as is… Thanks for any assistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can provide details on all but 1 of the 303 specific questions.

303 specific:
    1. Is the refrigerator accessible for loading and use with the slide in on the 303? This is a real desire since we often stop on route for lunch, etc.

YES, Easy Access -

2. Can you access the Pantry with slide in? (not as critical)

NO -

3. Is there an external propane port on the 303 for an outside grill, etc. If so where is it? We do much of our cooking outside.

NO, some have added it the propane lines run down the drivers side -

4. Can a second awning be attached to the passenger side bump out? My concern is the structure of the bump-out. Can it handle an awning? That location seems like the most logical place for an outdoor Kitchen area as we like to put a picnic table under awning also and that takes up space of the
    supplied awning.

Not Sure - I have seen a picture of one added to a Solitude either on this site of the Facebook site.

5. Is there power accessible anywhere outside other than in the front storage bays? (again looking at outdoor kitchen setup)

Power is only in the front storage bays -

6. Other than at the convenience center on the driver side is there outside water? I see on the 29RL that there is a port on the back passenger side on the floor plans.

Outside water is limited to the driver side from bay/convenience center -

7. I know this sounds silly but where do you mount a TP holder for the bathroom? No pictures on the internet show this important piece of equipment?

We have not figured that out yet going on 1.5 years. I have seen pictures of on the wall next to the toilet, the sink cabinet flat space directly in front of the toilet and also in teh middle of the sink cabinet where current there is a formed piece of paneling.

8. -What is the frame construction of the 303? 8” or 10” I-beam.

8" I Beam
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, we are in an older 303, pre auto level construction and love it. Obviously we think it's a great choice!
    303 specific:
    -Is the refrigerator accessible for loading and use with the slide in on the 303? This is a real desire since we often stop on route for lunch, etc.
    -Can you access the Pantry with slide in? (not as critical) The fridge is accessable, that is one of our priorities too. Pantry is not. I keep what we need to eat on the road handy in the first cabinet of the hutch and a small collection of paper plates napkins and plastic in the small lower 1st section.
    -Is there an external propane port on the 303 for an outside grill, etc. If so where is it? We do much of our cooking outside. Not on our build
    -Can a second awning be attached to the passenger side bump out? My concern is the structure of the bump-out. Can it handle an awning? That location seems like the most logical place for an outdoor Kitchen area as we like to put a picnic table under awning also and that takes up space of the supplied awning. Don't know . We set up an ez up type awning away from the trailer for outdoor cooking when we are camping
    -Is there power accessible anywhere outside other than in the front storage bays? (again looking at outdoor kitchen setup) nope, but there is amousehole to drop a chord through
    -Other than at the convenience center on the driver side is there outside water? Not on ours
    I see on the 29RL that there is a port on the back passenger side on the floor plans.
    -I know this sounds silly but where do you mount a TP holder for the bathroom? No pictures on the internet show this important piece of equipment did not mount one, we use a narrow tp/magazine rack between the wall and toilet
    -What is the frame construction of the 303? 8” or 10” I-beam.

GD/Reflection general:
    -I see that GD does not offer bump-out awning/toppers as an option. Any idea why ? Has anyone put their own on? don't know this one either
    -How well do the auto levelers work? In reading directions it says the unit must be level before use. So does that mean you still need to park the unit on wheel ramps as appropriate first and “pre-level”? If so what is the benefit of the auto leveler system over the electric jacks? not having it i don't know
    -What/How is the floor made? Is it 5/8 on 16” centers? Plywood or OSB? One piece or tongue and groove? I am VERY gun shy after having rebuilt the entire floor of our hybrid due to a water leak that separated the thin luan plywood and styrofoam “sandwich” of our existing Hybrid. I do NOT want to deal with soft spots and delamination of a floor again (very ugly). It seems many “lighter weight” units are still built this way. Has anyone heard of “soft spots” with GD units? i'll leave that to the bubuild experts
    -Turning radius. Some brands are offering a Reese sidewinder as an option moving the 5th wheel pivot point back for short bed trucks. GD does not offer this. Will I need a slider setup in a short wheel base truck? FYI, I don't have a TV yet. Looking at 3/4 ton or better units. The real question is gas or diesel but we wont go there in this string. Diesel....we started with a short bed ford and no slider, never had an issue . But now have a long bed. Go big you won't be sorry!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw in a couple of my observations as a brand new owner (first trip last weekend). I have a 2012 RAM 2500 4wd HD Diesel sort box.
    It is perfect for this trailer. I wouldn't tow anything too much bigger with it, but The 303 tows like a dream. I have a superglide slider hitch and can turn almost 90 degrees with it. I made a wrong turn Friday on the way up north and had to make a u turn in a country road intersection - no problem.
    I averaged between 11 and 12 mpg for the 450 mile round trip bucking strong headwinds on the way back. Most of the driving was on two lane roads with lots of towns, etc. so I'm sure I can do a lot better on a longer trip on the freeway. That mileage also included a couple of 25 mile round trips in to town without the trailer.
    I had a problem with the anti siphon valve on the toilet leaking that I managed to fix with an emergency repair. In the process of getting a new part from either GD or the dealer. That is the only problem I have found with the trailer.
    As to the auto levelers - I think what they mean about having it level before you start is that you want to have a "reasonably" level place to park it. I discovered that the only place in my yard that I can park it has a 10" difference in slope between the front and back of the trailer. The first time I leveled it, I needed blocks under the rear jacks and then it lifted the back wheels off the ground. I had a gravel pad built and now it is no problem. It works beautifully - they were a "must have" for me because I hate manual stabilizers and leveling with blocks under the wheels for side to side. This is much more stable. The only movement you have is a little bit of movement because it is still on the springs I think...
    Haven't figured out where or how to mount the TP holder yet. Hoping to find some suggestions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Don and Donna
    "Spook" (1/2 Bichon, 1/2 American Eskimo)
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    2012 RAM 2500 HD Laramie 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 6 spd 4X4 S/B Crew Cab
    PullRite SuperGlide 16K
    Mopeka Bluetooth LPG Remote Tank Monitors
    TireMinder TPMS
    Performance Trailer Braking Titan Disc Brake Upgrade

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 303 so I can't help you there but since you mentioned tow vehicles...

Buy more than you think you need for the 303. It sounds like this is your 3rd RV so the odds of a 4th at some point down the road isn't unreasonable. Don't limit your options by getting something that is just adequate for your current needs. My advice would be to get a 1 ton. It rides the same as a 3/4 ton when empty but when loaded it will have "overload" springs (at least the Chevy/GMC does) that increase your payload. As for gas vs diesel - if you want to tow your rig up steep grades with a huge grin on your face, get a diesel. The Chevy/GMC (and perhaps the others) also have true exhaust brakes so that smile will stay on your face while going down the steep grades too. No more white knuckling while descending. No more holding traffic back on grades. Just a big grin while cruising up anything at 60mph.

The great news is all 3 of the big truck manufacturers make fantastic trucks now and can be outfitted with great towing features - gas or diesel. You can even get 1/2 ton trucks with impressive towing specs that are far better than just a few years ago. Good luck and have fun!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 5th wheels and looking at GD/Reflection 303RLS. Lots of silly questions...

Whittleburner pretty much answered your questions. We also have an early model 303, and it's great for retired folks like us.

Yes you can access the fridge and bathroom with sides in. Although you can't get in the pantry, there are two kitchen cupboards and a drawer you get into. You can also get into the closets. We thought we'd miss the outside outlet, but haven't missed it in nearly 3 years in our Reflection. After seeing Whittleburner's freestanding toilet paper holder, wish we hadn't mounted ours on the wall.

Btw, good advice to get the 1 ton truck....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we ordered our 303rls in July because we wanted a two ac's and a dinette. We don't care for the table and chairs. Anyway to our surprise it came with two awnings. The second one mounted to the right side slideout.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! If that is the case that solves one of my "wants"! I will ask at the Hershey RV show. My understanding is that there will be a 303 there. How do you like the dinette? If you don't mind me asking Why do you prefer that over the table/chairs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott d View Post
    we ordered our 303rls in July because we wanted a two ac's and a dinette. We don't care for the table and chairs. Anyway to our surprise it came with two awnings. The second one mounted to the right side slideout.
    What brand and model # is it, that would be a good add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott d View Post
    I'd like to see a pic of the 2nd awning. We have a 303 and I've wondered about if an awning would work on that slide

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast