Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh Water tank siphoning off? 2014 337RLS Need support from Grand Design

Okay, I need some help! First off, the fresh water tank is supposed to be 60 gallon capacity...

I fill the fresh water tank, It spills out the blue over flow. It keeps spilling and draining and draining.

It does this for quite some time.

I top it off again and it repeats the process.

I finally decided to get scientific about this and drained the tank so I could measure exactly what was going in.
    I added 51 gallons and it started draining. When it was done, I measured what was left in the tank...35 gallons! Not good.

This smacks of the overflow being inserted into the tank too far.

The first question is, can I access the tank overflow and modify it with out killing myself in the process? I am not really interested in dropping the belly pan to fix this.
    The second question is, Will Grand Design stand behind their product and fix this? This is a 2014 which we bought last fall, so....

I have another post related to the fresh water tank but it concerns running out out of water, when there is still water in the tank.
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Upgraded 2014 337RLS to a 2019 311BHS, Then Upgraded 2019 311BHS to 2020 367BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any solutions or ideas?
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:
    A couple questions. You mention you bought the unit last fall? Did this just recently start happening after almost a year? That would indicate something changed/ shifted. If this was a new unit last fall it certainly is less then a year after purchase. It doesn't matter when it was built but rather when it was sold off the dealers lot. Have you contacted the dealer to fix? They should be able to drop the tank, not you.... Both the siphoning and your pump issue come down to physics , which you have already figured out. It is now a matter of who opens up the unit to get to the two hoses.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
    Does anyone have any solutions or ideas?
    Marty,

The only way to solve this is to drop the tank (as much as you don't want to) and make sure that the vent hose goes only a little way into the top of the tank and the pick-up goes all the way to the bottom. From SE Michigan, you must be only 2 to 3 hours from the factory service center in Middlebury. Schedule a service appointment with them . . . and since your rig does not come close to meeting the published specs, I would expect that they will be very fair in helping you solve this problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

and make sure that the vent hose goes only a little way into the top of the tank and the pick-up goes all the way to the bottom.

Rob
    Rob,

I have never opened up the bottom of my 303rls to look at the water tank but i'm get a little confused with your comment about a vent hose gong into the tank. Why would they do that? These tanks are roto-molded and suspect that in some cases the vent hole is a nipple that can be connected to, or the plumbing fittings are spin welded in place after the roto-mold process. The only reason I can think of for inserting a tube into the vent hole is to try to reach the center of the tank so I doesn't drain while going around turns, and in that case they would need to support that tube so it doesn't sag into the water causing siphon issues. Just trying to understand.

For the fun of it I went through a little exercise this morning with my CAD and some 3d drawings to emulate how much water would be lost with side to side and front to back tilt on a trailer when filling tank. I used a 60'Wx36"Lx6"H (a guess on the appx. size of my 303rls tank) as an example and used 2 degrees as the amount of tilt (I think my 303RLS was about ~1.7 degrees before spring change). The example is 56.4 gallon tank and a 2 degree side to side tilt could loose around 20 gallons of water with the vent hole on the drivers side and toward the back of the tank. It's amazing how much water can be lost with a couple degrees of tilt.

Here is a PDF of the example drawings: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Tank Example.pdf 
Views:	60 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	5475

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Pat,

That is a very interesting analysis ! Makes sense when you consider the wide shallow tanks.

Somewhere on this forum (that I can't find right now) is a picture of the blue Pex vent line coming up over the left rear corner of the tank and going down through a hole in the top.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hey Pat,

That is a very interesting analysis ! Makes sense when you consider the wide shallow tanks.

Somewhere on this forum (that I can't find right now) is a picture of the blue Pex vent line coming up over the left rear corner of the tank and going down through a hole in the top.

Rob
    Rob,

Is this the pic you were talking about? I re-posted this in another thread: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...6&d=1401479628

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Rob,

Is this the pic you were talking about? I re-posted this in another thread: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...6&d=1401479628

Pat
    That is the picture that I was thinking of. Looking at it more carefully a second time, it looks like the vent goes up and over through two 90 degree fittings and then it must go through another 90 degree fitting and in through the end wall of the tank. This should keep the vent closer to the top of the tank, even if it is inserted further than necessary.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cate & Rob,
    I have sent a message to Grand Design via their web site and someone is supposed to contact me. I am sure they will take care of this judging from other's experiences.
    We are hoping they will authorize my dealer to perform the work so we don't have to drive to Indiana...
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All,

We have had the unit for almost a year and most of the time we camp full hook-up. The last two months have been primarily dry camping and is why this was discovered. We found out in July but have been too busy with camping and other activities to deal with it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast