Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Help Us Choose a New Rig - Two Choices!

Note: I posted the same info on the FB page so I could solicit a broad spectrum of input.

New Rig Input - We expect the insurance settlement on the truck and 337RLS in the next couple of weeks. It has taken us quite a while to document all the modifications we'd done to the truck and RV. It's also taking us a long time to document all the personal items we lost. There are many times a day when we remember something we lost that we hadn't thought of before. We've been able to find quite a few receipts for supporting documentation. We don't know what the final ...settlement will be, but we've narrowed our search for a new GD product to two units. We'd love to hear from owners of each and get your thoughts.
    We have decided to go with a TRAVEL TRAILER on our next rig instead of a fifth wheel! There are several reasons such as:
    1. We'll get full use of our truck bed back.
    2. We have spent the last three years touring the country from California to Maine. We want to get back to camping more than touring. When we camp, we love to fish, and we'd like to have a boat. So we're going to purchase a rack that we can place on top of the truck in order to load up to a 16' boat. Eide makes a good one with an automatic loader.
    3. Frankly, we no longer want part of our trailer hanging over the truck bed like you have in a fifth wheel. I know our fire was a rare event, but should we ever experience another truck fire, we want to minimize the chances of the flames taking out the RV also. With a TT, you can toss the propane tanks and have several feet of space between the back of the truck and the RV.
    4. Ginnie has knee problems and minimizing the number of stairs will help.
    5. A travel trailer isn't as tall as a FW, so we can get into some of our favorite forests a little easier.

So the two prospective choices are the Imagine 2650RK, and the Reflection 297RSTS. They both have floor plans we like, but each has some drawbacks we need to consider. The imagine has a ton of counter space, but seems very limited on seating in the main living area. The Reflection has all the whistles and bells we loved with our 337RLS, but it appears to have very limited storage in the kitchen. We wouldn't know where to store our food, pots & pans, etc. We are not interested in other models.

We'd really like your input on the plusses and minuses of each unit, especially if you own one of these rigs. I'm leaning towards the Reflection, and Ginnie likes the Imagine.

I'm including a few pics with the post. The first one shows how the boat loader works. The second is a chart I made to compare the Reflection and Imagine side by side. The final pic is another view of the fire aftermath.

Power loading/unloading of a boat onto the truck rack after unhitching the trailer.

Side by Side comparison of the Imagine and the Reflection

Another view of the long lost FW and truck.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that explains the Srw 2016 and not a dually. I understand your reluctance to get back in a 5th wheel, you had a traumatic experience. Here's my 2cents, it's wort all of what you paid for.

After being in a 337 the 297 would feel more like home but the lack of kitchen storage is a big thing on extended travels. The pantry, that will be missed for sure. But the bedroom stroage is way better in the 297. The minuses @ almost 34 ft it will still limit what forest spots you can get into. Length is just as limiting as height in forest camping. Hitching is more labor intensive with a TT . Storage is less in a TT. Either way you go a long TT or 5th wheel there will be limits of where you go. How about a 5th wheel along with an A frame pop up for forest camping. The best of both worlds! Remember, my advice is worth what you paid for it
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Me, they would both be non starters since they don't have windows on the passenger side looking into my camp site. I have grand kids and when the visit and are outdoors I want to be able to keep a eye on them. Also, I hate siting at the dinner room table watching the neighbor barbecue steaks while I'm eating hamburgers .
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are very nice campers. With a back up camera on trucks, hitching a travel trailer is very easy. That boat loader is very slick. Good luck in your decision.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim & Ginnie,

An interesting dilemma . At the Rally, I happened to get involved in a discussion about "wouldn't it be nice to have the truck box for all the extra stuff we carry !" I think there is definitely some new hitch technology that has tamed the traditional TT sway.

Cate & I also picked up on the storage and seating concerns that you noted and the lack of windows on the curb side mentioned by Dennis.
    Certainly if cold weather camping is a consideration, the extra insulation in the Reflection might be important.

I know that you said no other models are being considered, but if we applied our "priorities" list . . . pantry, island, theater seats directly across from TV, sufficient other seating (all of which you had in the 337) there is an Imagine model right between the two alternatives you have selected (by weight and size) that has all of these features plus a second outside awning. Cate's input is that you should consider the Imagine 2950RL.

We like your plan for the TT, boat rack and truck bed carrying room !

Rob & Cate
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dang it Rob. I thought we had it kind of narrowed down. I just looked at some YouTube video's on the 2950RL. It's very similar in the living room to your 303 or our 337. We initially didn't like it because of the two doors in the bath, but the video shows there's still lots of room. The lower insulation value might be an issue for keeping cool here in the South West, but this model has the option of a second AC and 50 amp service. I'll have to show this one to Ginnie and get her thoughts.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Personally I thing the Imagine is the coolest TT out there. Ever since I saw it at the Rally last year I have "imagined" having one or wishing my son could get one, however, I didn't realize the insulation was so much different than the Reflections. That would be a total deal breaker for us having come out of a poorly insulated Cougar (compared to our 337). We absolutely and definitely notice a difference and really can't imagine (all those use of 'imagine" is not intentional). The same thing holds true for 30 amp versus 50 amp service. My last trailer was only 30 amp and it was a major reason I got rid of it. BTW, absolutely love the double awnings on the 2950!

Not much help because it's not available but the 2950 with better insulation would be a hot ticket as far as I'm concerned.

Boy, real tough decision Jim (and Ginnie). I thought for sure you were moving to a Solitude but I really understand this move. Deb and I have often talked about moving to something much smaller at some point down the road. I hope GD improves the insulation in the Imagine because that was my quiet dream.

Good luck and we're eager to hear what you decide.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

The two doors to the bath is actually one of the things we really like about our 303. On the rare occasion that we have guests, this works well from the two sleeping areas.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or if you could find one, the discontinued Reflection 313 RLTS. I agree with Rob the 2 door bath is one feature we really like, even without anyone staying with us.
    For me it eliminates trying to get around (or tripping on) the dogs sleeping at the foot of the bed
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Or if you could find one, the discontinued Reflection 313 RLTS. I agree with Rob the 2 door bath is one feature we really like, even without anyone staying with us.
    For me it eliminates trying to get around (or tripping on) the dogs sleeping at the foot of the bed
    Yeah, but that 313 and now the 315 is 37 feet long. Ideally, we'd prefer something quite a bit shorter than that, but our choices are limited in the GD product lines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast