User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another 'Is my tow vehicle enough' post. :-)

Hi all,

My wife and I currently own a 2016 Dodge RAM 3500 4x4 SRW and a 2017 Solitude 300GK. The specs for my truck are below:
    GVWR = 11,700
    Payload = 3,850
    GCWR = 25,300
    Max Trailer Weight Rating = 17,050

Our Solitude is 12,100 unloaded, 2653 hitch weight. From calculations, I believe we have about 1500 pounds of cargo. Between people, dogs, and cargo in the truck, we have about 600 pounds in the truck when traveling. We've only towed it from Denver to the TX coast so far, but it pulled very well and felt very stable. We had decent winds between Amarillo and San Antonio. The exhaust brake is a great feature for slowing / braking while cruising, and also was a great assist in stopping at the end of offramps, etc.

Because we full-time and work remotely from the road, we're learning quickly that the 300GK doesn't have enough space for us to comfortably work AND live. So, we're looking at the Momentum 328M, due to the ability to customize the garage space. We'd plan to have roughly the same cargo weight in that unit that we have now.

The 328M UVW is 12,400 with a hitch weight of 2450. Purchasing a new truck isn't an option for us, as we love this vehicle, got a great deal on it, and it's our driver for getting into town and tighter mountain roads. If need be, we'd go smaller/lighter on trailer configurations before changing TVs. Just our situation and personal preference.

Based on my calculations, I believe that we will be fine on weights with the 328M, especially because we do not have heavy toys to load and plan to use the space as an office only. However, I'd love feedback from any one that might be towing with a similar configuration, or any other tips/thoughts. Thanks in advance!

-Scott
    Scott and Lindsey
    __
    2017 Solitude 300GK
    2016 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD Laramie 4x4

-Firestone Ride-Rite air bags w/Air Lift WirelessAIR
    -PullRite SuperGlide 2700 (16K)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It sure looks like it would work to me. You have enough towing and payload capacity to make it work. You might even consider some air bags to level the load if needed, but if it's working with the Solitude, it should work with that Momentum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a few years....but interested to hear if you made the switch and how the tow vehicle did.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from using UVWs and advertised pin weights - they are almost meaningless. Also, you'll load a lot more stuff than you estimate. Use 23% of the trailer's GVWR for an estimated loaded pin weight. Take your truck to the CAT scales with the hitch, a full tank, and both of you in it to see what the truck really weights. Subtract the truck's actual scale weight from the GVWR on the sticker to see what kind of real payload you have left over. In the end, you may be OK - but until you use some hard numbers, you don't know.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015