User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Awning Help 2015 380TH

First, we (I) foolishly left the awning extended and left to tour the area we're currently visiting in Colorado. I had only one side of the awning tied down as I couldn't find a tie down location on the other side as I normally do. Naturally, an unexpected storm with higher winds hit the area, and when we returned the awning was basically on the roof and the bottom connecting bars were in the air. I was able to get on the roof and get the awning somewhat back in place. None of the arms are bent and the awning will function. The damage I need to address is twofold: 1) 3 of the self tapping anchors securing the railing track to the sidewall pulled loose and those holes are stripped. I would not worry as much as I could seal with butyl and drill new holes, but the very top screw pulled out and I feel that one is critical. 2) the little rollers on the pins that allow the arms to slide up and down the track more easily were missing (I found all 4). I was able to force the pins back onto the tracks, but not with the rollers in place.

Questions are:
    1)Does anyone have a suggestion on a product I could use to fill the top hole that would harden, be drillable and allow a new anchor to be installed securely?
    2)Any EASY ideas on getting the roller back on the pins and on the track? I think I know the proper way, which would be to remove the screw shown and remove both heads, lay the awning on the roof, and extend the arms below the track. Problem is we're full-timers and that looks like a 2-3 person job.

I know I could (and may have to) get a Mobile RV guy to do this, but I'm pretty handy and would rather save a buck if I can. Any suggestions appreciated.

I've attached 3 pics. 1 shows the total arm with the screw I believe would release the power head and idler head if that is my only option. Pic 2 shows the rollers mention, and pic 3 shows the pins sans rollers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	5550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	5549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	5548
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about you awning misfortune, Alan.

The repair is past my comfort area but it might be worth a call/email to JD in service to seek some advice on the fix. They do good work and have reattached several awnings that were partially pulled away from the trailer wall. May have had to do some hole repair while doing it so would know the best approach to that part.

Good luck!
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Chris. That was going to be my next step. As I said, I feel fortunate as it could have been much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to try a bigger diameter screw at the top or else use two new screws up there. I just replaced my awning arm because one of the members was bent. GD sent me a complete mounting kit and it was an easy fix for two people. One could do it with some sort of stand to hold the end up when trying to screw the assembly to the side of the unit.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Gary. Appreciate the suggestion. I'm heading to Home Depot today to see if I can find a larger screw that will work. Since we're on the road it's got to be a one person job for now. I may have to add some additional screws to travel until we get near some friends that can help me. Fortunately the awning isn't bent and functions. I was lucky and it is a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.
    Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the reply from GD was to order replacement arms. I went to the Carefree website and that's $1,000 since they have it where you have to order the entire assembly. I'm sure I could shop around, but I'm going to do a little Dremel work on the channel to allow me to remount the rollers. As for the mounting bracket itself I bought some larger lag screws to do the top hole, and am filling the balance of the old holes and using new points for the balance.

Lesson learned! Never leave the rig with the awning deployed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen