User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firearms and Travel Trailers

An advanced search for threads on firearms yielded discussions about going to Canada and posts by RamGunner, but I have a newbie general question about keeping a firearm in your travel trailer in the lower 48 USA states. I keep loaded pump shotguns in my home for self protection and think I would like to carry one with me in my travel trailer for the same reason. My question is, do they view the travel trailer as a motor vehicle for gun purposes? The trailer is registered, tagged, and taxed as such in my home state. I know in some states, not my home state, it is illegal to have a concealed firearm in a motor vehicle. Are there some states where it would be against the law for me to have a shotgun in my travel trailer?
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a very difficult post to answer in a one or two page response on a forum. I'm attaching a 498 page compilation of firearm laws for all 50 states that was published by the U.S. BATFE. This information is available on the NRA-ILF website. The laws are very diverse and difficult to piece together. Of course, the easiest way to stay out of trouble is to leave the firearms at home. But personally, I prefer to carry one for hunting and self protection. If you do so, leave the handguns at home since they are illegal in many jurisdictions without a proper license or permit. Since you'll be carrying a shotgun, you'll be fine in almost all jurisdictions if you travel with it unloaded, in a case and locked up. Keep the ammunition separate from the weapon and there are very few places you'll run into legal issues. It's a gray area about your trailer being your home while it's actually in motion on the highway. So for peace of mind, keep it unlocked and stored properly. You can always load it once you arrive at your overnight location.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/st...53005/download

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few states still consider all firearms illegal. The only time my trailer was searched was when I crossed over into Canada. I believe in don't tell.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joesmainship View Post
    An advanced search for threads on firearms yielded discussions about going to Canada and posts by RamGunner, but I have a newbie general question about keeping a firearm in your travel trailer in the lower 48 USA states. I keep loaded pump shotguns in my home for self protection and think I would like to carry one with me in my travel trailer for the same reason. My question is, do they view the travel trailer as a motor vehicle for gun purposes?
    That is a VERY good question. The answer is not simple. Some of it boils down to semantics, while the rest is fairly clear cut.

With a motorhome, in general, when in motion it's a motor vehicle. When parked with the intention of being stationary, it's a habitation. In other words, if temporarily parked at a rest stop for a bathroom break, or in a parking lot, it will most likely be considered a motor vehicle. If parked at a campsite, it's a habitation.

With a trailer, in general, when in motion since it's not readily accessible by the driver, it's considered like a trunk (especially if you keep it locked). When parked it's a habitation.

Does the average patrol officer know this? It's usually taught in their POST (or POST equivalent) training. However, with everything else they are taught, what are the odds that training was RETAINED? In other words, you experience may vary.

I know in some states, not my home state, it is illegal to have a concealed firearm in a motor vehicle. Are there some states where it would be against the law for me to have a shotgun in my travel trailer?
    IN GENERAL, most states will permit you to have a firearm in your habitation (do you see what I did there?). There are exceptions (types of firearms, operational condition, ammunition used, etc.) so know the law where you are.

Do you have a Concealed Firearm Permit from your home state?

If yes, you need to look at RECIPROCITY and RECOGNITION for the specific jurisdiction you are in. Here in Utah, a CFP covers shotguns, rifles, and handguns. But when I go to another state and run on either RECIPROCITY or RECOGNITION, I'm subject to their rules. They may or may not permit that. They may permit you to have it loaded in your vehicle, loaded in your trunk, unloaded in your trunk, etc.

The laws where you are may prohibit certain types of firearms, or certain types of magazines, or certain types of ammunition. You need to know those laws. There are states that we will not travel into because there are firearms, magazines, and ammunition in the trailer that are not illegal under any federal law, nor under the laws of most states, but are illegal in certain other states. We generally don't go to those places, and if we do have to go to one of them it's not with the trailer.

Does that help at all? The posted reference to the ATF book is a good one (I carry a printed copy of that, plus one of all the the federal laws). Apps like LegalHeat are also good references.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several apps out there the gives the basics for Andriod it call concealed carry laws and seems to be fairly up to date but a with disclaimers that may not be. I use it as quick guide and keep mine in my 5th wheel locked with ammo in another door while on the road. If you carry a pistol please research you ammo and get one with the least amount of penetration so you not going thought several RVs walls.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice and thanks to all. I don't think any LEO with common sense would have a problem with the shotgun stored in the travel trailer unloaded away from the ammo while traveling or your reason for having it (hunting, of course). Of course, I don't see any sense in mentioning it to them either. Agree with your assessment on Canada, don't take one there. I'm not advocating one weapon over another, but I don't have much use for a handgun. I've seen guys shooting at each other in the heat of battle from very close quarters and miss as much as they hit. You have a better chance with a shotgun and every criminal knows the distinct sound of a pump shotgun. Again, just my humble opinion.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . I'm not advocating one weapon over another, but I don't have much use for a handgun. I've seen guys shooting at each other in the heat of battle from very close quarters and miss as much as they hit. You have a better chance with a shotgun and every criminal knows the distinct sound of a pump shotgun. Again, just my humble opinion.
    I was taught something totally different. If walking down a hall way you don't want the first thing breaks the plain of the room is the barrel of long gun. My little pistol has green laser and we were told if you in your RV bedroom and someone breaks in just kneel and pause in the bedroom door way and point the laser down the hall way and move it around. Most people know at that point here is probably a gun and exit the RV. If that doesn't work advance with weapon close to body to prevent exposing the gun prior to you see the intruder. Just different people taught you then taught us.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice and thanks to all. I don't think any LEO with common sense would have a problem with the shotgun stored in the travel trailer unloaded away from the ammo while traveling or your reason for having it (hunting, of course). Of course, I don't see any sense in mentioning it to them either. Agree with your assessment on Canada, don't take one there. I'm not advocating one weapon over another, but I don't have much use for a handgun. I've seen guys shooting at each other in the heat of battle from very close quarters and miss as much as they hit. You have a better chance with a shotgun and every criminal knows the distinct sound of a pump shotgun. Again, just my humble opinion.
    You're right, most LEO will not. The other thing (traveling in the states) is how will they know it's in there? As long as you don't grant permission, they need a warrant.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    You're right, most LEO will not. The other thing (traveling in the states) is how will they know it's in there? As long as you don't grant permission, they need a warrant.
    Except if your RV catches on fire and it falls out into plain sight while they are fighting it.... Oops.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure that you look up each states specific gun laws before you travel. A shotgun is a good choice, but leave it stock as a "hunting weapon." Some states have specific restrictions on some rifles and handguns.
    Todd & Kelly
    Las Vegas, NV
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast