User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disney World Fort Wilderrness Resort

Since this is my first review of a campground, I'm not really sure where or how to be begin. So I hope you guys will bear with me. In my mind, this reads like some kinda engineering status report. So if it does and bores you, I apologize.

Let's start with the basics. The campsites at Fort Wilderness were probably established in the early to mid '70's. At that time, I'm certain that the Disney Imagineerns figured that most RV's were of a certain size. So they sized the RV spot's accordingly. Flash forward to todays' RV's which tend to be larger and one begins to see an issue. However - not all is bad news. The upside is that all of the sites are eff-eee-ell flat and they have ample power. The premium sites have cable and waste and grills and pic-nik tables and are super nice. The down side is one has to be really familiar with the campsites in order to not have a spot that is a test of one's backing up abilities to get into. Sadly - that would be what we were assigned. Fortunately, a gentleman was very suave in suggesting he could get my 337 in our spot. Due to my (ahem) large ego I told him, "Here's the keys - have at it". And dam if the sonafabitch didn't poke it in there. Anyhow.......

Disney apparently has widened and lengthened all their sites in order to keep pace with the ever increasing size of RV's. But here's what we discovered....the camp sites are situated in "loops". if you have a tow behind or 5er, it's best to get an ""interior" spot in the loop because backing into these is pretty easy. If you are a Class A, interior or exterior sites are not an issue. Do a Google Earth map search, zoom in and I think you'll see what I'm taking about.

So......the electricity and cable and water were just like home - rock steady. We had (at least I thought we had) an issue with our cable connection. The wife called the office and it wasn't 5 minutes that a technician showed up and helped resolve the issue. Again - Disney customer service.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160914_154449.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	5621

The entire the resort was just like any other Disney property - immaculate. Even the fellow campsters were awesome. Our dogs (and we) appreciated the dog run & play area near our site and it was an excellent way to meet other dog owners/campers.

The resort itself had more things to do than we really knew about. In hindsight - if one was to stay there a full week with kids, you'd probably never have to leave the resort and if you did, it would be for a day or because you wanted to get away. Yes - there's that much to do at Fort Wilderness. Pontoon boats, canoes, horse riding, outdoor movies.......there's even a "canteen" where Mom & Dad can get a beverage to "calm their nerves" LOL............

Sadly - it went by way too fast like all vacations. We're neophyites at RV'ing......but Fort Wilderness is on our "go back" list when the grandson is a wee bit older.. OK.........I admit it - I wanna go back too. LMAO

Tom

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Thanks for the report and picture. I think it read quite nice. One question though: what was the cost? It appears you had a site with full hookups.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest if you take grandchildren plan on a week but buy 4 day, Parkhopper pass. There is plenty to keep them entertained in the campground and give you a chance to rest and recover, JMHO
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have stayed there twice, once with the grandkids and once with out. Very enjoyable both times. First class stay over all.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great report and the insight. We've actually put this our list of places to go.
    We stayed at the Disney Inn with our kids around 28 years ago the first time and had a blast.
    Tommy & Elaine Thornton
    Manassas, VA
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Z-71 6.0 crew cab short bed
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks TitanXD, I just booked 9 days over Christmas next year. One question, did you see any motorcycles in the campground? Just hoping they don't limit vehicle counts (one TV, one TH and one Motorcycle)...

Thanks!
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great report. What kind of site is that? Looks quite roomy! We are staying there for a few days early November after we pick up our Momentum. Apparently, it's a busy time of year, we were only able to book 3 nights, but I will keep trying to add days everyday until we have to leave.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread is a few weeks old but I wanted to jump in as we have been to WDW many, many times (both hotels and Fort Wilderness). Fort Wilderness is great with my only gripe being the same that TitanXD pointed out as the loop roads are very narrow and with all back in sites this makes it tricky. As was pointed out being on the inside of the loop gives you the advantage of hanging your head out the drivers side window and putting it right in. Being on the outside of the loop puts you strictly on your mirrors. You don't want to attempt backing a rig of any size in FW without a spotter! I believe all the sites are the same size 18' wide and about 70' deep back in FHU and the difference in Premium Vs. Preferred primarily has to do with how close you are to the amenities such as comfort stations (showers, laundry, etc.), pools, recreation, retail, etc. The sites are level concrete (the entire thing is concrete - very nice) with cable, 50/30/20, water hose, water hookup, sewer, grill and composite picnic table. The place is great fun and there are many planned and individual activities. There are buses provided at no additional charge that can take you to all four parks. Very clean also. We typically go in the summer as our kids are still in school and the rate is right around $95-$105 per night.

On a side note when we were there this June our 15yo on was hurt badly on his bicycle and required hospitalization/surgery (yes you read that right - 4.5 day ordeal - hard to believe!). He was going too fast, etc. and the rest was history. Absolutely no fault of FW. All paths and roads are well lit and maintained. The FW "cast members" were wonderful. Checked on us each day by phone, extended our stay in the site at no charge, made the unused portion of our tickets good for another 36 months at no charge (typically tickets must be used within 2 weeks), gave both our kids a gift basket - they could not have been more accommodating.

If your travels take you to Florida I recommend giving it a shot!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an app called "fort wilderness sites" that has been helpful for us. It has site dimensions, difficulty of backing in, and a photo of most sites. If you have apple devices, its a phone app and may not show up if you search on an iPad or Mac without adjusting filters to include phone apps. We find it helpful to verify a site could accommodate our rig before leaving the check in area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jason and Liz
    2016 Reflection 357BHS
    2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW Diesel