Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storage door latches (basement)

Can anyone verify the slam latches installed on the Momentum 397 TH basement doors are manufactured by Lippert?

Both of my street-side latches are broken. One, when unlocked, the handle kind of "flaps in the breeze", almost as if the plunger is no longer connected to the handle. The other...the plunger fell completely out of the latch altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have two that I took out when I went to one key. I'll have to make surethey didn't go into the scrap bin. But if you'd like them you're welcome to them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureRider View Post
    Can anyone verify the slam latches installed on the Momentum 397 TH basement doors are manufactured by Lippert?

Both of my street-side latches are broken. One, when unlocked, the handle kind of "flaps in the breeze", almost as if the plunger is no longer connected to the handle. The other...the plunger fell completely out of the latch altogether.
    I had the same problem (still do, but haven't contacted support yet) but found that if you close the latch, while holding the latch handle closed in place, it will at least lock for you. You would need to push the plunger in before doing this. I hope it helps. I will be reaching out to GD when I get back from the beach next week.
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keywestparrothead View Post
    I had the same problem (still do, but haven't contacted support yet) but found that if you close the latch, while holding the latch handle closed in place, it will at least lock for you.
    Update: I was able to retract the plunger with a couple of small flathead screwdrivers, and open the hatch.

After removing the four screws, and the slam latch, I found that the screw that holds to operating latch in place was loose, allowing it to slip over the plunger retainer lip...rendering the handle useless.

So, I removed the screw completely, reseated operating latch, ,put some Loctite on the screw, and reseated it! Works as expected. Problem solved!!! Now, I will remove all of the other slam latches, and apply Loctite to the operating handle latch retaining screw to insure I don't see this issue again.

As for the other latch (where the plunger fell out)...the spring that controls the plunger was GONE... Fortunately, I was able to find a replacement spring, reassembled, and Loctite on the screw, and it works as well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7794.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	5664

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I was able to retract the plunger with a couple of small flathead screwdrivers, and open the hatch.

After removing the four screws, and the slam latch, I found that the screw that holds to operating latch in place was loose, allowing it to slip over the plunger retainer lip...rendering the handle useless.

So, I removed the screw completely, reseated operating latch, ,put some Loctite on the screw, and reseated it! Works as expected. Problem solved!!! Now, I will remove all of the other slam latches, and apply Loctite to the operating handle latch retaining screw to insure I don't see this issue again.

As for the other latch (where the plunger fell out)...the spring that controls the plunger was GONE... Fortunately, I was able to find a replacement spring, reassembled, and Loctite on the screw, and it works as well!

I have had 3 of mine do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my 397th the slam latches have a metal cover on the backside that is riveted to the door. Mine did the same thing so I drilled a hole in the metal cover right over the head of the Philips screw and tightened it up. Problem solved.

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats awesome! I'll give it a shot this weekend :-)
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU