User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for advice....buy now or wait til the spring??

We've settled on the 384GK after many weird circumstances. But anyways, we were gonna wait til spring to purchase. Mainly just because we cant go anywhere this winter, so why store it and watch the warranty tick by. Was just wondering if there was any reason, with the recent event, to buy now and not wait. I'm in the camp of GD not changing how they handle business, but I'm not so naïve that a new parent company can do whatever they want. We really want to wait, but I also want a GRAND DESIGN SOLITUDE, nothing else. What say you??
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not going to use it, wait for the purchase--no insurance, no interest (if financed), save warranty for when you use it. And you can save up for your Summer travels. You can also have time to order the RV exactly as you want it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would do it wait till there is snow on the ground and go in and get one price out and firm quote on price. Seem that in the dead of winter the prices are lower then when spring hits. Then I would wait till about 6 to 8 weeks before it gets into camping season and place the order. Around here I would probably order the first week of Feb. and put in the middle of March and first part of April at the latest.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our last trailer (before the GD) in January. The dealer stored it for us and didn't finalize the sale and start the warranty until we picked it up in April
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "When the warranty starts" is not particularly important when buying a GDRV product. Take delivery when it best suits you. Most on this forum are past their documented warranty period . . . and still being taken care of by GDRV's amazing customer service.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm so praying that doesn't change Rob. That's the only part of the merger that is scaring me. Customer service was one of my main reasons for getting the Solitude!!
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on what a fried that sells high end RV's says prices will be lowest in the dead of winter (Dec they Feb) and highest right about now as the snowbirds are trading up. Spring is also a high sales time so prices reflect that by staying higher.

This contradicts my experience which is prices are always highest when I want to buy something and lowest when I am selling something...
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i will give my 2 cents: Start looking at them and make sure the options, if any are on your list. Start getting your order ready if you have decided what you want, get the purchase order started. Get the delivery happening sooner than later so you can take a simple trip or tow to make sure any bugs, if any are resolved before you big travel season. This will also allow a bit of time to "Fine Tune" a few little things you want to do as we all do when we change units. This will give you the time to get r done and be ready. In addition, i am not sure the insurance and storage savings will make that much difference in the over all cost. Add a few things now, discount a few things later, add a few things later and cost of the unit may be higher later, etc. Tags and insurance won't start until you take delivery. Get all the pro's and con's listed, over all cost listed if you buy now or later, etc. Anyhow, we are at about 17,000 miles an love our 303!!! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider is delivery of the unit. My last unit was delivered in early March of 2014. There was quite a bit of snow along the route from Indiana to Arizona at that time. The delivery driver had to drive it on roads that had been freshly salted. Then it was sent back to the factory service center in February of 2015 for some warranty work. Once again, the roads were snowy and salty. The end result was that I had to deal with a substantial amount of rust on the chassis and components. Try and time your order and delivery so that your new trailer won't have to be driven on salty roads. And if it is, you want to make sure that the dealer and you do a very thorough cleaning of any salt residue upon receipt of the rig.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Jim, also as a follow up note to that, following a long trip, short trip or any other as a matter of fact, it is always good practice to clean your unit when you get back home. This will rid any bugs on the paint, road debris such as tar, goop and such off the underside, bugs from inside etc. We clean ours and then also do an application of pesticide to the underbelly and in and around the inside after food removal so if we got a "Traveler" sort of insect, we eliminate or decrease the possibility of any reproduction.
    So lets just keep on keeping on! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast