Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MORryde Rubber Pin Box - First Impression

Through some other threads on this Forum (and others!), I had asked about options and solicited feedback on the various shock-absorbing pin boxes. Never found a head-to-head comparison between MORryde's and Reese's Airborne. Two weeks ago I decided on the MORryde Rubber Pin Box and got it installed after work on Thursday.

Installation by myself took an hour using the bed of my truck as a platform to work from. Using a floor jack, I supported the kingpin of the OEM pin box, allowing me to remove all except two back bolts and pivot the front down to the bed of the truck. After removal of the last 2 bolts, I found the OEM pin box lighter than expected. The MORryde is quite a bit heavier, but most of that weight is at the kingpin.

Lifting and moving the MORryde pin box to stab a bolt hole with a pry bar was the most challenging part, took two tries (and engaged new muscles in my shoulders and lats), but once I had the first bolt in, it was easy from there on out. The picture shows the placement and use of the floor jack to lift the front of the pin box into place. I found the bolt holes to be an identical match to the OEM Lippert 1621 pin box, going back in at the original placement kept overall height the same. Four weight carrying options for the MORryde pin box based on the trailer's GVWR, I went with the 11,500 to 14,000 pound model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161006_180642.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	5710

Test pull yesterday? I was impressed, really muted the movement and feel of the trailer. Unlike their video, I still knew the trailer was back there, but movement much improved. Good value for the money. I'll put about 700 miles on it later this week, looking forward to the drive!

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changed our factory pin box out to the MORyde last year and it was a big improvement. Agree with you that you still know the trailer is back there. Overall I'm pleased with ours.
    Enjoy your upcoming outing.

Tommy
    Tommy & Elaine Thornton
    Manassas, VA
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Z-71 6.0 crew cab short bed
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up Tom. We installed the MORryde pin box this year and it really helps reduce chucking. Well worth the money when you get on bad roads.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine changed when they did the IS conversion. Trailer rides much better.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
    Through some other threads on this Forum (and others!), I had asked about options and solicited feedback on the various shock-absorbing pin boxes. Never found a head-to-head comparison between MORryde's and Reese's Airborne. Two weeks ago I decided on the MORryde Rubber Pin Box and got it installed after work on Thursday.

Installation by myself took an hour using the bed of my truck as a platform to work from. Using a floor jack, I supported the kingpin of the OEM pin box, allowing me to remove all except two back bolts and pivot the front down to the bed of the truck. After removal of the last 2 bolts, I found the OEM pin box lighter than expected. The MORryde is quite a bit heavier, but most of that weight is at the kingpin.

Lifting and moving the MORryde pin box to stab a bolt hole with a pry bar was the most challenging part, took two tries (and engaged new muscles in my shoulders and lats), but once I had the first bolt in, it was easy from there on out. The picture shows the placement and use of the floor jack to lift the front of the pin box into place. I found the bolt holes to be an identical match to the OEM Lippert 1621 pin box, going back in at the original placement kept overall height the same. Four weight carrying options for the MORryde pin box based on the trailer's GVWR, I went with the 11,500 to 14,000 pound model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161006_180642.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	5710

Test pull yesterday? I was impressed, really muted the movement and feel of the trailer. Unlike their video, I still knew the trailer was back there, but movement much improved. Good value for the money. I'll put about 700 miles on it later this week, looking forward to the drive!

Tom
    I'm curious how you feel about this choice now that it has been a while. Do you still like it?

I'm pondering adding the MORryde to my 28BH. I might go with the lighter version (my GVWR is 10995). Thank you for the photo as it answered my question about fitment and bed-rail clearance. From your photo and comments it looks like the pin is located pretty close to the same spot as it was on the 1621.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I'm curious how you feel about this choice now that it has been a while. Do you still like it?

I'm pondering adding the MORryde to my 28BH. I might go with the lighter version (my GVWR is 10995). Thank you for the photo as it answered my question about fitment and bed-rail clearance. From your photo and comments it looks like the pin is located pretty close to the same spot as it was on the 1621.
    Glad it helped!

It is hard to remember how the trailer towed "before" but I'd add one to my next trailer in a heart beat. I do think that it smooths out things enough to make the cost very much worth the investment.

Safe travels.
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy with my Morryde pin box
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with mine as well. Really helps reduce chucking.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear there are many happy customers. It seems like a simple and relatively inexpensive (money, weight, maintenance) fix.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning ahead a bit, but looking at my trailer I think I have 5/8" bolts (Grade 5 with 15/16" head) on my pin-box which would require a tightening torque of 135 ft/lbs according to the MORryde installation guide. For those of you who installed the MORryde yourselves, is this the torque you used?

Thank you,
    Steven
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast