User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Make-Home-Your-Vaca

Really want a Solitude 377MB, but really scared of the lack of CCC!

My wife and I are in the final stages of exhaustive research and preparation to head out full-timing this spring with our two young daughters. We fell in love with the 2017 Solitude 377MBS and were ready to finally pull the trigger and purchase. Then I looked at the sticker that told me it had a max cargo weight of 1,886 pounds. I can't for the life of me figure out how an unloaded 41 foot trailer has that little cargo carrying capacity, which by the way is nearly 1000 pounds less then the specs available for the rig on GD's website. We really do love everything else about the rig, the company, and the community that supports and surrounds it, but can't figure how this is enough weight for full-timing. Does anyone out there have any insight that might help us newbies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. It looks like it is rated for over 2,800 cargo carrying capacity. Maybe the sticker is wrong. Contact Bill Martin
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MHVV--attached GDRV spec page for 377 shows 2800 lbs. average as LC referenced below post #2.........would be surprised to see much less with even all options added but possible I suppose. What sticker reflected 1886#s and what options were on the 377 you looked at ?

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...77mbs-377mbs-r

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Make-Home-Your-Vaca
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    MHVV--attached GDRV spec page for 377 shows 2800 lbs. average as LC referenced below post #2.........would be surprised to see much less with even all options added but possible I suppose. What sticker reflected 1886#s and what options were on the 377 you looked at ?

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...77mbs-377mbs-r

Dan

Thanks for the response Dan. The "Tire and Loading Information" sticker that is applied to the side of the fifth wheel that is specific to each individual rig based on it's weight at the end of the manufacturing process is where I got the 1886 pounds (I attached a picture of the sticker at the bottom of this post). If gives specs on the tires, has the rigs specific vin number, and states "The weight of cargo should never exceed 855 kg or 1886 lbs." I am not sure where they come up with this number! The other sticker right below it states the GVWR is 16,000 pounds and the UVW is 14,054 pounds. So according to my simple math the rig should at least have a CCC of 16,000-14,054= 1,946. I don't know what I am missing.

The options on this particular unit included all standard/mandatory packages (max built construction, peace of mind, residential living, and weather-tek) plus a king-size bed and convection microwave oven.

When I asked the salesperson on the lot he was surprised at the discrepancy in the numbers from the online specs as well. When he text the rep he received a kind of run around answer that wasn't much of an explanation.

I have looked online at all other 2017 Solitude 377MBS-R for sale on various sales lots around the country that have a picture of the weight stickers on the specific rig. They have a variety of CCC according to the stickers ranging from the 1,886 pounds of the one I saw in person to 2,368 pounds, despite all having very similar options. Even at the high end of 2,368 pounds we are still greater then 400 pounds off the online specs.

I was already worried about only having 2,800 pounds of CCC on full-timing rig with 200 gallons of holding tanks and 60 gallons of propane, not to mention we likely wanted to add a generator and W/D. I am very fearful of that number being cut down, let alone if it may be cut down as much as 35%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3689.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	5717

Make-Home-Your-Vaca
    Maybe someone on the forum with more knowledge then me can better explain how they are coming up with the weights for these rigs in the first place. I thought I had a decent grasp on it, but my calculated numbers from the equations I get never match up with the actual numbers from GD. From my understanding the GVWR is arrived at by adding the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) and the Hitch Weight or Pin Weight. So according to the specs for the Solitude 377MBS-R the GVWR should be 16,750 pounds. The GAWR is 7,000 pounds per axle (there are 2 of them) and the Hitch Weight is 2,750 pounds. I am not sure why that weight is then downgraded to 16,000 pounds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 gallons of propane?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One big weight item that you didn't mention is dual pane windows. Was the rig ordered with those? I've heard they weigh several hundred pounds, but vary by model to model.

Make-Home-Your-Vaca
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    One big weight item that you didn't mention is dual pane windows. Was the rig ordered with those? I've heard they weigh several hundred pounds, but vary by model to model.
    To my knowledge, none of the rigs had dual pane windows. But great point, I'll keep a closer eye on that! Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Make-Home-Your-Vaca View Post
    My wife and I are in the final stages of exhaustive research and preparation to head out full-timing this spring with our two young daughters. We fell in love with the 2017 Solitude 377MBS and were ready to finally pull the trigger and purchase. Then I looked at the sticker that told me it had a max cargo weight of 1,886 pounds. [...]
    Will the dealer let you hook up the trailer (or take it themselves) and bring it to some scales to confirm? Math becomes real easy once you know the true weight of the trailer. As many recalls as there are with incorrect stickers on things ... could be a mistake. Scales will solve the problem.

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am following this thread with great interest because I am also very interested in this model and I have heard the weight from the factory can be very different from the published specs. I agree with Tom about getting it weighed before buying.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast