User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing and bedding difference of opinion..

So my wife and I have a difference of opinion with what to do with bedding while Our camper sits for the winter. We have a 2017 Imagine Travel Trailer and it will be covered and stored outside to endure a Wisconsin winter. Do you remove all the bedding from the mattresses? She wants the mattress bare, I would prefer them covered...If there was a smell to develop over the winter at least you would think the bedding would absorb some of the smell and could be washed. Let's pray no mice get in the camper, but if they do I like the idea of the mattresses covered. Would the bedding trap moisture in the mattress? We have one 4# pail of DampRid in the unit.. Thoughts to sway us one direction or the other?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trailer Life magazine has a very good article this month on preparing a rig for winter. Here is a paragraph in the article:

"Remove items that could be used for pest nesting or secure them in totes that are difficult for pests to get into. These include sheets, pillows, blankets, towels and clothing. It's usually harder for pests to get into wall cabinets, so if you have to store these items (in the RV), this may be the best place.".

Hope this helps.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Wisconsin and the pillows, blankets and bed spread stay on the bed but the sheets and pillowcases go to the house to get washed and returned when we load up for the next trip.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always leave Decon out in my rig. 99% of the time, if there is a mouse, it will go back out looking for water to die. Our trailer stays inside my shop so we never unload the bedding other then when it gets washed.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

SnuggleBuggles
    Hi, new from Sydney and going out for trip this Christmas and I think mattress should be covered because moister will badly effect your mattress!

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See??? Shows I'm a newbie at this because I thought everybody that lives up north winterizes their RV's by pulling them to Florida (or so it seems).

Tom

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to be careful with DampRid or similar crystal dehumidifiers. The water that collects in the container will freeze and split the container. Then it will drain out when it thaws. (Ask me how I know this )

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS