Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prodigy P3 Brake Controller Vibration

Curious if anyone else has encountered Prodigy P3 brake controller vibration issues?

I have had a couple of different issues with my P3:

1) When using pullouts to let cars pass that have rumble strips the trailer will brake aggressively when truck tires hit the rumble strips.

2) After hitting rough road area on Hwy 101 Northern Calif. was going down a long 6% down hill and just touched the brakes and controller went 6+ and actually started to lock one of the tires. Let off, tried again still aggressive braking. Kept trying short burst braking, didn't like that bridge at bottom of grade with a turn. Finally got it slowed enough where where I felt safe. Pulled off at next pull off and brakes were pretty hot. Shout down for awhile to let things cool. All was good after that except the rumble strip issue. Turned down the controller a little so braking would not be so aggressive if it happened again.

On return went through Calistoga and there was some road work (vibration) and appx. 25 mph needed to apply brakes, 6+ again. After road work area brakes ok again.

I have read online that some other have had this problem. I will call their customer service and see about getting a replacement unit.

Just curious if this is an inherent issue with inertial controllers.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think #1 is caused to the reduced surface area from the rumble strips. The Prodigy is only applying braking for ideal situations. With the reducing friction because of the rumble strips, the brakes will slights lock up.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I think #1 is caused to the reduced surface area from the rumble strips. The Prodigy is only applying braking for ideal situations. With the reducing friction because of the rumble strips, the brakes will slights lock up.
    Hey Curtis thanks for the input,

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly/completely. #1 I actually experience pronounced deceleration, its like you were moving the manual trailer brake control on to near maximum. You can feel it pull the back of the truck down. The display on the P3 actually goes up sharply where I would normally see a 1-3 on the display it may jump to a 4 to 6 with lite braking.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patwardell View Post
    Hey Curtis thanks for the input,

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly/completely. #1 I actually experience pronounced deceleration, its like you were moving the manual trailer brake control on to near maximum. You can feel it pull the back of the truck down. The display on the P3 actually goes up sharply where I would normally see a 1-3 on the display it may jump to a 4 to 6 with lite braking.

Pat
    I think we're saying the same thing, but I may be wrong. Let's look at it like this, if you had the tire on a treadmill spinning and applied brakes to it, but not to the point of lockup, then lift it, the tire will lockup. I think the same is happening on the rumble strips. The you have less surface area with the rumble strips, because of the divots, so what's happening is the wheels is briefly, ever so quickly, locking up, thus causing the pulling motion.

2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just talked to Prodigy P3 tech support.

• The guy said that vibration can confuse the inertia sensors and cause extra braking.
    • I didn't get a very clear answer, but it sounds like it uses inertial sensors like in a cell phone.
    • Suggested repeating the controller braking procedure. Been there done that a number of times.
    • He suggested when in hilly areas to set the unit to Hydraulic mode, this turns off the hold voltage, and changes some of the internal diagnostics that effect the accelerometer. In electric mode if no acceleration/deceleration and you are just touching the brakes enough to turn off the brake lights, its like being stopped and will apply 25% power to the brakes to hold the trailer. In Hydraulic mode the 25% hold voltage is not applied because "you don't want to keep the hydraulic pump running (generates heat)".
    • Could not get any clear answer on the down hill braking issue. He kind of wanted to blame it on wiring or brakes. New brakes, auto adjust, I have been through the wiring from the controller to the magnets with my Fluke measuring, voltage, current and resistance. Also parallel the wires from the 7-way junction box to the magnets, cutting resistance in half (didn't like the 16 ga. wire they switched to somewhere in the trailer). Was not able to skid the tires previously now can.
    • My mounting is about 45 degrees and square to the truck. So he didn't think that was the issue. P3 can be mounted at any angle front to back, but be square with truck.
    • I told them I would try the suggestions and would hear back from me if the down hill problem persists.

I have read on line that other said the controller work better more towards level mounting. I'm sure Rob will come up with some cool analogy on why this happens, like accelerometers both at 45 degrees making it look like heavy braking.
    As far as inertia sensors, have you ever seen your cell phone or tablet change display position if you hit bumps with your truck? Yep....

Anyway not any real clear answers,
    Pat

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bad was your truck shaking from the bumps?

2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bad was your truck shaking from the bumps?
    Typical vibration, not real bad, but sometimes the highway bumps can be pretty severe, you know those California roads.

For #1 where I've seen the rumble strip issue the most is with the type that are ground into the road, about 2"x3"x1/2" deep, they can rattle you pretty good.

Where I had the most severe #2 issue going north in Redwoods on 101 hit some heavy bumps just before the 6% downhill, I think it confused the controller. #2 issue, yep ha ha ha...

I just put on Air Bags so that may help (have not towed with them yet but will get to going to NorCal Rally). Have new Bilstein shocks. The truck is sound with low mileage.

Pat

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the down hill part, that rings back memories of the old style controller I had in my 91 Suburban. The brake lights and turn signal were the same circuit. We were going down hill, but had to have our emergency flashers on. Talk about a bucking bronco!

BUT I thought the Prodigy was "smarter" than that old style pendulum controller and wasn't supposed to be affected by tilt.

2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the down hill part, that rings back memories of the old style controller I had in my 91 Suburban. The brake lights and turn signal were the same circuit. We were going down hill, but had to have our emergency flashers on. Talk about a bucking bronco!

BUT I thought the Prodigy was "smarter" than that old style pendulum controller and wasn't supposed to be affected by tilt.
    LOL thats funny!!!

So how can I explain: How about XY
    If:
    X = door to door
    Y = front to back

Then the Prodigy P3 can be set up any angle rotated on X. Mines about 60 degrees.
    Must be straight on direction of travel Y and square with X.

If interested see page 3 & 4: http://www.tekonsha.com/support/installation/N90195.pdf

My old Prodigy needed to be level and straight on direction of travel.

Pat

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my understanding of the Prodigy, but it seems Prodigy's response debunks that. Unless it was a REALLY steep hill.

2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast