Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alabama 500 Race at Taladega Alabama

We are leaving in a couple of days for the above event in our M350 and this will be our first attempt at dry camping. Does anyone have any advice or do's or dont's in reference to dry camping?
    Benny and Valinda w/ Dakota (canine)
    2016 Momentium 350M
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 3500 DRW 8' bed 6.6 Duramax w Allison
    B&W Companion RVK3500 20K FW
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benny,

I'm jealous, one of those tracks I want to go to.

Don't know how long you will be there but I guess, keep the showers short and maybe have one of those roll around dump tanks.

BTW, went to Daytona 500 this year. Drove to Florida to buy my Reflection 303RLS and found out the race was the next weekend, had to delay my trip back to Calif. so my brother and I could go to the race. #1 off my bucket list.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat,

Glad you were able to make Daytona. I do plan to keep water usage to a minimum. We are staying 5 days and I am not sure if I am going to top off the fresh water tanks outside the track (if I can locate a place) or purchase water from a vendor at the track. I understand there is a truck that will come around and fill your fresh water tank and they also have a sewer truck that will pump your tanks. (All for a fee, of course) We have always had either FHU or water and electricity so this is going to be a new experience for us.
    2016 Momentium 350M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well enjoy the race! I'm sure others will respond that have far more dry camping experience that me.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I boondock most of the time in my 350m and other than keeping water usage and electricity to a minimum you should be fine for 5 days. I frequently go out for 7 days or so and with 3 people showering and using the restrooms we typically get thru fine. I have solar so I don't worry to much about electricity or topping off batteries, but I would say depending on your usage run the generator a few hours before bed so batteries are nice and topped off so you can run your heater all night, other than that you have more black and grey storage than you have fresh water capacity so you'll be fine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks 929erfan. That help a lot. There is only two of us so I think we will do fine unless the beer starts to flush the body system. Do you usually haul your fresh water or pick it up just prior to arrival at the site? Mine has a 117 gal tank and we normally only carry about 1/3 tank for flushing the toilet for bathroom stops along the way.
    2016 Momentium 350M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have dry camped at 'Dega several times. I have a TT with smaller tanks. We arrive with full fresh water and usually get pumped the last evening or morning before we leave. Just two of us and haven't run out of fresh or filled the other tanks. Gray tank is the one we have to watch; but, is easy to flag down the pumper truck if needed. Don't mind the cost as the family campground is very inexpensive. We stay at the family campgrounds at the south end of the track and there is a dump station next to the bath house. Water there also; but, don't think it is certified potable.
    Bill

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to get water close to where I camp so I don't have to haul a full load long distances, I have the same amount as you and I only take enough to flush and wash hands too, maybe 1/3 or less then fill when I'm close

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dry camped there once--on the back of the track for free.

I knew I was in trouble when 4 RV's full of rednecks pulled into a circle behind me. Some drunk guy handed me a microphone and said it was my turn--for karioke. And the song was "T for Texas" by Ernest Tubb. They were a pretty uncouth bunch of people.

Those guys ran their cheap B&S powered construction generators from 7:00 a.m. until midnight--deafening. There must have been 10,000 RV's at the track when I went, and it looked like a city of white. It sure beat all the tent camping, especially when the downpours resulted in floods.

Have a great time--and take plenty of beer and food. It's maybe 10 miles back toward Anniston to the nearest good grocery store.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the information. I feel a lot better with your input. I'm sure I will have some lessons learned by the time I leave there.
    2016 Momentium 350M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast