Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here ya go. I've cut and paste the text but can't do photos. I'll keep trying.

"UPDATE: for anyone having issues with their bedroom slide, or specifically the front slide outs with the Schwintek system. These slide outs are prone to leaking underneath and causing the OSB to get saturated with water. My particular leak was found to be at the outside corners of the slide away from the trailer. I believe this to be more common of an issue as most people have probably not checked for any staining there (personally have looked under 2 other Solitudes and found signs of leaking). Finally, after about 3 weeks of diagnosis we (Devin Helland and myself) have identified the issue and remedied it. I am posting this so that others might find it helpful. My issue (and probably others) lies in the sealing of the Schwintek gear bars. The backside of these bars are hollow allowing the freeflow of water throughout. Below I have listed the procedure we have used to stop any leaking caused specifically by these tracks. Here goes:
    1) Rule #1.....silicone sucks! I have experienced first hand the downfalls of using silicone on areas exposed to the kind of water runoff as these Schwintek gear bars are. I used Proflex Rv (non silicone base) and have found it to be superior.
    2) remove ALL silicone around the Schwintek gear bar and clean thoroughly removing any oil left behind (nothing adheres to silicone. Even silicone).
    3) Remove screws securing schwintek bars to slide out up to the rubber seals where the slide out goes into the rv.
    4) Pull gear bar out from slide at facia end (about 1 1/2" is all thats needed). Don't worry, the bars are not carrying the load of the slide out.
    5) install butyl tape in place of foam already there along where screws are.
    6) CRITICAL: place large bead of Proflex vertically along where back of Schwintek gear bar meets the flange of facia trim. This prevents water from getting inside and travelling behind gear bars. This bead of Proflex must fill the hollow area behind this gear bar COMPLETELY prohibiting the flow of water. It's a little tricky getting the caulking back there as you can only pull the track out so far. Might have to use fingers to tool it in there. I have identified this area with a red line in a photo attached.
    7) Push gear bar back onto slide and re-install screws. Butyl tape and Proflex should squish out a little. Tighten screws down but don't strip them.
    8) Remove any excess butyl and shape Pro flex with your finger using soapy water.
    9) Apply Pro flex on top of bar the full length right to outer facia trim. ***Do not caulk underneath bar where it goes over outer facia flange. Any water needs to be able to escape without backing up into track.

The above procedure has completely stopped my leaking Schwintek gear bars. I'm sorry I didn't incorporate the pics with their own caption, but am lucky to have accomplished as much of this as I have. I have put some pics on for reference and myself or Devin Helland would be happy to explain any details if needed. This is a very inexpensive relatively simple fix that anyone moderately handy can accomplish on their own. Once diagnosed, the fix was maybe 1-2 hours for both bottom gear bars ( or you can take it to the dealer and leave it for 6 weeks and hope they took the time to fix it properly). Hope this helps!! "

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    We had a leak on our bedroom Schwintek slide and turned out to be the drip tray. Easy fix. It's just realizing that this drip tray setup exists.
    Jim
    What is this "drip tray" you are talking about? I can here a drip once in a while in our living room ( front living room) of Solitude on the street side. A little bit of water is coming in tonight. We are camping on the Oregon Coast just south of Tillamook ( wet, wet, wet).
    I think extra water is coming off the rain gutter and getting caught by a little wind and flipping in somewhere.

Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123