Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED Pantry lighting (another post) in Reflection 313RLTS TT

Many have added LED strip lights to their pantry in order to improve visibility throughout the pantry. Our 2016 313 already had a motion sensing puck light in the pantry ceiling. I like motion sensors for this application, so I decided to continue in that theme. Due to my normal desire to start and finish a project as quickly as possible, I did not take pictures during the installation. Turned out very similar to Eaglehead's pics I found while searching for others posts on the topic.

The factory light and it's poor performance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161022_161430[1].jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	5853

The motion sensor I installed, pulled power from the existing fixture, and wired to light strip using some old power supplies from various PC accessories.

Name:	20161022_161446.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	5854

Wiped down the door perimeter with rubbing alcohol in an attempt to promote sticking

Name:	20161022_161543.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	5855

And the finished product. The factory light has a different 'temperature' so I just turned it off. It would drive me crazy to see them both on and different colors.

Name:	20161022_161436.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	5856
    Last edited by dannysdaddy; 10-24-2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: edit attachments
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks nice. I lived on Dale street in Colorado Springs a few years, many years ago
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if you could have pulled power from the light socket in the existing fixture, and used the motion detector from that?
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    I'm wondering if you could have pulled power from the light socket in the existing fixture, and used the motion detector from that?
    I considered that, but found two problems. Very limited space between the factory motion detector and the LED bulb for one. The other was color related. The factory bulb is warmer than the light strip. ( I could have been more critical with the light strip I bought, but for $7 I couldn't complain too much.) I would have had to leave the factory light on to power the strips, but the color difference would have driven me nuts... I'm a little OCD.

I also thought about disconnecting the factory bulb completely, but in the event my bride wants the extra light on the top shelf I would have been up a creek for sure.
    Dave & Becky
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand on the color issue. I prefer the whitest lights, and the ones in the trailer are warm. Eventually I'll get them replaced.
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking about this one for a while. My wife is short. Really short. Under 5'.

I had replaced the bulb in the interior fixture in the pantry with a really bright LED, but she still had to get on a stepladder to reach it to turn it on, and it only lit the top shelf. Ours didn't have a factory motion detector. I took your idea and used the following components.

12VDC motion detector : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

White LED Light Strips : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I removed the factory fixture at the top, and was able to re-use two of the screw-holes from the original fixture to mount the motion detector. Before I mounted it, I set the dial on the side to the shortest delay - which worked out to be 2 minutes. I have to do something to cover the rest of the hole where the factory 12VDC wires come through the ceiling in the pantry. I was lucky in that there was just enough wire after cutting off the factory fixture to connect it. They used crimp connectors, so I cut it as close to them as possible.

I then cut two strips of the white LEDs. I soldered wires onto one end of each strip, and started each one at the middle above the door on the inside. They run to their respective side, then down. The wires were then connected to the output of the motion detector.

Now when you open the door, they turn on and illuminate everything in there. When you close the door, they turn off two minutes later. Since the LED's start at the middle, they light up the whole top shelf and we won't miss the factory fixture. I could have left it and hooked it to the output of the motion detector as well, but it really isn't needed.

The segment run down each side does a good job of illuminating the lower shelves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    I have been thinking about this one for a while. My wife is short. Really short. Under 5'.

I had replaced the bulb in the interior fixture in the pantry with a really bright LED, but she still had to get on a stepladder to reach it to turn it on, and it only lit the top shelf. Ours didn't have a factory motion detector. I took your idea and used the following components.

12VDC motion detector : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

White LED Light Strips : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I removed the factory fixture at the top, and was able to re-use two of the screw-holes from the original fixture to mount the motion detector. Before I mounted it, I set the dial on the side to the shortest delay - which worked out to be 2 minutes. I have to do something to cover the rest of the hole where the factory 12VDC wires come through the ceiling in the pantry. I was lucky in that there was just enough wire after cutting off the factory fixture to connect it. They used crimp connectors, so I cut it as close to them as possible.

I then cut two strips of the white LEDs. I soldered wires onto one end of each strip, and started each one at the middle above the door on the inside. They run to their respective side, then down. The wires were then connected to the output of the motion detector.

Now when you open the door, they turn on and illuminate everything in there. When you close the door, they turn off two minutes later. Since the LED's start at the middle, they light up the whole top shelf and we won't miss the factory fixture. I could have left it and hooked it to the output of the motion detector as well, but it really isn't needed.

The segment run down each side does a good job of illuminating the lower shelves.
    Sounds like you've done a great job. My IR motion senor is very similar, but allows directional mounting. I might have gone with a sensor more like you purchased had I not had it left over from a previous lighting project. I just realized I never linked to the products I used here. My FB post had several comments looking for links, but I neglected to share them in the forum.

Sensor - https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Sensor...+motion+sensor
    LEDs - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing how much Amazon pricing fluctuates. At the time I ordered, the LEDs were $7.98

The lower profile of the switch you chose may be a better choice overall. I have a feeling mine may get knocked around removing the coffee pot we keep on the top shelf. I'm sure the changes made you and your bride happy!
    Dave & Becky
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They made her VERY happy, and our daughter is fascinated with it now too. It's funny the stuff that kids notice. She is mesmerized by the vent fan opening in the kitchen, and now seeing those lights in the pantry turn on when you open the door..once she is tall enough that door will be opening and closing a lot.

It seems that Amazon prices can change several times a day in some cases. Mine were about the same price as yours when I bought them, now they are up to $9.98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a shot of the sensor and the lights on the upper cabinet. We've been using it to store stuff for later during Thanksgiving.

I left the factory screws in the other two mounting holes for the original fixture. I'll patch them eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny,
    I also live in the Springs. Would like to talk to you about your mod. Message me if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast