Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some assistance/guidance

This is only my 2nd post here as a member and soon to be GD Reflection 303RLS owner. It's coming off the line 11/3 and hopefully be delivered to the dealer 8-10 days later per my salesman. We are experienced (but not seasoned) campers. This is our first new rig and I wanna get going in the right direction right off the bat. I'm familiar with PDI inspections but never done one. Obviously I'm going to take my time and ensure all electronic stuff and appliances work. Also pay close attention to the leveling system instructions, drawers, cabinets, trim, plumbing etc. Is there anything else anyone can tell me that maybe I'm not thinking of? Anything that that seems to be common with GD I need to be looking for? We are super excited and can't wait to get in it and get going!
    Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been a hotly discussed issue on this and other forums (greasy brakes) that seems to effect all campers being built on LCI frames/suspensions. The short version is LCI over greases the wheel bearings by forcing too much grease into the hub and it leaks out onto the brakes making them useless. I would make the dealer pull each hub/brake drum to verify there is no grease, remove the excess grease, repack bearing and replace seals. Mine only had to go a little over a 100 miles from factory to dealer and it had grease leaking out, your dealer is 800 miles. GD and LCI have been good about fixing after the fact. You can do more research on here by searching grease on brakes. FYI this is not an exclusive problem for GD since LCI provides most of the under carriage in the RV industry it is wide spread and a big safety concern if you have no brakes. End of negative comments. We have had our 303 for a little over a year and love it. You will find a ton of info/help on this forum. Grand Design has great customer service, don't hesitate to call them for help. Welcome to the GD family.
    Chuck

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Grand Designs are nice units with lots of fluff. I would also strongly advise to have ALL wheel bearings pulled, cleaned, repacked, and new high quality seals installed.
    All four of my brakes were covered in grease. Most likely this occurred right from the start, as the brakes never felt like they were working correctly when new.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the brakes and wheel bearings make sure you test everything. Fridge, stove, air, furnace, auto levelling, plumbing, lights, electrical outlets and all doors. I climbed up on the roof of ours to make sure it had no bubbles or poor caulking. Don't let the dealer rush you.
    Everything worked well in ours. Just a couple of minor issues after that I could handle myself. We're extremely pleased with ours.
    Good luck.
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also fill all tanks - fresh, gray and black - and dump, plus run water using both city water and pump from the tanks. Look for leaks, sagging belly, etc after running plenty of water through the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In addition to the greasy brakes which several folks have discussed, take a DVD with you and make sure that it plays okay in the DVD player. This is another frequent failure that has to be addressed if you don't catch it in PDI.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the family. I picked mine up 6 weeks ago and the only item I found an issues with was minor. The outside shower hose was on when I picked it up and when I got home to hookup the cable I tired to take it off and it broke in my hand. If on take it off to make sure it works. This was also my first new trailer and except for that I have been overwhelmed with joy.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read on one of the other threads about the propane transfer switch not working properly when switching tanks. May be something to add to your PDI list of items to check, and easily forgotten if you only check to make sure the propane works by lighting the stove, hot water and furnace. Make sure they throw the transfer switch to run off the second tank. If all runs well, one less item to worry about.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clsfly View Post
    This has been a hotly discussed issue on this and other forums (greasy brakes) that seems to effect all campers being built on LCI frames/suspensions. The short version is LCI over greases the wheel bearings by forcing too much grease into the hub and it leaks out onto the brakes making them useless. I would make the dealer pull each hub/brake drum to verify there is no grease, remove the excess grease, repack bearing and replace seals. Mine only had to go a little over a 100 miles from factory to dealer and it had grease leaking out, your dealer is 800 miles. GD and LCI have been good about fixing after the fact. You can do more research on here by searching grease on brakes. FYI this is not an exclusive problem for GD since LCI provides most of the under carriage in the RV industry it is wide spread and a big safety concern if you have no brakes. End of negative comments. We have had our 303 for a little over a year and love it. You will find a ton of info/help on this forum. Grand Design has great customer service, don't hesitate to call them for help. Welcome to the GD family.
    Chuck
    OK, I'm going to be dumb here - who/what is LCI? And do Grand Design fifth wheel trailers also have this problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    OK, I'm going to be dumb here - who/what is LCI? And do Grand Design fifth wheel trailers also have this problem?
    LCI is Lippert. Website is. LCI1.com
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast