Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing a queen bed with a king bed?

We're planning on ordering a Solitude 360RL around Christmas time and we were planning on getting the king bed option, and replacing the mattress GD puts in it with the king bed (sleep number knock off) that we are using in our home (we're planing on going full time RVing). After reading the recent post on sheets not fitting the RV king, and learning that a RV king is 72x80, and a residential king is 76x80 I was wondering ... if you order the queen bed (we have a sleep number knock off in a queen we used in our trailer) can you replace it with an RV king later on if you decide the queen just isn't wide enough? It seem like the residential king won't fit in the 360RL because the RV king goes from wall to wall in the slide out.
    Is there anything that changes when you go from a queen to a king (like cabinets beside the queen that aren't there if you get a king)?
    Any insight anyone can provide is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Our 379 came with the King bed option, we replaced it with our Sleep Number Queen. I cut a few inches off each side of the platform. We love it! But, both of us sleep in the middle
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm asking is, if the 5er comes with the queen bed (60x80), how difficult is it to put in an RV king size bed (72x80)? Is there room for the king, or is the space (in the slide out) filled up with something else that would have to be removed to install the king? I'm also assuming the bed frame (wood platform under the bed) would need to be replaced with one that would hold a king mattress.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said you cut a few inches off of each side of the platform. If a RV king is 72x80, and a residential king is 76x80 wouldn't you need to add a few inches to the platform and make it wider so that it fully encompassed the extra width of the residential king?
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rig was delivered with the king size mattress. If you already have the king size mattress I don't believe you will have a problem. Check to be sure your slide will close. You will have a few inches hanging off the platform on each side. I'd recommend buying a sheet of plywood to make the bed platform wider. I hope this is what you are looking for
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    What I'm asking is, if the 5er comes with the queen bed (60x80), how difficult is it to put in an RV king size bed (72x80)? Is there room for the king, or is the space (in the slide out) filled up with something else that would have to be removed to install the king? I'm also assuming the bed frame (wood platform under the bed) would need to be replaced with one that would hold a king mattress.
    If you want a king why order your trailer with a Queen? Just order the king option and then switch out to the sleep number knock off you want and be done with it.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a sleep number knock off queen that we had in our trailer (which was totaled last summer ... straight line winds knocked it and our truck over). We've also got a king sleep number knock off in our house. We were thinking of using the queen until we sell the house in 2 years and then swap the queen out for the king. The problem as I see it is the queen will easily fit in the king size slot, but the residential king is too wide 76" vs 72". We don't plan on using the mattress that comes with the 5er, so was thinking why pay for the optional king if in a couple of years we could easily put our residential king in the 5er when we sell the house.
    I went surfing the web this morning and it took me about 20 hits to find a 360RL with the standard queen bed. As I though, they put a box under the side rails to keep the queen centered in the space. This box would need to be removed if a king were put in, and also I'd need to make the platform a bit wider to accommodate the width.
    Another observation I made in my searches. It appears GD changed the hutch/desk when you come in the door from a turned leg to a solid board. I think I like the solid board a little better.
    Pete & Carla Nelson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, I believe you're overthinking. If you want to switch to king bed later, it won't be much trouble. Take a look at a Solitude with the Queen bed, if you can find one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll share our situation for what it's worth... We ordered a Reflection travel trailer (315RLTS) with the King bed option but found out the dealer ordered it with a queen and never told us. I know this because there are holes on the inside of the slide out where they obviously took out the side nightstands and they put a new piece of plywood under the bed to better compensate for the larger mattress. There are other tell tale signs I won't go into in order to keep this short. We weren't happy when we found out after the fact but at least they did a good job making the King fit. Moral of my story, a King should fit just fine later on with a few mods if you buy a queen. I can't tell you if our King is an RV King or a normal size (I'm out of town or I would measure it) but it seems like a normal King and our regular King sheets fit it perfectly so there's that. It's not a solitude but I bet it's a similar setup. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Libby
    2017 Reflection 315RLTS
    2016 Chevy 3500 Diesel SRW