Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Hitch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Hitch?

Greetings to all. I have used a small motor home for the past four years. I will soon have a Momentum 350M. This is my first time at fifth wheeling so I am a newbie. In trying to figure out how to tow it I have looked at a lot of fifth wheel hitches and read a lot of opinions. I am looking for a hitch connection that can be removed from the bed of the truck so the truck can be used for transport, e.g. kayaks, once we reach our destination. I discovered the Andersen hitch, made in Idaho. This hitch converts the pin box connection to a goose neck connection. The piece installed in the truck bed weighs less than 100 pounds so is easily removed. It seemed to be perfect until I read that Lippert will not stand behind their frame warranty with this set-up because it has not been tested. Lippert will stand behind their frame warranty if the Reese Goose Box 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Air Ride Coupler Adapter is used.
    ( https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...e/RP94623.html
    With the Reese goose box replacing the pin box on the trailer one is left with a ball and two chain attachments in the truck bed which are easily stored, leaving an empty bed.

So my questions are: Does anyone have experience towing a fifth wheel with the Reese goose box and what do you think of it?

Is this a popular setup and I just do not know that? Why isn’t everyone using this method to haul their fifth wheel trailers and have better use of their truck upon arrival?

Is there a benefit to hauling with the larger fifth wheel hitch set up as opposed to a goose neck?

Thanks to all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!! Welcome to our group! I can't help you. I use a Reese 22K fifth wheel hitch
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your tow vehicle, and does it have a factory 5th wheel/gooseneck prep?
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tow vehicle is ford f350 with the factory goose neck/5th wheel prep package.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkermt View Post
    ...Why isn’t everyone using this method to haul their fifth wheel trailers and have better use of their truck upon arrival?
    I think there are several hitch setups that leave nothing in the bed when the hitch is removed. I'm using a Hensley BD3 air bag hitch. I installed a PullRite underbed mounting kit for my truck. I drilled four holes in the bed of my truck. There are four posts that are attached to the underbed brackets through these holes. Rails are then slid onto these posts in the bed and the hitch slides onto the rails. It sounds way more complex than it is but the bottom line is when I remove the hitch, rails and posts (which can be done in less than 5 minutes) the bed is clean.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of opinions about the goosebox and the belief it's so bad for the camper but few real bad experiences I've found zero actually. I'm really tempted to go that route myself.

On the other hand, the Anderson has its own warranty if any issues but there likely wouldn't be given it doesn't stress the frame any different than a normal pinbox. I'm also tempted to go this route, and I think I will be by spring. I like the light weight, cheaper price, and easy ability to use it on any standard pinbox if I need to pull someone else's camper (its happened).

Currently I'm running a Reese Elite 20k which is a nice tight hitch that pulls good, buts it's very heavy.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, with your factory prep, you can buy hitches that drop right in or an adapter that converts any standard hitch to drop right in a remove easily. The downside is weight to most any 5er type hitch. They may drop in and remove easy but it's a beast to do so. You can leave the pin connected and use the 5er to lift it out of the truck, but you still have to muscle it into position upon reinstal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W has a hitch that drops into your setup. That would be my recommendation.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products...rd-puck-system
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Dodge Ram with the factory puck system and have the B & W puck mounted hitch. Ten bed is left clean once the hitch is removed. The hitch is heavy however. I can get it our myself but two people is better.
    2014 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
    2017 Grand Design 360 RL

scott2245
    I saw Poppy's Anderson hitch mentioned earlier.... And hope for a comment from him in this thread, but it is covered in the Anderson hitch thread.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast